Camera settings in events

Which settings do you guys use? All using Flash

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
Hey guys, just wonder which options do you guys use when shooting stage events. eg fashion shows etc.

do share if there are other settings you guys have.

For fashion show events, you may refer to the EXIF files in some of the posted photographs in the Ready, Lights, Actions! sub-forum to obtain information on the camera settings used to capture the photographs. There is no fixed setting suitable for all events.

IMHO, general intention is to have sufficient ISO setting (without incurring too much digital noise), shutter speed, aperture setting for proper exposure & to freeze motion (unless you intend otherwise) plus sufficient isolation of the subject from the background or other distraction from the photographs. :)

hmm what i mean is, i woudl like to know which mode u guys use.

I always use AV mode for events, but due to the different shutter speeds, the lightings looks different for some of the photos.
But when set to TV mode, my F4 sometimes arent wide enough when i set my shutter at 1/30.

So wondering if any of you guys do your test shots before the event starts, and have ur settings set in manual mode, so as to have a constant exposure throughout all your photos?

Thanks, will check out the EXIF datas =)

i prefer Tv, as the shutter speed doesn't change. so if suddenly go into a darker area, if in Av for example, the shutter speed might drop too low till it becomes blurry (ppl move). so even if underexpose, at least can adjust during PP...

hmm i noticed 2 votes for manual.

care to share what do u guys look out for to meter for ur settings?

for modern slrs with ttl flash metering, the subject will usually be correctly exposed for most of the shutter-aperture combinations. i usually start with manual 1/60 f/5.6 iso 400 and work from there. i set the aperture depending on the depth of field i require, and shutter speed to control the amount of ambient light i want.

The settings will also depend on the lens you use, the available lighting, etc.

I use Manual mode for events but I adjust the shutter speed accordingly to the lighting conditions. I don't just leave it the same throughout.

if the light is constant, then use manual to get consistent exposures
but do test exposures first before the fashion show starts

Manual mode, learn to adjust settings on the fly.

Hey guys, just wonder which options do you guys use when shooting stage events. eg fashion shows etc.

do share if there are other settings you guys have.
If there is enough light, Av mode is good coz it gives a consistent DOF across all pics. If it gets too dark, the shutter speed drops, and you risk getting the movement streaking effect in your pics. Have to keep an eye on the shutter speed at all times when using this mode.

Tv gives a "guaranteed" hand-holdability, but again, when the light falls, the camera just underexposes, and you'd have to trust the flash to meter the main subject correctly. Even when there is enough light, the aperture can vary quite a bit when the lighting changes, so the amount of background can vary a lot between the pics.

Manual gives a consistent DOF across the set and ensures a shutter speed that is high enough. If the flash system is recharging fast enough and metering is consistent, the results are consistent. However, the exposure can get thrown by reflective surfaces and underexpose. Also, if the lighting suddenly increases to more than 2 stops above the manual (fixed) setting, every shot will be badly overexposed. This can happen easily on say, a sudden strong spotlight on an individual with a dark curtain background.

There's no single correct answer. Have to understand how camera and flash metering works, and how to adapt to changing lighting.

Manual mode for me. :D

actually it's depend on the lighting. if the lighting is dark i usually use M mode, on normal lighting i will just use AV mode.

if outdoors without flash i'll still stick to AV. but yea if indoors with ext flash then definetly M

Mine is usually stage dances with rapidly changing lights, I find that Tv works best for me, in capturing the the motion of the performers.

What is problem to cause this effect with the build-in flash?
Actually there is enough light to snap with higher ISO or adjust the shutter and aperture
but dont know why using the build-in flash make the pictures - frontal light is harsh, hard shadows on surfaces behind the subject and background is too dark~~
2j4zx2s.jpg

What is problem to cause this effect with the build-in flash?
Actually there is enough light to snap with higher ISO or adjust the shutter and aperture
but dont know why using the build-in flash make the pictures - frontal light is harsh, hard shadows on surfaces behind the subject and background is too dark~~
2j4zx2s.jpg
have u used a PnS and shoot subjects in the dark with flash? subject will be well lit and background dark. same theory.

provide more info (shooting settings) if you want people to help you.

have u used a PnS and shoot subjects in the dark with flash? subject will be well lit and background dark. same theory.

provide more info (shooting settings) if you want people to help you.

Nikon d60 , 18-55 at 55mm , f 5.6 1/60 , ISO 250 and TTL flash lo~
why?

If there is enough light, Av mode is good coz it gives a consistent DOF across all pics. If it gets too dark, the shutter speed drops, and you risk getting the movement streaking effect in your pics. Have to keep an eye on the shutter speed at all times when using this mode.

Tv gives a "guaranteed" hand-holdability, but again, when the light falls, the camera just underexposes, and you'd have to trust the flash to meter the main subject correctly. Even when there is enough light, the aperture can vary quite a bit when the lighting changes, so the amount of background can vary a lot between the pics.

Manual gives a consistent DOF across the set and ensures a shutter speed that is high enough. If the flash system is recharging fast enough and metering is consistent, the results are consistent. However, the exposure can get thrown by reflective surfaces and underexpose. Also, if the lighting suddenly increases to more than 2 stops above the manual (fixed) setting, every shot will be badly overexposed. This can happen easily on say, a sudden strong spotlight on an individual with a dark curtain background.

There's no single correct answer. Have to understand how camera and flash metering works, and how to adapt to changing lighting.

This is a very good suggestion, thanks ST1100 for the insight

Status
Not open for further replies.