Canon 24-70 F2.8L IS

desmondchan

Oct 14, 2009
How true is this news? Heard it is coming out early next year.

The 24-70 f/2.8 has been my favourite-walk about lens.
I personally find it very good even without the IS.
However, I feel that with the IS it would most likely allow one at least 1-2 stops down in terms of shutter speed.
This will certainly be a great enhancement.
Of course, it will also be a great excuse to market it at a significantly higher price.

the BBB virus is coming back.

oh no.. hopefully the price difference is not that much so that i can let go of the non-IS version and the damage for the IS version will not be that great.. :bsmilie:

I feel that with the IS it would most likely allow one at least 1-2 stops down in terms of shutter speed. This will certainly be a great enhancement.
Of course, it will also be a great excuse to market it at a significantly higher price.

up to 4 stops. IMO, the 24-70 with IS is especially targetted for the video shooters. I don't think anyone can handhold the camera for video withot shake.

oh no.. hopefully the price difference is not that much so that i can let go of the non-IS version and the damage for the IS version will not be that great.. :bsmilie:

The diff between the 100 macro and 100L is about $600? Since the 24-70 is already an L to begin with. The difference should be smaller but it will still be a hefty $2k+. My concern would also be the weight. Will it go past the 1kg mark?

the 24-70 is already 950g. imagine with IS...lol.

Last edited:
i doubt IS adds that much weight to a lens construction. i generally don't feel an extra 100g is too heavy. it is typically the size of the glass elements.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

i think i got used to the weight of the 24-70 more or less.. so it does not make a difference if another 100-200 grams is added to it.. :bsmilie:

so it does not make a difference if another 100-200 grams is added to it.
i use my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM without complaining. sure it's weighty but not that heavy. and i'm a very small guy (5ft). its IS is amazing; can't take photos without it.

I really wished the 24-70mm already had IS because it's so difficult to keep it steady.

i use my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM without complaining. sure it's weighty but not that heavy. and i'm a very small guy (5ft). its IS is amazing; can't take photos without it.

I really wished the 24-70mm already had IS because it's so difficult to keep it steady.

1 lens by itself is ok. The problem is you would bring more than 1 lens out. So if the 24-70 IS weigh as much as the 70-200IS. You would have 3kg worth of lenses. Throw in the camera, flash, tripod. At least 6kg.

1 lens by itself is ok. The problem is you would bring more than 1 lens out. So if the 24-70 IS weigh as much as the 70-200IS. You would have 3kg worth of lenses. Throw in the camera, flash, tripod. At least 6kg.
Solution? Switch to all primes lineup....much lighter also. :bsmilie:

heavier because you carry more lenses, unless you generally carry only the lens that is mounted on your camera.

EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS + EF 70-200 f/2.8L HIS. The only two lenses you'll need for walking around. Lol...

that is exactly what i carry around with me, and i am fine with that. around 2.4-3Kg is on my hands (cam, lens, flash).

Going from the 70-200mm variants, i estimate the 24-70mm IS is gonna be 1-1.1Kg so not too big a deal.

BTW, is it 24-70 IS or HIS ? I suppose all lenses now will be the new HIS.

up to 4 stops. IMO, the 24-70 with IS is especially targetted for the video shooters. I don't think anyone can handhold the camera for video withot shake.

That is very reassuring to hear, ManWearPants. I believe the IS would be a luxurious item for me. Just that the thought of having to buy a new lens...

I dunno man, am just guessing that a general walk-around zoom is unlikely to go beyond $3K? Just guessing... Else, it'll be a shocking price for a zoom, for me at least, like how the tilt-shift is priced. OK let's not digress, sorry.