buying 3rd party lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlin

Feb 17, 2006
hi all, im in a dilemma whether to get tamron / sigma 28-300mm lens, im more into street photography and my budget is below $500. can anyone pls spare some advice? Thanks alot.

is $300 for 2nd hand sigma 28-300mm worthy?

danlin said:
hi all, im in a dilemma whether to get tamron / sigma 28-300mm lens, im more into street photography and my budget is below $500. can anyone pls spare some advice? Thanks alot.

is $300 for 2nd hand sigma 28-300mm worthy?

Get the Tamron one as Sigma ones have a tendency to fog and lens coating fade over time. I'm using the Tamron 28-300, very versatile lens for street shooting as well but now i'm reserving it only for taking wildlife and events.

if you want to do street, do you need such a superzoom? there are compromises in such extreme designs. i would go for something shorter and smaller, perhaps the 17-35mm, 28-75mm, sigma 24-60 (not 24-70), or go the way of primes and just get one 35mm/2 or 50/1.4 :) everything can be got for about $500 thereabouts, new or 2nd hand.

Snoweagle said:
Get the Tamron one as Sigma ones have a tendency to fog and lens coating fade over time. I'm using the Tamron 28-300, very versatile lens for street shooting as well but now i'm reserving it only for taking wildlife and events.
Woah... That's what exactly I hear about Tamron lenses from shop seller when I want to buy Tamron lens that he don't have... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
if you want to do street, do you need such a superzoom? there are compromises in such extreme designs. i would go for something shorter and smaller, perhaps the 17-35mm, 28-75mm, sigma 24-60 (not 24-70), or go the way of primes and just get one 35mm/2 or 50/1.4 :) everything can be got for about $500 thereabouts, new or 2nd hand.

Now i'm strictly using my 17-40mm for general photography, street shoots and landscapes.

Artosoft said:
Woah... That's what exactly I hear about Tamron lenses from shop seller when I want to buy Tamron lens that he don't have... :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

The 28-300 is a gd start as its zoom range is fantastic, but quality wise don't expect it to be excellent.

such zoom range dun offer good pic quality.. but is v versertile..

VR2 said:
such zoom range dun offer good pic quality.. but is v versertile..

So there's a compromise between versatility and quality....n price too.

yeah good tings dun come cheap..

To thread starter, so depending on what u want to take or take most often and also the max u really want to afford for a lens.

i will recommend a 70-200 or 70-300 anytime. better image quality as compared to 28 or 55

might wan to look at the 18-200 range as well... price is slightly above $500 tho, but i believe you will use more 18-27mm over 201-300mm range. ;)

For such lens with a very large zoom range, usually the pics get a bit blurred at the long end due to hand shake. :nono: Used to have the Tamron one, but sold it away. I think a better choice might be the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. :thumbsup: Might be a bit more than what you've budget for. :think:

If walkaround lens dun need such a wide zoom range. The wide to mid tele is enough.

Perhaps a Tamron 24-135?

Got it 2nd hand at $360, no complains so far.

Try your luck at BnS.:)

Snoweagle said:
If this range get the originals.

well if budget allows. just buy original :thumbsup:

hongjone said:
I think a better choice might be the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. :thumbsup: Might be a bit more than what you've budget for. :think:

this also a good walk about lens...:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.