Budget studio lightings

Status
Not open for further replies.

louhan

Jun 7, 2006
Hi All,
Can give me some suggestions on which budget studio lighting to purchase?
My budget is less than 1k and it is meant for taking photo on dishes/food.
What's the advantage of using strobe vs continuous light?
Thanks

check out the lighting kit which Eastgear is selling.

strobe, you can freeze movement, not too hot to handle, easy to adjust the power output, consistent WB

continuous light, very very very hot, you need very strong air con to work with continuous light, not all subjects can shoot under continuous light, you can't adjust the power output, you can only adjust your exposure by shutter speed or add ND gel filter to the light, WB will change when the bulb aging.

Hi All,
Can give me some suggestions on which budget studio lighting to purchase?
My budget is less than 1k and it is meant for taking photo on dishes/food.
What's the advantage of using strobe vs continuous light?
Thanks

Try reading Strobist: http://strobist.blogspot.com

They teach you how to use inexpensive flashes to create a very powerful lighting setup. Maybe not as powerful as big monolights, but they will be more than adequate for your purpose. I do a bit of tabletop product photography with these flashes and I have never run into problems with inadequate power. Some of my guys even use these small flashes as portrait lights when shooting on location.

The flashes can be had from www.gadgetinfinity.com and they are not very expensive, about $160 each. Get some wireless triggers, ebay some cheap white umbrellas, and buy the small lightstands (or re-use a small tripod) and you are ready. Approximately half your budget will buy you two complete sets of lights/umbrella/stands.

Thanks all for your explanation.

Think I will get a strobe light.

May I know what is the difference between a strobe and a digital strobe?

Status
Not open for further replies.