Budget Macro Lens Recommendation

You are right that buying a lens, there is alot of factors to consider. Basic factor like the weight, focal distance and the magnification ratio. Not mentioning other like the number of stop and number of elements in it etc.

so my point is renting it, is the best. No peer pressure. We only mention which is more better and in wat wat. We dont say you must get this lens or doing that way.

For me i starting with the reverse adapter. I find that i like the macro feel. (shooting in marco and normal shooting style is different.) so in the end i get a true 1:1 macro lens. But again i find the ratio is too small for me then i get the extension tube as the next lens will cost me close to a k. This is through the hard way learning.

To prevent you from going the long path, i can say if you are really into marco then go for it by trying out the lens others just get the cheaper option for fun.

Remember shooting is to have fun iut of it.

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Fully agreed! I just gotten and tried out the extension tube, I have to get really close and the light is low as hell~ While I am currently doing my own research, how do you guys solve the low light problem?

Last edited:
Fully agreed! I just gotten and tried out the extension tube, I have to get really close and the light is low as hell~ While I am currently doing my own research, how do you guys solve the low light problem?
Use flash if you are talking about the exposure...

Extra Led light if you are referring to focusing in low light..

Use flash if you are talking about the exposure...

Extra Led light if you are referring to focusing in low light..

I don't think the flash can reach the subject due to how close I have to position myself. The lens is literally just cm away from the subject. As of now i tried using "Diffused" torchlight, seems to work okay but its kind of a hassle.

I don't think the flash can reach the subject due to how close I have to position myself. The lens is literally just cm away from the subject. As of now i tried using "Diffused" torchlight, seems to work okay but its kind of a hassle.
This is when you will need to modify the flash.

You can checkout the macro subforum which I think have a post on how to custom make that flash diffuser for macro use.

There are many type of the diffusers for macro.. Some for pop up flash, some for external flash.

Light from Led is usually very weak when used in photography.

You can checkout the macro subforum which I think have a post on how to custom make that flash diffuser for macro use.

There are many type of the diffusers for macro.. Some for pop up flash, some for external flash.

Hi! Thanks for the help! I am currently reading more into handling light for macro photography. Its a whole different world from using my mobile phone.

Hi! Thanks for the help! I am currently reading more into handling light for macro photography. Its a whole different world from using my mobile phone.
it's definitely different from using your phone for shooting...and for the lighting, try not to overload yourself with too much information. Absorb bit by bit. And enjoy the process. Overloading with too much info will stress yourself out.

* I'm in the phase where I'm going back to my phone for shooting. Hahaha.

it's definitely different from using your phone for shooting...and for the lighting, try not to overload yourself with too much information. Absorb bit by bit. And enjoy the process. Overloading with too much info will stress yourself out.

* I'm in the phase where I'm going back to my phone for shooting. Hahaha.

I have this strap on lens for macro photography on my mobile phone, its really convenient and I don't have to worry much about lighting unless its really dark at night. And the best of all is that the quality is really good as well (IMO that is), I could post some pictures here but I need to host them somewhere first.

LED light for object is ok but not for insect as u will scare it away. And LED come in different style too.

So please take bit by bit and dont jump into it to quickly otherwise your next worries is to sell the item you are not comfortable with.

I have this strap on lens for macro photography on my mobile phone, its really convenient and I don't have to worry much about lighting unless its really dark at night. And the best of all is that the quality is really good as well (IMO that is), I could post some pictures here but I need to host them somewhere first.
Love to see your works here. Thanks

LED light for object is ok but not for insect as u will scare it away. And LED come in different style too.

So please take bit by bit and dont jump into it to quickly otherwise your next worries is to sell the item you are not comfortable with.

Yep, take it a step at a time ba. Next in line is probably lighting issue and a decent tripod. Mine broke recently =(

Last edited:
Love to see your works here. Thanks

EDIT: Re-uploaded and fixed the broken link.

There you go~ Hopefully I don't embarrass myself.

32129951052_73d22a9dd7_o.jpg

32279248455_a81eb163ec_o.jpg

31437844404_0b107bcaf9_o.jpg

31469092193_bc8879c691_o.jpg

Last edited:
Unable to view the attached images...

Oh shoot, but why? I can view on both mobile and desktop. Let me migrate them to flickr tonight. Sorry about it. XD

Last edited:
Oh shoot, but why? I can view on both mobile and desktop. Let me migrate them to flickr tonight. Sorry about it. XD

I can see your photos of flowers,nice..taken by mobile?
Just lack contrast for the punch,otherwise not bad.Using firefox on PC.:)

Is it taken under shade?

Last edited:
I can see your photos of flowers,nice..taken by mobile?
Just lack contrast for the punch,otherwise not bad.Using firefox on PC.:)

Yea, Sony Z5 Premium with a macro lens. I like it for its portability, just whip out and the camera will most of the work. On the other hand, I really like DSLR Macro-photography too, gives you more room for creativity (though at a much higher premium).

Is it taken under shade?

The whole garden is encased in an air-conditioned dome, so even though its taken during the day, the light is kinda dim.

Anyway, I will be getting a reverse adapter and a ring flash tomorrow to "play" around with. My question is, after making extensive research, there is a-lot of people who thinks ring flash's lighting is kinda flat (crappy in other words). Anyone here with any kind of experience? Regardless, I will be ordering a Yangnuo YN-560 IV soon considering that I will need an external flash sooner or later.

P.S.: Please do tell me if I need a separate thread for different questions.

Last edited:

There you go~ Hopefully I don't embarrass myself.

32129951052_73d22a9dd7_o.jpg

32279248455_a81eb163ec_o.jpg

31437844404_0b107bcaf9_o.jpg

31469092193_bc8879c691_o.jpg
Cant believed this is taken using a mobile phone. Well taken.

Anyway, I will be getting a reverse adapter and a ring flash tomorrow to "play" around with. My question is, after making extensive research, there is a-lot of people who thinks ring flash's lighting is kinda flat (crappy in other words). Anyone here with any kind of experience? Regardless, I will be ordering a Yangnuo YN-560 IV soon considering that I will need an external flash sooner or later.

P.S.: Please do tell me if I need a separate thread for different questions.

I guess in future you could post at Macro/closeups forum but primarily a photo galary but can be used for discussion relating to photos posted?

As a newbie one can be swayed by comments you read online but you have to research and verify the claims.FYI a ring flash or even a normal doughnut shape flourescent light will give an even dispersion of light.It does give a flat look,however depending on distance from subject it can also give a hard look that is hard shadows.A ring flash is designed originally for copying objects.

The problem is people who made such comments don't really know or understand what is light or it's qualities from the standpoint of science/physics.Without light there is no photography so it pays to understand the science of light or lighting for it very much determine the look of photographs.Much can be learned from just how portrait lighting is used to illuminate the human face or body.A good book I recommend is Science,Light and Magic 5th. edition Focal press

An older 3rd.edition can be found online.;)

The yongnuo 560IV is a good manual flash that can vary it's power or light output.If you DIY your own diffuser with paper plates or cups etc. it is a cheap portable light source.Then again will you get a flat look?..haha.;)

Last edited:
Cant believed this is taken using a mobile phone. Well taken.

Hi! Thanks! The lens itself is really quite good. Gotten them from a Kickstarter-based company. They wanted to research for an even stronger version, but didnt get funded the 2nd time. Which is kind of sad IMHO.

As a newbie one can be swayed by comments you read online but you have to research and verify the claims. FYI a ring flash or even a normal doughnut shape flourescent light will give an even dispersion of light.It does give a flat look,however depending on distance from subject it can also give a hard look that is hard shadows.A ring flash is designed originally for copying objects.

Cant say I read/research alot, but apparently there is large majority who is against ring flash.

The problem is people who made such comments don't really know or understand what is light or it's qualities from the standpoint of science/physics.Without light there is no photography so it pays to understand the science of light or lighting for it very much determine the look of photographs.Much can be learned from just how portrait lighting is used to illuminate the human face or body.

Some of the are quite professional (I think...), but their suggestion sometimes doesnt make much sense in terms from economical point of view/for people who are starting out (like attaching multiple claws with flash sideways).

A good book I recommend is URL REDACTED. An older 3rd.edition can be found online.;)

Looks like I am going back to school~~

The yongnuo 560IV is a good manual flash that can vary it's power or light output.If you DIY your own diffuser with paper plates or cups etc. it is a cheap portable light source.

There is a insane amount of positive feedback for the Yongnuo flashes, saying it can even be compared to Canon ones. Most importantly for me as of now, is making sure the hobby is economically sustainable and not scaring myself with all the hefty price tag. Besides I cant spend too much on flash too, need to set aside an additional sum for tripod, mine broke recently. Heard alot of recommendation for Sirui? (is it spelled like that?) So might be getting those. Anyway like everyone say, just have fun!

Then again will you get a flat look?..haha.;)
Most said the ring flash will get me a flat look, but hey, I getting that today and giving it a shot. I think you have to experiment everything yourself to really understand the whole input/process/output. And that is really the whole fun of it. No point listening to everyone online and getting "the best" of everything (if there is "the best" that is)

Last edited:
"Flat light" or not really depends on the purpose and the subject. We all know the infamous lighting used for taking passport pictures, it's the pinnacle of flat lighting smacked into the face. But looking at the purpose it becomes clear why it is done this way. The same applies for any other photography: define the purpose and target and you will get the answer what light you need. Then you will see whether a ring flash is an option or what else you might need.

"Flat light" or not really depends on the purpose and the subject. We all know the infamous lighting used for taking passport pictures, it's the pinnacle of flat lighting smacked into the face. But looking at the purpose it becomes clear why it is done this way. The same applies for any other photography: define the purpose and target and you will get the answer what light you need. Then you will see whether a ring flash is an option or what else you might need.

Hi! Thanks for your input~ Then it seems like I have more homework to do. I know basically nothing much about lighting at this point of time.