Camera bag which does not shout camera bag - what are my choices?

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
Hi

I have a D 80 / 18-200mm lens and SLR combination. I will also carry a couple of batteries and SD cards, thats it. I may want a pocket for pens or cash etc, that it.

This bag will have to fit into my pack for hikes or be used on its own when I am walking about cities.

However I rather not have one of the usual "Nikon", "Lowepro" etc bags which shout Camera!

Previously I used a Crumpler, but that is becoming a signal that there is something expensive inside too.

What are my other choices?
I have been looking at NG bags, and I hope to spend less than a $100 for such a small bag.

Thanks

Get a Neoprene pouch and throw it into any normal bag.Anyway,why would lowepro shout camera bag??They do hiking stuff too

Hi

I have a D 80 / 18-200mm lens and SLR combination. I will also carry a couple of batteries and SD cards, thats it. I may want a pocket for pens or cash etc, that it.

This bag will have to fit into my pack for hikes or be used on its own when I am walking about cities.

However I rather not have one of the usual "Nikon", "Lowepro" etc bags which shout Camera!

Previously I used a Crumpler, but that is becoming a signal that there is something expensive inside too.

I have been looking at NG bags, and I hope to spend less than a $100 for such a small bag.

Thanks

Get a Neoprene pouch and throw it into any normal bag.Anyway,why would lowepro shout camera bag??They do hiking stuff too

Agree with lamergod.
Wonder why so many people are so concious about carrying and being seen with a so-called camera bag ? What you wish to carry is a very personal choice. As long as it doesn't cause inconvenience to others, I don't see what's wrong. Importantly, it must provide adequate protections to your gear which is the original intent...isn't it ?

DOMKE bags are cool but a bit expensive.

Thanks
Will these Domke bags or NG bags fit in my budget?
Anyway I will pop into SLS later for a recce.

Cheers
DOMKE bags are cool but a bit expensive.

Agree with lamergod.
Wonder why so many people are so concious about carrying and being seen with a so-called camera bag ?

Guess obvious camera bags will naturally attract thieves more? :dunno:

Guess obvious camera bags will naturally attract thieves more? :dunno:

haha, then one should really consider using bubble wrap for the camera and dump it into one NTUC plastic bag...definitely won't attract any attentions from thieves until the camera comes out of it. wonder if it is actually the fashion statement thing instead....traditional camera bags are not cool, bulky, ugly, ....hmm

Agree with lamergod.
Wonder why so many people are so concious about carrying and being seen with a so-called camera bag ? What you wish to carry is a very personal choice. As long as it doesn't cause inconvenience to others, I don't see what's wrong. Importantly, it must provide adequate protections to your gear which is the original intent...isn't it ?
You guys have no idea. Bring a big squareish lowepro camera backpack around India or any other third world country and a whole lot of locals will try to relieve you of your camera. One of my friends recently had his 5D mk2 and a 70-200 f2.8 IS snitched out of his computrekker when he and I were shooting in Cairo, Egypt. Most of these theives know which bags are camera bags because of the shape and brand.

Hi

Thanks
Have a look at the Thinktank modular system or the Speed demon. Should be about $100-$150.

They look hardly like camera bags and are very comfortable to use and retrieve equipment from unlike most of the Lowepro bags.
Domke and NG also have some small camera bags at about $100.

IMHO, Lowepro have the worst camera bags around as most are NOT built to last and have horrible designs.
Mine tore after a year of light usage as a backup to my 9-year old Billingham 306 which is constantly being beaten to death.

Did some homework...
The NG explorer 2345 is around 100 with GST, and that size seems ok, but I will bring my gear down and try it out.

Well usually I just put my DSLR into my normal backpack...
I'd rather not put my camera in any backpack as it is usually harder to get the camera out of the bag when you want to shoot something

Agree with lamergod.
what is wrong with wanting not to be seen with a camera bag?

there are many reasons to avoid unwanted attention, be it from thieves, etc. yes, you can say, the camera is coming out already.. but no thief will decide to snatch your bag on a snap decision, or try to ferry away gear on a whim. it takes time.

i prefer not getting attention.. and so far, most people all over the world tend not to associate bags like those from billingham with photography.. whereas for lowepro, tamrac, etc.. especially the overcushioned variety (lowepro really ahs a problem with this).. you just swing it around, you see the eyes following your bag, it is not a good feeling.

haha, then one should really consider using bubble wrap for the camera and dump it into one NTUC plastic bag...definitely won't attract any attentions from thieves until the camera comes out of it. wonder if it is actually the fashion statement thing instead....traditional camera bags are not cool, bulky, ugly, ....hmm

there is no such thing as a traditional camera bag actually.

i find the overcushioning on a lot of these traditional bags for people who think that the camera needs to be in something bombproof very irritating. for example, most lowepro bags can cut 50% of the cushioning.

if the person needs the camera bag to protect the camera from some 2 storey drop from all angles, then the person probably isn't very careful and would spoil the camera when it is out of the bag.

all i want, is just for the bag to prevent slight drops. and there's where the cutting of cushioning will come in.

you should try carrying a compudaypack, for example.. in a crowded place. you make one turn, 3 people protest in return.. :)

Hi

I place my lowepro toploader into any slingbag. It works ok. Easy to shoot while on the move. When on holidays I use my cheap Army canvas schoolbag- the one soldiers put their cigarettes and handphones, jotter books for the appointment holders. Looks damn ugly, but no one will be interested in a grungy faded thing like that.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jeremy

I use a Coleman cooler bag (approx. S$20.00) as my camera bag for my fishing trip on boat. Good size for my D300 and 18-200mm lens. It is weather proof and with good cushion to protect my gear. You can consider this too. :)

there is no such thing as a traditional camera bag actually.

i find the overcushioning on a lot of these traditional bags for people who think that the camera needs to be in something bombproof very irritating. for example, most lowepro bags can cut 50% of the cushioning.

if the person needs the camera bag to protect the camera from some 2 storey drop from all angles, then the person probably isn't very careful and would spoil the camera when it is out of the bag.

all i want, is just for the bag to prevent slight drops. and there's where the cutting of cushioning will come in.

you should try carrying a compudaypack, for example.. in a crowded place. you make one turn, 3 people protest in return.. :)

haha, perhaps i have been lucky then. being to the whole of scandinavian, many european countries, arctic circle , SEA and china and touch wood, nothing untowards happened yet. must admit was quite stressful though, looking after the stuff. not that i detected prying eyes but simply the self-conciousness about taking care of one's valuable.

haha, perhaps i have been lucky then. being to the whole of scandinavian, many european countries, arctic circle , SEA and china and touch wood, nothing untowards happened yet. must admit was quite stressful though, looking after the stuff. not that i detected prying eyes but simply the self-conciousness about taking care of one's valuable.

:)

i don't know, i travel alone a lot, so i like to remain relatively attention-free

anyways, it is personal preference.. i mean, nothing wrong even if someone wants to look "nice" per se, don't you think? :)

Congratulations on your ability to afford a lot of trips - did you mention that to tell us how many places you can go to or to help me find my bag bro?

These places are mostly safe, apart from Indonesia, and some of the busier capitals in Europe.

Have you been to Rome or Paris? Carrying a bag with a branded logo is a beacon which not only makes your camera target but also the rest of your belongings.

Maybe you can help by suggesting real bags which I can consider instead.

Cheers

:)

i don't know, i travel alone a lot, so i like to remain relatively attention-free

anyways, it is personal preference.. i mean, nothing wrong even if someone wants to look "nice" per se, don't you think? :)

haha, similarly nothing wrong with people who wanted more padding for their gears. i would certainly like something that both looks good and provides good protection..;)