Can the 28-135 USM be used as a "macro" lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
glt said:
btw, does the 25mm ext tube work with my 50mm lens as well?

Yes, it should work, but the focusing distance will be super near, so much so that the lens may kiss your subject. I've also taken some photos with this combination:

27790049.jpg

27790050.jpg

justarius said:
We are all here to help each other... :D

Extension tubes are just plain metal hollow tubes. They go between your lens and the camera. Due to some law of physics which I can't quite remember :embrass: , adding an extension tube to your lens allow your lens to focus closer, thus enabling you to get bigger images. Rough guide to amount of magnification obtained: Magnification = Extension/Focal Length. Thus 25mm of extension on a 50mm lens give you 1:2 magnification.

IC IC... tqtq... :D:D:D

Oh, it's the physics law on light... Er, lingfoo, i think sec sch was a LONG time ago. :p Any-o-how, all lens were made to focus just nice, when you put the lens on.. So if you add an extension tube, the focal point of the lens decreases because the light that goes all the wya back to the camera is lengthen.. er must draw diagram one.. haha..

and to glt, yar, 25mm ext + 50mm lens == 1.xx magnification.. can't rem how to calculate.. but yar, it's so close, the dragon fly can kiss your lens.. so.. haha

OzOn3 said:
Oh, it's the physics law on light... Er, lingfoo, i think sec sch was a LONG time ago. :p Any-o-how, all lens were made to focus just nice, when you put the lens on.. So if you add an extension tube, the focal point of the lens decreases because the light that goes all the wya back to the camera is lengthen.. er must draw diagram one.. haha..

and to glt, yar, 25mm ext + 50mm lens == 1.xx magnification.. can't rem how to calculate.. but yar, it's so close, the dragon fly can kiss your lens.. so.. haha

Er... not in science class... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: me dumm dumm...

Neitherway, high school was like... half a decade already... back in m'sia... I am SSSOOOOOOOOOOoo detached.... :sweatsm: :sweatsm: :sweatsm:

thnx everyone for your contributions. glad to see that this post was worthwhile.

btw, i have a 50mm and 28-135. Should i consider buying any other length of extension tubes besides the 25mm. Would other lengths make it easier to take shots? ie, such that my lens need not kiss the subjects?

glt said:
thnx everyone for your contributions. glad to see that this post was worthwhile.

btw, i have a 50mm and 28-135. Should i consider buying any other length of extension tubes besides the 25mm. Would other lengths make it easier to take shots? ie, such that my lens need not kiss the subjects?

Don't think there's any combination of extenders and teleconvertors which allows you to add working distance. A teleconvertor allows you to get 2X image increase while retaining the minimum focussing distance. An extension tube decreases the minimum focussing distance to get an increase in image magnification. If you don't want your lens to kiss the subject at the magnification you want, you might want to use the extension and convertors on a lens with a longer focal length.

glt said:

Same combination as mine. You won't go wrong with the 25mm. I've got the 75-300mm. Can also use this lens too, since the focus distance is pretty far.

If you still worry, my group going for photo shoot this Sat. You may want to come along and I'll bring my 25mm ET for you to try! :)

OzOn3 said:

Don't think so will kiss lah, probably just a peck! ;)

The trick is move in slllloooowwwwwlllllllyyyyy, take aim and shoot! Don't worry, if it's just dragon fly, it won't fly away, provided you go early morning. When it reaches afternoon, they'll get pretty active that even a 70-200 can't help!

See below, taken with 50mm and 25mm ET:

26797235.jpg

Virgo said:
Don't 'mahlu' me lah... yes, USM a bit, but not too much lah.

USM what?... USM lens har??? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Seriously, dunno... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

lingfoo said:
USM what?... USM lens har??? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Seriously, dunno... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

USM means UnSharp Mask in Photoshop. This technique or function will sharpen your pictures. However, applying too much USM will make your pictures too unnatural and inject too much noise.

Virgo said:
Same combination as mine. You won't go wrong with the 25mm. I've got the 75-300mm. Can also use this lens too, since the focus distance is pretty far.

If you still worry, my group going for photo shoot this Sat. You may want to come along and I'll bring my 25mm ET for you to try! :)

what time and where?

glt said:
what time and where?

Not sure yet, haven't confirm. Most likely Little India. If you're interested, I'll let you know probably on Friday. PM me your mobile no, so I can contact/SMS you the details.

Hi guys,

After reading this thread, I went to check out the lens and realised its versatility. I bought it. Great lens, very sharp and IS is a bonus to have, just hope I don't get too dependent to it.

Just dunno whether is the hood neccessary. Sure looks fierce when hood!

:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

maxkcyeo said:
Hi guys,

After reading this thread, I went to check out the lens and realised its versatility. I bought it. Great lens, very sharp and IS is a bonus to have, just hope I don't get too dependent to it.

Just dunno whether is the hood neccessary. Sure looks fierce when hood!

:vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy: :vhappy:

The hood will be a necessity. As the size of the lens is pretty big (72mm), stray light will often go into your shots, especially when you take outdoor photos.

Virgo said:
The hood will be a necessity. As the size of the lens is pretty big (72mm), stray light will often go into your shots, especially when you take outdoor photos.

I just got a imitation one for $30. It looks the same shape as the canon one. Only diff is its got a high gloss finish and a matt plastic inside instead of velvet one.

maxkcyeo said:
I just got a imitation one for $30. It looks the same shape as the canon one. Only diff is its got a high gloss finish and a matt plastic inside instead of velvet one.

Should not have any problems lah. A hood is still a hood. Enjoy!

Folks,

FYI, the Uniplus 25mm for canon is out of stock. Checked everywhere, CP, Konata, J316.

Anyone interested to sell theirs?

glt said:
Folks,

FYI, the Uniplus 25mm for canon is out of stock. Checked everywhere, CP, Konata, J316.

Anyone interested to sell theirs?

Don't worry, wait patiently for stocks to replenish. Good stuff never comes easy! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.