Canon 24-70L vs 24-105L

Was wondering if anyone have experience with these two lenses for general travel use. Optically which is the better lens? Any other advantages or disadvantage over one lens with the other? I know the 24-105 is slightly cheaper.

Thanks

Eric

Was wondering if anyone have experience with these two lenses for general travel use. Optically which is the better lens? Any other advantages or disadvantage over one lens with the other? I know the 24-105 is slightly cheaper.

Thanks

Eric
You can see comparison here
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=101&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=355&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
24-70 have 2.8 which is good for low light whereas other one have f4 with IS.

Thanks

Eric

24-70 - IQ very good all round, but the weight really put me off for travel use. imagine body (5DII) 850g++ plus lens 950g ++ plus flash 400 ++ = 2.2Kg. range is abit too short for a walk about lens.

24-105 - IQ very good only at mid-range. at the start 24~35mm bit of distortion. range is good for travel without changing lens. weight about 2/3 of 24-70

hmm, if you gona do alot alot of travelling with your cam, then i suggest you get the 24-105... 24-70 on a FF body or even a xxD series will really turn you off with the weight... imagine carrying a baby around for the whole day?

for IQ wise, 24-70 slightly edges out in sharpness and distortion... and best of all it has f/2.8 which allow you to shoot in dark conditions! this might help alot if you are travelling too...

most impt of all is to see your own usage, and what kind of conditions you shoot mostly in...

I went thru this dilemma sometime ago, but both here's my 2 cents:

24-70 scores on the aperture (f2.8 is quite helpful) and it is probably superior albeit slightly on the IQ part.

However, personally after a tough time thinking, I chose the 24-105 for the following reasons;
1. it's lighter weight (24-70 is almost 50% heavier)
2. extra focal length from 70-105mm which adds to its versatility as a true general purpose/ travel lens. (I hv gone for some trips with only this lens and I didnt miss much)
3. IS feature, which is very useful when it gets darker especially & u can practically reduce the shutter speed to only about 1/6 or so for handheld shots. In rare cases, it also helps when u want somebody else (w not so stable hands) to take a snap of urs.

When all this comes at a lower price, I went for the 24-105L. The 1-stop aperture loss is ok as u can bump up the ISO by 1 stop and these days cameras have excellent noise control unlike a few years ago.

The choice is urs!

Last edited:
Hope Canon quickly release their 24-70L H-IS soon. Then it will be a much more clear cut for most to choose.

I had the same question before and i made my choice just recently.
It was a question on w/c to choose range v.s aperture.

i choose the 24-70 for its f/2.8 and its excellent IQ and sharpness. coz if i need range i choose any of the 70-200mm of canon.

right now im enjoying my 24-70. :) good luck on your choice... :)

been using 24-70 and since its on my 40D, it nv come off unless i wan to use UWA canon 10-22mm

Thanks to all for commenting on your experiences and impressions. The links have been very helpful too, especially the direct comparison of images at The Digital Picture.

Eric

i tried both lenses before i decided to buy it, and now i'm really enjoying my 24-105L;)

reasons why i chose it:
1. lighter than 24-70
2. more range

to TS, im not flaming you but you've been doing photography since 2005 but still dont know that these two lenses have been discussed to death all over the universe.:think:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=654379

Maybe he is like me, come back to the forum/hobby after 5 yrs.

I think the personal replies and from people addressing your enquiries directly, was the motivation and intention of the initial question.

If people know how to register an account and post question, should give them the benefit of doubt that he has already used THE Google.

Anyway a lot of information available, but nothing beat going down to shop and test it yourself.

Last edited: