Bus and cab fare cheaters to be jailed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dkw said:
Can you imagine a whole bunch of segways on our roads and sidewalks? Please don't tell me you actually think its a good idea.....

Who would buy a 10K segway in Singapore? The poor ah-soh taking the MRT? The factory worker with a wife and kid? Of course not, only the rich guy with nothing else to do with his money! Look at the demographic of Segway buyers in the US, you seriously think they are for the poor and disadvantaged? Anybody else serious about having some proper transport for the family in that price range would opt for a motorbike instead.

Edits
Link here to blurb on intent of Segway --> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4021/is_2002_June_1/ai_88679060

It is an alternative to cars, not public transport.

Another link to Segway forum --> http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1638

People are buying it as a lifestyle statement or because they are techno-freaks, not for serious transportation!
To be honest, I'd rather get a Segway to travel from home to office. :D

jsbn said:
Well, I believe most of us are seriously concerned not about the issue of honest travellers subsidising fare cheaters.

Unfortunately, its HOW the law's gonna decide who's cheating and who's not. Especially when we are still looking at a buggy EZ-Link system (honestly, I don't bother to check every single transaction and god knows how many times they had eaten my money). Its the Bus Conductor's words against yours and in cases like this, if other passengers did not get the same problem as you do (u guys know technical glitches. They come on at random times which is nearly impossible to duplicate the exact problem at times), you're in for some really hot soup.

With the law being worded so vaguely, it seems that every mother's son of us here are being labelled as a 'potential cheater' simply becos that silly card reader did some weird things to your card which u're not even aware of.

Are we, as consumers, as passengers and customers to the bus companies supposed to know every system they are using inside-out?

Its only a prelim proposal at this point, without anybody having laid eyes on any actual firm document, who's to say how vague or specific the law is/will be?? There will be opportunity for feedback.

If the issue is the 'bugginess' of the fare system, then fine, go after the issue, its fair game. But this thread has gone seriously off tangent, its public transport system bashing all over again. For what? To protect fare cheats?

jsbn said:
To be honest, I'd rather get a Segway to travel from home to office. :D

If the infrastructure supports it, I think its great. But personal transport systems are seldom ever energy efficient (except bicycles), electricity driven or not.

Just wondering... are there anyway I can check the transaction records of my ezlink card?
Like what is said earlier that we do not know if the amount in our ezlink card is being deducted more than it should at times of bug attack on the system :p It will be good to have such a feature!

Status
Not open for further replies.