can i use a closeup filter to take long range shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuy

Sep 7, 2002
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
if i'm not wrong, close-up filters r used to magnify small objects like insects, etc rite? can i use it like a teleconverter, to take faraway objects?

I don't think so.

Close up filters are like magnifying glasses, they have a fixed distance where they magnify the objects, beyond that everything is blur or if even further, inverted and very small.

Originally posted by shuy
if i'm not wrong, close-up filters r used to magnify small objects like insects, etc rite? can i use it like a teleconverter, to take faraway objects?
nope, a close-up filter does the opposite actually. for long range shots, i think you're talking about tele-converters, which extend the focal length of a lens. that includes both SLRs and digicams.

ic.. thanks for clearing that up. so if i use a closeup filter, can i still use autofocus and auto-exposure metering? wat brand should i buy?

Originally posted by shuy
ic.. thanks for clearing that up. so if i use a closeup filter, can i still use autofocus and auto-exposure metering? wat brand should i buy?
yes u still can autofocus n autoexposure metering, but the autofocus will be limited to a small range only when it's zoom in the max.

remembered i tried taking using close up filter when zoom out all the way, seem like still able to take the pic but the quality is.... bad.... :thumbsd:

actually, once i forgot to remove my +2 closeup, and most of the pics turn out pretty ok. as long as you're not talking about objects that are really far.

hmm.... y would autofocus be limited to a small range only? how does zoom play a part in focus? newbie here lah... ;p

Originally posted by chenwei

yes u still can autofocus n autoexposure metering, but the autofocus will be limited to a small range only when it's zoom in the max.

remembered i tried taking using close up filter when zoom out all the way, seem like still able to take the pic but the quality is.... bad.... :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.