Camera bag for cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leongfm

Feb 12, 2003
www.pbase.com
Hi

Need some help here...I am looking for a small camera bag to carry my DSLR with one lens mounted (20D + 17-55mm f2.8IS) plus some basic accessories like spare CF card, battery, cleaning kit on my bicycle. I have tried camera backpack but it is unbearable hot on my back so I am looking for something that is either a waist pouch or a sling bag (preferbly with some breathable material to dissipate heat from body).

My bike does not have a carrier so I have to carry the gear on my body. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Leong

the wearability of the bag is pretty important.. i don't know your riding style, but as for me, with some improv padding on my crumpler (which are still decent messenger bags) i manage pretty well and the bag rarely slips to the sides.

don't have anything in particular to recommend, but my advice is to get something that wears well and does not slip all over the place, especially so if you ride hard and fast as it can be a constant irritation.

just get a regular messenger bag and throw the camera in it. as long as you are throwing the bag around, your camera will be fine.

Well, messenger bags were designed to be used by bicycle couriers so that would probably be your best bet..

Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually riding on a folding bike so will be on leisure pace...

Most of you suggested messenger bags...how do you ensure they do not swing to the sides? Do you feel you backs sweat excessively at the contact points with the bags? Just read that there is some material (moisture wicking) that can help to dissipate perpirations thus making you backs less hot. Not sure if any camera bags has this feature.

Leong

Can anyone comment on Tamrac messenger ?

From my experience it all depends what's more important.

On days that I feel like riding more - I just take my compact and a mini Tripod cos you never know when a photo-op will arise ;)

On days when I'm riding out to a specific photo spot - I pack my SLR in a "toploader" type pouch/bag and put it in my camelbak MUEL. Filters and cleaning kit goes into another pouch.

Note that I always carry a tool kit, spare tubes and tyre pump and so I try to bring as minimal as possible to keep my bag to within a reasonable weight.

I load everything into a front handlebar bag which gives easy access and also prevents the camera from being crushed by the bike or myself should I take a tumble. Off the bike I just sling it on my shoulders and it becomes just like a camera bag.

Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually riding on a folding bike so will be on leisure pace...

Most of you suggested messenger bags...how do you ensure they do not swing to the sides? Do you feel you backs sweat excessively at the contact points with the bags? Just read that there is some material (moisture wicking) that can help to dissipate perpirations thus making you backs less hot. Not sure if any camera bags has this feature.

Leong

Moisture wicking works by pulling the moisture away from the skin, and onto the other side of the material to allow it to flow or drip away. In the case of a bag, that other side of the material would be the interior compartment, so no you don't want that feature in a bag :p

Messenger pouches/bags are met to be carried in the small of your bag, not slung real low in that trendy (disgustingly so) way. Personally I carry my bag like a mat (not an insult Malays, I find them rather cool :p) with the bag slung across my bag and the straps tight. I don't think wearing it like that would allow it to move while cycling, depending on how you distribute the load inside.

Depending on your equipment, you may consider Lowepro belt packs or Tamrac's Velocity series.

BC

Tamrac 5315. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.