Building a competitive employee benefits package

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
1. Does your company that you are working with constantly review and build a
competitive employee benefits package to retain qualified and competent personnel?

2. You are now running your own company (e.g. with 10 - 15 employees),
and the thought of building a compeititive employee benefits has never come into your mind.

What are your views on the above?

:think:

Money is one key motivator to drive a competitive workforce. Commission, mini bonuses, perks and other performance incentives will help make them work hard for the company.

But to have a good work environment, alot of team building efforts need to be done correctly. If there is no team, there is no efficiency.

However, there sure will be pockets of politics lurking behind your back. I love to see office politics. It keeps the people on their toes and when things really goes wrong, i will pull out my sword and demonstrate the wrath they brought onto themselves. I will not fire them, but will fire them up and at the same time, trim their perks.

I am no expert in management, but i learnt a long hard way after being stumped onto by subordinates (in the corporate world) year after year until i told myself enough was enough.

note: the sword was only a metaphor. it represents anger.

I normally just want to get in, do my work, feel appreciated if have been working my butt off. The feel appreciated part does not necessarily equate to money.

I agree with contaxable that a team environment is important. Again this is regardless of remuneration, it is how the leader manages and motivates the staff, gets the pieces connected together. Somewhere trust, responsibility and challenges should be in the equation

1. Does your company that you are working with constantly review and build a
competitive employee benefits package to retain qualified and competent personnel?
Its almost a yearly event my company HR will present the remuneration package especially
on how basic our salary compares against the rest of the industry. We also know that our salary is roughly pegged to industry average despite our department maybe ahead of the rest in the same company. As for retaining qualified and competent personnel, they usually put these people through a more intense development programme but it has no direct impact on salary.

2. You are now running your own company (e.g. with 10 - 15 employees),
and the thought of building a compeititive employee benefits has never come into your mind.
Having worked in a start-up environment before I see appreciation and teamwork motivates the team much better than benefits / salary. People are more willing to work overtime (evenings and weekends) without management asking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.