can advise 70-200mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

twisted illusion

Dec 4, 2008
hi hi, as u all might recall, i got a comment from a shop owner saying my lens got a coat of "smoke" on the 2nd glass element... so here i pull out some of the recent pic i took...

IMG_08682.JPG

no flash, focal length:200mm, F-Number:F/4.5, exposure time:1/750sec, metering mode: pattern, exposure compensation: 0 step
why is this pic taken at 200mm on 1.6X body so blurr, the camera confirmed focus then can snap one ma, then why still so blurr...

IMG_07531.JPG

no flash, focal length:85mm, F-Number:F/4, exposure time:1/1000sec, metering mode: pattern, exposure compensation: 0 Step
do u think this pic is clear enough for a L len... if not, why do u think is so... my setting wrong... most of the time i shot at f2.8... cos isnt an L lens suppose to be sharp at f2.8 always...

or could it be in never use a lens hood under bright sun... i am now trying to analysis why.. hope u guys can help... strong words use tat i am stupid oso can.. i just want to know the cause of this problem... cheers...

worst come to worst, i might really need to sent to canon for their check...

Last edited:
post yr exif for both fotos

IMG_10362.JPG

no flash, focal length:70mm, f-number:F/3.5, exposure time:1/125sec, metering mode: pattern, exposure compensation:0 step

this pic is taken at another outing, but i think its clearer than the above 2 pic (all 100% size after crop, zero zoom)
all these pic at taken at f2.8 with different shuttler speed...
make me suspect there could be nothing wrong with my lens after all...
hope u guys can direct me in the right directions...
cheers...

Last edited:
i think you need to bring to canon to check.. all glass elements should look clear, if you can see a layer of smoke on one of the elements then something is wrong... did you buy this 2nd hand?

as mine is a damn old body, no software to get exif data... can u teach me the most simplest way to get this exif data... my file 100% in jpeg, the exif data is in another folder, all i never delete... i cant get them to link in window xp... can u direct the simplest way...

your first photo looks soft, the 3rd one looks ok but not really sharp. i don't have a f2.8 but my 70-200f4 is definitely sharper than your 3rd one...

i think you need to bring to canon to check.. all glass elements should look clear, if you can see a layer of smoke on one of the elements then something is wrong... did you buy this 2nd hand?

if tat is really the case, i will really need to go down to canon le... mine is not bought, but pass down len... stored inside a dry box in horizontal position for close to 6yrs never touch... but confirm the dry box is working based on the guage reading...

canon quote 120-180 to service.... outside shops reliable or not... some goes as low as 80... but for peace of mind, i rather go canon... but cost is abit heart pain...

it is actually not a "smoke"... but many many particles very very evenly on the 2nd piece of glass element from the front...

your first photo looks soft, the 3rd one looks ok but not really sharp. i don't have a f2.8 but my 70-200f4 is definitely sharper than your 3rd one...

thks for the input... looks like going to the canon service centre is really a must le... thks again...

sounds like fungus.

send for servicing lah. what is some $ for a beauiful foto of yr gal?

hi hi, can u post or email me a pic fom ur len to compare... 10s..

The "smoke" layer is probably hazing, caused by chemical fumes or VOCs (you may get it if stored with plastics in a warm environment). best to have it cleaned out, even if it's not affecting the images.

EXIF data should be embedded in the original JPEGs. Clioboy asked so that we can tell what shutter/aperture/iso the pics were shot at. that way we can see if it's motion blur, or high iso noise reduction causing the softness in the images.

70-200 os my sharpest and CLEAREST lens ! your pictures do not look right for this lens .....time to go CSC

1st picture totally OOF.

2nd picture - look at the hat - very sharp details. Face looks just a tad OOF.

3rd picture a bit OOF.

Can you take a photo of the lens from the front showing the condition and post up here?

Usually, cases like this, before I tell the whole world and panic... I will do a test in a controlled environment cuz it's where you can tell if your equipment is not working or its just purely human error (focus wrongly, hands weren't stable, kid running to fast etc). What I mean by controlled environment is, with the suspected cause like dirty lens glass being cleaned then I will mount camera on tripod and shoot a subject at diff settings, aperture wide and narrow, ISO high and low etc. I believe from here you should be able to tell if anything's wrong.

But I must say your pics look absolutely fine except the first which I reckon is simply focus salah.

Last edited:
what is ur shuttle speed? camera shake? camera holding method ?

The image is soft for L lens.... Maybe it's also camera shake

i already added the exif data from microsoft office picture manager... these are all the data available... any comments... cheers...

sounds like fungus.

send for servicing lah. what is some $ for a beauiful foto of yr gal?

will sent either 2molo or friday... really not fungus, i just checked again.. seems like is a layer of fog....

Status
Not open for further replies.