Bus and cab fare cheaters to be jailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
idor said:
Damn Bloody Chao Kuan man.... to be fair they should also put bus driver in jail cos they did not change the stage in time.

Eh.. nothing to do with the bus driver. They also working people. Just plain dislike those who propose jail term for own singaporean, already not enough work force and this people still thinking jail, if really $9 millions dollars every year than easily it would come out to 900,000 passenger per year if they cheat $10/year each and 90,000 passenger if they cheated $100/year each.

Imaging 90,000-900,000 extra / year in the jail for the gov to feed them. HOW MUCH $ would that cost?????????

Maybe those propose should do a simple calculation.

dominator said:
if the card reader do unjustice to our ez-link card that is hardware or software problem.
but if the ez-link user cheats...it is human and it mean law!
so you mean they can't "purposely/intentionally" program the software with errors just to cheat us?
they should test it until it is error free before implementing the system.

sbs99 said:
i wonder who actually comes up with such stupid rules and punishments? :nono:

who else? :rolleyes: shan't mention letters here...

they're getting fatting and richer by milking the people below them :rolleyes:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
disclaimer is to protect the provider in anyway they deem fit, and in no particular fashion, may deem unfair to the consumer.. there is also disclaimers and regulations etc before you enter the carpark, (for those driving) do you think we bother to slow down, read word by word, then enter? den if it doesn't fit our bill, we despite the countless number of cars behind, engage reverse gear to get out ASAP? no lor... its just the rule of the game... unless you wanna pay money to challenge them for that insignificant amount of money...

but seriously thou, how do they classify as bus/cab fare cheaters? that would be interesting... otherwise any tom dick or harry would be a cheater by now... and everyone should start saving up 1k in advance for this...
Yah. I think I'd better set aside 1K in case I get accused of being a fare cheat one day. :(

Its the bus driver's words against mine.
Forget abt the passengers. I guess no one will step out to help. Sigh...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Not you, Not me, must be some bloody free ppl around not taking photos during their free time... :bsmilie:
Be surprised.... Da guy who gave us COE seems to be an avid photographer as well.

Saw him with a Nikon (din see the model carefully, paiseh) the first time I went with madmacs to the treetop walk at Macritchie. :D

But madmacs was in the toilet so I had the 'luck' of seeing him.

jsbn said:
Yah. I think I'd better set aside 1K in case I get accused of being a fare cheat one day. :(

Its the bus driver's words against mine.
Forget abt the passengers. I guess no one will step out to help. Sigh...

Any bus driver who wants to pull such a stunt, will GET it from me.And I question the closeness and supposed partnership between the transport operators and the government, how else could such a law pass anywhere in the world..

Cheating bus drivers?Hardly not, they are not commission based, and the companies are just trying ever so lamely in attempting another round of wool-pulling over the eyes of the consumers.Right now, the technology is not stable, let alone matured.How many errors have we seen everyday?The policymakers are not likely to be users of public transport, therefore we have regulations for the ground made by likely armchair generals.

You transport firms want to go private, then accept the risks of going private, and not come crying back to Uncle Sam that you want to jail people who have failed to pay their fares.Wake up your ideas man...

I've a feeling this legislation will come back to haunt them.

jsbn said:
Be surprised.... Da guy who gave us COE seems to be an avid photographer as well.

Saw him with a Nikon (din see the model carefully, paiseh) the first time I went with madmacs to the treetop walk at Macritchie. :D

But madmacs was in the toilet so I had the 'luck' of seeing him.

oi!! must say properly you had the 'luck' of seeing who.... :eek:

[quote/SBS Transit spokesman Tammy Tan said: 'The proposed changes take into account the fact that our drivers get cheated, whether intentionally or not. While the majority of our customers do not cheat, there is a small proportion who do, and they are penalising those who pay the full fare.'
quote]

This is quote, only small proportion of the majority cheat. So the majority in future kena fine or jail should we call it 'suay' :bsmilie:

soma said:
Eh.. nothing to do with the bus driver. They also working people. Just plain dislike those who propose jail term for own singaporean, already not enough work force and this people still thinking jail, if really $9 millions dollars every year than easily it would come out to 900,000 passenger per year if they cheat $10/year each and 90,000 passenger if they cheated $100/year each.

Imaging 90,000-900,000 extra / year in the jail for the gov to feed them. HOW MUCH $ would that cost?????????

Maybe those propose should do a simple calculation.

how come...

SBS Transit spokesman Tammy Tan said: 'The proposed changes take into account the fact that our drivers get cheated, whether intentionally or not. While the majority of our customers do not cheat, there is a small proportion who do, and they are penalising those who pay the full fare.'
er..do the drivers lose money over this? if not how they get cheated? :dunno:

madmacs said:
how come...
how come what???:dunno:

er..do the drivers lose money over this? if not how they get cheated? :dunno:
because it's between you and the driver, but the driver is from the company so cheating the driver is as good as cheating the company and if the driver is going to check everyone then the bus is going nowhere.

LazerLordz said:
I've a feeling this legislation will come back to haunt them.

it has always been like this......ridiculous rules and regulations set just to pacify short sighted problems....bigger problems in later stages. History keeps repeating themselves.

I just wonder how come such people manage to hold on to their jobs for so long making life miserable for their incompetant decisions?

:nono:

soma said:
how come what???:dunno:

because it's between you and the driver, but the driver is from the company so cheating the driver is as good as cheating the company and if the driver is going to check everyone then the bus is going nowhere.

how come the more we discuss, the more i felt that its discriminating against public transport users... imagine every bus driver or cab driver look 'down' on you before you board their ride... den think... are you going to cheat me?

btw just for a maybe slightly less than 1 buck to maybe slightly more than 10-20 bucks ride, we get to be fined 1k, then end up with a black mark, den need ppl to run a drive for the yellow flag, life is just great... :thumbsup: den best of all... labelled as cheaters... nxt time when an employer ask y go to jail, den the reply will be, i cheated on my ride... (think shoplifters are even of a higher status here...)

Shoplifter to Man: eh i went to jail cos i shoplift a 2 bucks candy bar... damnit...
Man to Shoplifter: err, i think i win liao lor, i just cheated my ride of 1 bus stop, 60cents and i was jailed... :sweat:

espn said:
Few questions.

If the card reader fails to read our cards when we exit, can we fine the bus company for 'cheating'?

Also, if a cab driver goes a long long route before hitting the destination, can we fine the taxi drivers for 'cheating'?

What if the card reader fails to pick up the signals when we board, then whose fault?

When EZLink came into effect, many miscalculations of fare charges because the card readers failed to update the bus stages correctly, can we turn back and sue SBS now? :dunno:

Since when we have to make up for the fare difference? We had to PAY the actual fare once again.

ie: 100c, punch sala, (during fare card time) punch 80c, conductor check, punch another 100c, total 180c, where got punch 20c? Kaoz!
Yes, you have valid points, though here it is about 'intent to cheat', and that will now be punishable in a more stricter way.........

I feel it is ridiculously harsh to set a jail term for this offence, it is the same with not changing the window rivet before the deadline, you guessed it, another jail term. I believe they do not intend to dish out the maximum punishment for these offences, but it creates a climate of fear when minor offences can be punished with a jail term.

A punishment, expecially a jail term should be given out to criminals who intentionally break the law, but when minor offences such as these carry a jail term as well, it punishes one for NOT doing something. It is used to make the people toe the line and it's effect is far reaching in other aspect of life as well.

The jailterm is only for repeat offenders :), and yes it is harsh, but why worry????? As long as you don't cheat, you don't need to worry, isn't it?...........so, I don't see why this discussion is worthwile, unless you were planning to cheat??? ;-)

HS

It is still a proposed thing, so just protest on the streets, lah! Jail term should be equal to shoplifters.........by the way, anyone knows what the jail term is for shoplifters in SG?

HS

i've proposed this, and i'll propose again, CANING is the BEST way. no need to spend precious tax payer's $ to sponsor a few weeks@changi!

For shoplifting, littering, and other petty crimes, even drink driving, one just needs to be charged at a local police station, with probably a few witnesses, no need expensive judge nor lawyers, then if guilty, straight away taken to changi and PIAK! PIAK!

everything done within 48hrs, no criminial record, no need yellow ribbon. save everyone's time/$!

coming back to the topic, if one really intend to cheat on the bus, and one sees a conductor up the bus, i'll alight immediately! i mean..who wouldn't?? those who'll get caught are those who unintentionally didn't manage to register the tapping during boarding.

PIAK PIAK!

hongsien said:
The jailterm is only for repeat offenders :), and yes it is harsh, but why worry????? As long as you don't cheat, you don't need to worry, isn't it?...........so, I don't see why this discussion is worthwile, unless you were planning to cheat??? ;-)

HS

That's my stand on all this rule thingy here in Singapore. If tomorrow they say anyone caught littering will have their hand chopped off. It really is no skin off my back as I know I would never do it. It is a good thing to keep our nation clean right? So it should not be that hard to change your mentality. Extreme yes but if you don't do it that should not bother you at all. It is harsh but then this law is about deterring the hardcores bus or MRT fare cheaters. All this time they have been warned and imposing the present level of punish mettled out to them has not deterred them...then maybe something like this will finally knock this into their thick skull that they better wise up. You have a choice here...nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to cheat.

Although I would like this same law applied to those #% selfish people who like to walk haphazardly while read or playing with their mobile phone and expecting everyone to make way or look out for them. heheh Now that is one ruling I would support along with this one. heh.

I just hope if they do set this up and deter those cheater thus save them a few millions dollars, the bus and MRT better not raise the transport fare for the next few years! :)

i think this whole thing is an evil ploy for the garment to make us buy more cars/bikes lah, then make even more money by installing erp(on 24hrs a day) all over the place, even in TUAS... :bsmilie:

but seriously, it quite ridiculous if u think carefully about it...

1. a person cheats a PRIVATE company, and he gets thrown into a PUBLIC PRISON? wasting tax payers money? so is there some special tie up between the private company and our prisons? in my opinion, he shd just be fined and the fine go to the private companies. afterall, we are a FINE city wat :bsmilie:

2. are we one of the very few privilleged countries where PRIVATE companies can request the local garment to impose LAWS to help safe guard their own interests?

3. if there is a hardware or software malfunction, and our cards dont get sensed and as a result are not detected, then will it be a case of the private company cheating us and then sue us for cheating and then we get jailed?

4. think that we are in one of those countries where the garment is the sole winner. i mean, even the bookies are going out of job liao, so i guess as they always say in the army, LPPL, lan lan suck thumb....

maybe after this, i may just be thrown in under isa.... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.