Camera settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash54938i

Feb 4, 2010
Hey guys, what's the best settings for night shots??? And in my pictures... My subject tend to be very dark even there more than enough linghting.... What should I do?

Will be helpful if the picture in question is posted for us to help. :)

And if you've read your manual, and read the newbies guides, and read the stickies in the night photography forum....

Please search before asking.

Hey guys, what's the best settings for night shots??? And in my pictures... My subject tend to be very dark even there more than enough linghting.... What should I do?

That's a very subjective statement.
And... you've hardly provided enough information for someone to help you...

If I say "How come my car's fuel consumption is so high? Even though I'm driving quite slowly, I'm spending too much on fuel..."
Will you be able to give me an accurate diagnosis of my "problem"?

Meh, Play nice guys. :)

Although i still agree that google is indeed your best friend, turn to that first if you can. Well for starters if you dont have a strobe or dont wanna use your pop-up flash, you can either

a) Adjust your shutter speed. The slower your shutter, the longer the window of light allowed to reach the sensor. Ok so with a slower shutter speed youll be able to get brighter pictures however it does come with a set back as the slower your shutter, the higher your chances to be susceptible to camera shake or those really horrid blurred out/semi ghost like photos of your family stashed under your bed from last christmas. :bsmilie: (Just remember this, on the safe side Never have your shutter speed anything below your current Focal length. E.g. 50MM (1/60s shutter), 200MM (1/200s Shutter) so on and so fourth, you wont go wrong with this.)

b) Tweak your ISO (Sensor sensitivity to light). Tho remember the higher your ISO the more Noise (Grain) youll get.

Hope this helps, if i missed out anything do feel free to correct me ;) . ~SB

Welcome

Post the pics you wanna discuss. Otherwise NPNT :)

Learn about exposure. No point telling you "take this aperture or shutter speed" - because all these settings are depending on your situation. What you might perceive as "bright" might not be enough for your camera and the settings you have there.
Read your manual (metering!), read the newbies guide, get more information from Google or your library. Exposure is about light - even a book from 20 years back is still valid.

ouhkae... cool guys... im new tho...... so sorry for de lack of info......

ouhkae... cool guys... im new tho...... so sorry for de lack of info......

It's important that you learn to understand what happens in the camera. Otherwise you will never be able to control it in order to get the results that you want to achieve.
Start in daylight, learn the basics. Once you have this baseline knowledge it will be easier to apply this to night scenes.
Get a cup of kopi or theh and read About Exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.