Buy Many Memory Cards Before Go On Tour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you have an ipod, you can get an adaptor that allows it to store pictures from the cards.

If you want safe storage,

use 2x media card and 2x portable storage

For me , I tried 1x portable storage for a few tours and never fail for me.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Most of my friends are not using CF cards. I would not be bring a laptop along. I would bring my 3 year old portable digital storage along as backup.

Guess I would need to visit Sitex this Thursday.
SI... SITEX? This Thursday?

Hmm.... Need some XD H-cards.

Get extra CF cards. No need to download and mess with computer and power. Battery life is shorter in cold weather and you may need to charge everynight. If possible, shoot in jpeg and raw as you may want to do post processing. I think the sun sets early and you could be in the shadow a lot so you may have more flexibility with raw.

Might wanna consider taking a spare camera, maybe something small like a D70 or 400D just incase yours packs up in the cold weather. Dont wanna get there and have your camera die....

Might wanna consider taking a spare camera, maybe something small like a D70 or 400D just incase yours packs up in the cold weather. Dont wanna get there and have your camera die....

errrr... my only dslr is d70s, thats the biggest i have, not small :)

whatever it is, D70 prob wouldnt fail on you. Your concern is pretty much just the battery and mem cards.

Advice is:

2 spare batts.
4 x 4 GB cards or 2 x 8GB

whatever it is, D70 prob wouldnt fail on you. Your concern is pretty much just the battery and mem cards.

Advice is:

2 spare batts.
4 x 4 GB cards or 2 x 8GB

D70, i spare batt is more than enough
the D70 can go for days of shooting on 1 fully charged batt

I shoot raw with 2 x 4GB cards and a 40GB digimate. Enough for many many days if you don't shoot superb amounts and esp. if you're using JPEG.

At the end of the day I end up with a lot of crap photos. I transfer the whole lot to portable HDD. Then I protect my best photos on the CF and delete the rest. If digimate fails I still have my best photos on CF. My 21 day trip easily amassed a few k photos. But eventually I only really liked 100-200.

Suggest you invest a couple of hundred bucks to get an extra 2 CF cards. Especially at high altitudes, JPEG, can shoot till your hearts content.

will visit sitex and do some shopping tomorrow. most likely will get scandisk. hopefully price is attractive.

thank you all who have given me your suggestions and advice.

will visit sitex and do some shopping tomorrow. most likely will get scandisk. hopefully price is attractive.

thank you all who have given me your suggestions and advice.

SanDisk :dunno:

D70, i spare batt is more than enough
the D70 can go for days of shooting on 1 fully charged batt

He is going to Tibet where the temperatures are extreme. You'll need extra camera batteries as batteries have a very much shorter life in extreme cold. 1 battery definitely not enough, prob more like 3 and more batteries will be needed.

Also it is wise to back up the images you have taken just in case of anything happening.

Good luck on your trip. Be prepared for altitude sickness.

Went down Sitex yesterday and bought 2 x 4GB Sandisk CF Cards. Could not find other booths selling. Seems like a little less "interesting" this year.

Anyway, I am bringing a Nikon D70S and a Nikon Coolpix 5200 with 2 batteries each. Memory wise, I have 11GB CF Card and 10GB SD Card plus a 20GB portable digital storage.

Flight supposed to be at 10.40am. SQ called at 7.00am informing me that there would be a 1hour delay. So here I am updating.

Ok guys, got to go. Take care all.

Sandisk CF Extreme III
4GB - $110
8GB - $218

Sandisk CF Extreme IV
4GB - $150
8GB - $295

Kingston CF Elite Pro 2 133x
4GB - $54.20

* Sandisk gives a freebie, key chain or small fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.