Bukit Brown to be redeveloped in 2012

Nikkornos

Oct 31, 2008
Singapore/Asia
I am asking the fellow photographers to consider recording the soon to vanish Bukit Brown.
Bukit Brown is also known as Kopi hill, it is also alleged the most haunted place in Singapore.

There are many historical tomb stones, which are worth keeping in MF or LF.
I will be out of Singapore but will be monitoring this.
I propose a MF outing with a few locations pinpointed.

Singapore is changing too fast. Recently the Tanjiong Pagar Station went into history.
I have burned a good number of 120. Now it is Bukit Brown turn.

咖啡山坟场建新道路 陈金钟等先贤古墓或受影响
http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110914_013.shtml

不过,咖啡山坟地占地86公顷,共有约10万个墓碑,因此墓主的记录工作将是一个浩大工程,须要不少时间及人力。
新道路将穿越咖啡山坟场,估计有5000个坟墓将在明年第四季被挖掘。陆交局届时将公开受影响坟墓的详情,让公众认领先人遗骨。
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Bukit brown#page=4

Asia Paranormal Investigators
http://www.spi.com.sg/haunted/ghoulish_trial/main04.htm

George Henry Brown arrived from Calcutta via Penang about 1840. He bought the area and called it Mount Pleasant. Brown was a ship owner in Singapore trading to China and Japan. He was a strong supporter of the Presbyterian Church where he played the organ which he had bought from the old London Mission Chapel at the junction of North Bridge and Bras Basah roads.

The organ later went to the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd. The land was bought by Ong Kew Ho and the Hokkien Huay Kuan who gave it to the She Ong Kongsi. After much resistance from the kongsi, the government acquired the land in 1919 and opened it as a public burial ground which was managed by a committee led by Tan Kheam Hock and See Tiong Wah, compradore of the Hongkong Bank, on 1 Jan 1922. Another commonly known name especially for taxi drivers is Kheam Hock Road Cemetery because it is situated along Kheam Hock Road.

The 213 acre Bukit Brown Cemetery was known among the Chinese as "kopi sua" or coffee hill. The cemetery contained some very ornate graves, complete with "jagas" in Sikh dress to guard them. In the 1970s the government began to clear the cemetery for redevelopment. The clearing process has been stagnated recently. Yet it remains as one of the oldest cemetery in Singapore. You can see very old trees and unique plantation all over the hill.

i hiked thru it a few times.. we should visit it soon. maybe shoot the big gates at the entrance.

Never heard of the place, will definitely attend the outing !

I'm interested. Maybe can make it this saturday. But need a tour guide for it.

are we like the MF/LF Ghost hunters?

I am a monk... no worries. :)

I know the subjects we covered lately make us look like ghost busters.
Well, visiting a MacDonalds don't make us a big mac...

The old gate is very impressive. It will be gone.
There are a few sites that has been covered by other groups in macro or individual subjects.

Using a LF with 90mm or 75mm will be valuable in time to come. The wide view in details is lacking.

I will plan a route, the subjects and we can discuss when I am back from Holland.

ok...will wait for yr return. meanwhile can consider the old ex Bidadari cemetery. With all the graves gone, it really look like a park now but soon to be gone as it has been marked for housing development. it also convenient with the Woodleigh MRT at its doorstep.

ok...will wait for yr return. meanwhile can consider the old ex Bidadari cemetery. With all the graves gone, it really look like a park now but soon to be gone as it has been marked for housing development. it also convenient with the Woodleigh MRT at its doorstep.

But Bidadari is really just a empty plot now. Nothing much on it.
The Malay cemetery beside it is a bit better, at least there are lots of trees and plants.

Bidadari is such a sad case. The tombstones there were one of a kind.
Too bad the authorities just felt that such places are a waste of space.
So eager to sweep off Singapore's past and leave it barren for so many years, even till now.
Just "progress" for nothing.....

Really saddened on hearing the news...my family has a few burial plots there, and I have been going there every qing Ming faithfully ... so far haven't received any notice of exhumation yet

i still have my GPS route recorded by during one of my trek where we walked thru Bukit Brown to go to Toa Payoh. While we probably do not want to trek thru with our camera gear, it is good to know that Adam Food Center is a good meeting point :) always start off with a good meal.

On Google map there are a few large graves clearly visible from Satellite photo.
The point is the sharp right turn you made at the cemetry towards caldecott hill.

When do we want to do it? Car can park at Khean Hock road area.

Last edited:
ha no idea..wasn't really into tombstones during the trek. my GPS software can transfer the route to google map..so now we can see how those big tombstones (arrowed) are away from the route i took. one seems to be along the route while another is about 100m away...hahah

I am thinking next sunday seems like a good day to visit there :D

Let me guess, this is trekking terrain?

The NEWS is out today:

Identification start from Nov 2011.
Demolishing the site from Q4 2012.
Not much time left.

Went to Bukit Brown. There are many things there. Very bad idea to wipe the place out for a darn road.
I have made some notes and decide to return with 6X6. 6x6 45mm and 6x6 180mm.

Read this first:
http://bukitbrown.org/

Last edited: