Canon 24-70 F2.8L IS

well, im expecting the price of the 24-70 IS to be about 2.8k? i'm expecting the 24-70 to be kept in production along side the 24-70IS. prices never go down, they only find reasons to go up. sadly. if i'm gonna spend $3k on a lens, it better be a good one though. for a walkaround, i think $3k is kinda steep. with that price u can get the 70-200 f2.8 IS. i think the new 70-200 f2.8 IS II is gonna cost 3k+. that's what i'm expecting

I have the 24-70, and I hope the new 24-70 IS is lousy so I won't be tempted to replace my current lens because I love it so much lol. Will Canon discountinue the 24-70 non-IS once the IS version comes out? I hope they don't...

i dont think they will. thats why the price of the 24-70 IS will be steeper than the 24-70, just so that canon can make more moolah. if they plan to stop production for the 24-70 they will wait for quite some time...let the public get adjusted/accepted to the price of the 24-70IS...den stop the production of the 24-70. so til then, i believe the 24-70 will remain in production. i'll be quite interested to know about 24-105 II and 70-200 f/2.8 IS II too...the 70-200 f/2.8 IS is such a popular lens, i don't understand why canon wants to make a replacement for that lens? i wonder how much better wld it get? i'm expecting prices of that lens to hit $3.5k. sad.

With so many discussing about this 24-70 IS....i guess it's more or less sure to come in 2010 along with 1DMIV ?

EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS + EF 70-200 f/2.8L HIS. The only two lenses you'll need for walking around. Lol...

bravo! :thumbsup:

ya at least thats wad CR is talking about. 2010 will be a year for those L zoom fans. 24-70 f/2.8L IS + 70-200 f/2.8L IS II = GREAT WALKABOUT COMBO for the next 10 years. And that will cost you about $6k. For a decade worth of wonderful shooting...it's worth the price for many. i can imagine all the photojournalists waiting to snatch those two lenses already. from ST to National Geographic. this combo is a staple for many reportage photographers. personally i will be eyeing the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. a great street/nature lens. =D

With so many discussing about this 24-70 IS....i guess it's more or less sure to come in 2010 along with 1DMIV ?

u mean 1DsIV? ok here's a quote from Canon Rumors:

“Yes, it has been delayed until January now, this is the second time this has happened although this time not due to a technical issues but more marketing. If everything goes to plan (which hardly happens to be honest), January will be a killer month for announcements:
1Ds Mark IV together with the new duo of high end lenses. The 70-200 2.8 IS II and of course the 24-70 II IS.”

70-200 + 24-70 at the same time. =)
i'm sure this piece of news will get many ppl excited. in my opinion, that means the both lenses are here...its juz a matter of time now. =)

Last edited:
I hope the improvement is not just limited on IS but also on the image quality. Paying extra premium on IS feature within the standard zoom-range doesn't make sense.....
I do hope they include the DO element and reduce the weight. Besides, don't change the front thread size, keep it 77mm..... :)

Last edited:
lol...we shall see next year.

just get ready to burn a hole in the pocket when the 2 lenses are out.. :sweat:

Argh,....what a piece of news.....just when i'm already leaning towards 24-105 and thought of getting it within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

lol not me man. lol...i will wait til 2011 before buying 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. still need more time to explore my photography style. gonna get the EFS 15-85 first. oh man, sometimes i get into this L crazy mood, den i will start planning to buy L lenses at the expense of other things in life. its really nice to own an L lens, but den again i figured i'm not a pro and L wldnt really make my photos Luxurious. perhaps L can wait...

Oh....time to start saving money.

hehe from ur nick name i see you are an L lover? lol

Argh,....what a piece of news.....just when i'm already leaning towards 24-105 and thought of getting it within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

24-105 is a pretty good lens and will be a lot "less" compared to the 24-70 2.8IS. If you don't need the lens now, you can always wait :)

or is it for drivers in learning? lol. isn't it amazing? the world is as we perceive it. =) aiyo, if u dunno wad to buy: 24-70 or 24-105 means even after u buy u will wonder "what if i had gotten the other...?". i suggest u rent first...i understand how u feel. i went thru that stage before not too long ago. its called the BBB+L virus. hehe...now im just gonna shoot more with what i have and den understand wad i need most next. =)

24-105 is a pretty good lens and will be a lot "less" compared to the 24-70 2.8IS. If you don't need the lens now, you can always wait :)

Thats y i got myself a 50 F1.8 to trial out the effect of using a prime lens and if i can get use to a prime...i'll most prolly invest in faster wide like F1.4 as mine is 1.6 crop body.

At the same time after shooting a few days of F1.8 in my room for my babies, i'm also worried that i'll be " spoiled " by the shutter speed allowance of F1.8 so much + the light weight.....that i'll curse and swear at the heavy weight + size of 24-70 and yet doesn't allow me shoot at a faster shutter speed if i get even the newer version of 24-70 IS espcially when i'm moving around low light indoors.....so i'm thinking....haha

inside a hdb flat...or a typical SG apartment...unless ur room is facing the morning sun...f/2.8 won't suffice. u will still need flash. and the 24-70 is really heavy and bulky u noe? u haf gotta rent one for a day. i carried it for 3 days and on the 2nd day only, i was already sick of it. yes, nice images (17-55 nicer though) but its heavy and bulky. everywhere i go ppl give me that weird look. well i guess in the age of the internet and fast widespread mediums, ppl are very sensitive to ppl with huge cameras with huge lenses. anyway i dun tink u wanna get the 24-70 for a family outing too, cuz its really troublesome. the weight and size makes it really irritating. can u imagine going for a family outing with a rifle in one hand? for a few hours its ok, it will feel weird but its ok. but as the time goes by, it will eat u up and irritate the hell out of u. your right arm and hand will ache. thats wad put me off getting lenses that are big and to exploring primes. in the end i settled for the 50 f/1.4 and im really glad i did. image quality on par with 24-70 or better - in my opinion. i think the ideal walkabout for 1.6x is still the 15-85. may not be L-rated but it has UD and aspherical glasses. so its almost as sharp and infact better than some Ls like the 17-40L. the build is solid, pretty compact, light but you know its there...perfect for consumers who just wants a general purpose lens. but if u die die want a zoom with f/2.8, den u really haf to bear with the size and weight. =/