Camera cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pangzzz

Jul 14, 2004
Bishan
hi ppl,

my camera was loaned out to a friend of mine, unfortunately due to negligence and unattentive care on her part, my camera was returned back to me in a very bad state(exterior had those sticky stuff that forms after prolonged exposure to air... ) and the internal mirror is kinda dusty as well. very sad abt it...haiz :angry: :cry:

i was wondering if there is any shops out there which does cleaning... i know of shops which does internal cleaning of lens and stuff..but any way to remedy the exterior of the camera body? any pros out there who are able to revive the "disfigured"?

many thanks..and lesson learnt: never lend your camera stuff unless u're sure tat person is trustworthy enough. :sticktong

pangzzz said:
hi ppl,

my camera was loaned out to a friend of mine, unfortunately due to negligence and unattentive care on her part, my camera was returned back to me in a very bad state(exterior had those sticky stuff that forms after prolonged exposure to air... ) and the internal mirror is kinda dusty as well. very sad abt it...haiz :angry: :cry:

i was wondering if there is any shops out there which does cleaning... i know of shops which does internal cleaning of lens and stuff..but any way to remedy the exterior of the camera body? any pros out there who are able to revive the "disfigured"?

many thanks..and lesson learnt: never lend your camera stuff unless u're sure tat person is trustworthy enough. :sticktong

erm, u sounds like you loaned to your friend for years... if that the case maybe its time to change a new camera :sweatsm:.
anyway you might wan to try using some chemical to clean the exterior, since you already said exterior so nothing that much to worry about.
for internal, you might try blowing the dust off if doesn't work, send it to the service center

hi explorerZ,

i loaned it to my friend for a period of about a year, and whoa the reaction when i saw it back... can't put it into words man.:angry: :angry: :angry:

hmm u mentioned chemicals.. any suggestions as to which and where i can get them from?.. as for the mirror, would it be more advisable if it was sent to the official nikon service center or the shops at penisular plaza to get it done?

apologies for the many questions... :)

ExplorerZ said:
erm, u sounds like you loaned to your friend for years... if that the case maybe its time to change a new camera :sweatsm:.
anyway you might wan to try using some chemical to clean the exterior, since you already said exterior so nothing that much to worry about.
for internal, you might try blowing the dust off if doesn't work, send it to the service center

i wld use those SARS disinfectants and put in on cotton wool. then wipe it over the cam. it's a good solvent.

pangzzz said:
hi ppl,

In what way is it disfigured?Perhaps you may consider bringing it to the service centre.

pangzzz said:
hi ppl,

hi,
i think i know what u meant by the sticky stuff on the surface, because my old film camera also ganna the same fate as i didn;t take good care of her properly..didn;t even use a dry box at that time.. anyway i tried a lot of methods but still it remain sticky, but after normal usage for a while, u will find that the sticky surface will go away due to friction of usage.
the mirror u can either use a strong blower to blow away the dust or send for cleaning lor.:bsmilie:

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i wld use those SARS disinfectants and put in on cotton wool. then wipe it over the cam. it's a good solvent.

whoa solvent..sound pretty hardcore.. hahaha. but thanks for the suggestion.

yup..those sticky stuff has indeed been reduced over these few weeks..but i think there are some perspiration marks or something...can see the finger prints on the grip..damn it man!

still the point of this lesson is...never loan your cam to your friend(or be it anybody) if u are not sure they can take care of your equipment....cant imagine if i had loan someone a car and it came back in shambles! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.