Camera with long lens in bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Is it advisable to dismount a long lens (e.g. 70-200 f2.8) when carrying lens and camera in a padded bag?

I just acquired a 70-200 F4L (slightly shorter than the f2.8 version) and found that my bags (Lowepro Rover AW II and some smaller bags) doesn't allow me to carry the camera with the lens mounted (unless I rearrange the dividers to place the camera horizontally). Wanted to hear some views before deciding whether to acquire another (bigger) bag.

mpenza said:
Is it advisable to dismount a long lens (e.g. 70-200 f2.8) when carrying lens and camera in a padded bag?

I just acquired a 70-200 F4L (slightly shorter than the f2.8 version) and found that my bags (Lowepro Rover AW II and some smaller bags) doesn't allow me to carry the camera with the lens mounted (unless I rearrange the dividers to place the camera horizontally). Wanted to hear some views before deciding whether to acquire another (bigger) bag.

it depends for how long and under what conditions. if putting the bag in the overhead cabin of an aircraft/bus for a longish journey, then the long lens shouldn't be attached to the body. no point putting excessive stress on the lens mount.

mpenza said:

hi,

i have the same len and 300d as you...

i use the lowepro toploader 75 .. it fits nicely.. no chance of scratch...
additional accessories such as flash fit into the front pocket.... also can carry other small accessories such as filters batteries etc...

if you want to carry an additional shorter len, i add in a len case ... and a bottle holder...

this setup fits really good...

have a 300D, 70-200 f4L, 50 f1.8, 17-40 f4L, 300 f4L and 420EX flash all in a lowepro mini trekker aw... hehe...

dun quite understand your question?
are you asking whether its advisable to leave lens mounted in bag or the other way round.
I think both ways its fine. Just when lens is left on is more convenient when you want to just take out and shoot...
like what erwinx said, if the journey is long, lens should by unmounted.

Well, getting a bigger bag is always a good solution. :)

Depends on how well padded and constructed your bag is...

I just got my Kinesis long lens case. Very well protected even with body attached. Hood has to be reversed though. They also have other bags made for shorter zooms, designed to be stored with body attached, and hood reveresed or in shooting postion.

L511big.jpg

L320630big.jpg

these Kenesis stuff looks cool... where can you find the wides collection of Kenesis bags in singapore???

RossChang said:
these Kenesis stuff looks cool... where can you find the wides collection of Kenesis bags in singapore???

No kinesis dealers outside of US. They do 95% of their sales direct. I am thinking of bringing some more of their stuff in. Can check with me for orders if interested. Quite ex but the quality is there, the cases are very modular and customisable to an extent.

www.kinesisgear.com

Terence said:
No kinesis dealers outside of US. They do 95% of their sales direct. I am thinking of bringing some more of their stuff in. Can check with me for orders if interested. Quite ex but the quality is there, the cases are very modular and customisable to an extent.

www.kinesisgear.com

Kinesis looks cool, practical and seems to suit my needs. But how much, and how long does it take to bring it down here, by DHL or FedEx. Our precious lenses and other gear definitely need reliable bags man. BTW, the others like Lowepro, Crumplers aren't that cheap either. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

How does a question about a 70-200/4 bag get turned into a recommendation for Kinesis long lens bags? I think Erwinx has hit the nail on the head this time.

And Terence, a word of advice for you. If you know what's good for you, you'll *never*, and I mean *never*, mount the camera to a long lens (AFAI concerned a 70-200 is not long) regardless of how well padded your soft bag is. Kinesis or not. Mind you, feel free to disregard this advice and you might well get away with it, but if you have any accidents don't say I haven't tried.

A hard case with solid interiors is a different matter.

I hear you Jed. I actually had a bit of a rethink after my initial post.

use ordinary duffle bag then no need to dismount..actually any shape of equiptment also can just dump in already...for speed and ease of operation in the midst of shooting =)

The Kinesis does look a bit excessive for a relatively small 70-200 f4 but would be useful for those with much bigger and longer lenses. Think I'll just make do with what I have and adapt the bag accordingly if I'm just carrying it around for a short while.

Thanks guys for your recommendations and help.

Kinesis does make a purpose made holster case for the 70-200 mounted. I just bought one myself for the 10D/100-400 combo. It's the C580...

http://www.kinesisgear.com/c/C580.html

You might even get away with a slightly smaller one.. the C500. Everything is modular and can be attached to a belt via a system of quick connect buckles. Can customise your own setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.