Can Tokina 100mm macro lens use for sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laimg

Jun 6, 2006
Hi

I am using the tokina 100 macro lens for portrait.
But can i also use the lens for indoor/outdoor sport?

I know I am missing the USM, what else exactly am i missing for making it a sport lens as well?

Should i get ef 85, 1.8 also?
Thanks!
Happy Hari Raya Puasa

Indoor would be really difficult....because once you hunt, you are gonna loose a few secs...

Outdoor, it will work, but not the best way that you would want it to.
For sports which require lots of recomposition and focussing, like football basketball etc..this lens might not make it...

Yes, the 85mmf1.8 is a good lens, fast enough for sports.

Also... please do note that a macro lens is designed for optimal focusing qualities at close range. So for sporting distances, the macro's focusing may not be that precise.

For this range, I'm using the Canon 100mm Macro USM which has fast focussing on top of macro capabilities.

I think canon version also got more accurate colour. Compare to my 5 other primes, the Tokina's colours is different.

For this range, I'm using the Canon 100mm Macro USM which has fast focussing on top of macro capabilities.

Hi

I am using the tokina 100 macro lens for portrait.
But can i also use the lens for indoor/outdoor sport?

I know I am missing the USM, what else exactly am i missing for making it a sport lens as well?

Should i get ef 85, 1.8 also?
Thanks!
Happy Hari Raya Puasa
Personally, i've captured many fast moving shots using the tokina 100mm. I pick up, focus, and I usually get my shot. More often than not, it's due to my hesitation to press the shutter that I didn't get my shot. the Tokina is plenty fast in focusing, if you're talking about having no drastic changes in distances.

If you shoot from macro to far distance, then you'll be in trouble. Like a player's mole to his full body from one shot to another. If the lens misses focus, it misses focus. You can't do much about it. I've used the 100mm USM edition before. Sure it's fast, but it misses focus relatively often under lower light conditions, so it's not ALOT better. However it might be due to my camera. I'm using a 350D. I've heard that if you use the lenses on a 1series camera the performance is totally different. Lenses zip along, and they just don't miss focus much.

Else train your skill. There are plenty of old school photographers who are able to capture amazing shots using 400mm or 600mm MF lenses, which many photographers using AF can't really match up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.