camera recommendation on a budget

c3xtl

Jun 5, 2022
Hello!

I’m a student and a complete beginner to photography. Just wondering if anybody could recommend a digital camera to buy on a tight budget. Not looking for anything high-end, will probably find something off Carousell (or if there are better sites, please recommend). There are simply too many brands/models and I got overwhelmed looking through all of them. Probably looking for something produced 5-10 years ago. Budget is as low as possible but with some acceptable/decent quality (say, better than iPhone?). This is a luxurious expense for me/my family and I don’t have much to spare, I just want something compact & inexpensive that I can use to practice.

Am open to film camera recommendations as well - I understand that this is much more expensive in the long run as compared to digital but I’d probably just use it for the occasional snap so one roll of film can last me a long time.

Ideally I would get both film and digital (film is more to take pictures with friends and family on special occasions, digital for actual photography that I can take multiple and delete) but I’ll see what I can do with the $$ I have :)

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Eh, when I was a student my parents didn't even want me to pursue my studies. Nobody helped me I've to move overseas and pay my own also got myself the first 2040 Olympus, won me many competitions.
Any cams are good its just how the person behind the lens. Grab one like these

Its 2022 any camera made within the last decade will be a good purchase.

In terms of utility I'd stick to the iPhone. You'll leave a dedicated still camera at home but never your iPhone.

I support the suggestion that you use your phone first before anything else. Better equipment does not equate to better photographs, and since you're completely new to photography, I'd find that "photography voice" first before you buy anything beyond the phone you already have.

Forget the technicalities of photography. Find what you're trying to say with your photographs first.

" Budget is as low as possible "
You never state budget. As low as possible can mean $50 or less.

At such a price point, it is meaningless to recommend you an ILC body.
Since interchangeable lenses mean extra spending.

It means you want a compact camera recommendation.

I won't suggest you get or use the camera in your phone.
Since you already made it a point to specifically ask for a (not-in-mobile-phone) camera recommendation.

Look for a compact from any brand - such as Panasonic, Canon, Nikon.

Finally if you say " Budget is as low as possible " then film camera is not for you at the moment.
The operational costs of buying rolls of film, developing them and getting hard copy prints from the photo lab is too high.

thank you all so much for your help and advice!

i've decided to get an Olympus E-PL6, i got the price down to $135 with kit lens & accessories. it's very compact for a mirrorless camera, and based on the research i've done the E-PL series is value for money, especially for beginners.

as mentioned by @ricohflex i was originally planning on getting a high-end compact, but unfortunately the prices on carousell were out of my budget. i didn't want to settle for a compact that produced shots worse than what i could get using my phone.

i hope i've made a good choice! once again thanks everybody for your help :)

Am open to film camera recommendations as well - I understand that this is much more expensive in the long run as compared to digital but I’d probably just use it for the occasional snap so one roll of film can last me a long time.
I feel I should address this desire to shoot film. Invariably it's the younger generation that hanker for film photography because it is absent in this digital age and at the same time observing that film photography is not cheap, the film stock that is and the film development and scanning costs into digital format and then the digital editing to make it more like a photo in a magazine. Not forgetting printing the image on photo paper. I hope young people know what they are getting into..the rabbit hole so to speak.

Some might argue that using a film camera makes one a better photographer as one has to be aware of the type of film used and a roll of film gets only 36 shots so one has to be deliberate in terms of what one chooses to photograph and the limitation of shooting in only one iso/asa ( film ) sensitivity to light. While some might argue shooting digital is easier and cheap , instant replay of photo, etc. for a beginner photographer.

Last edited:
If the reason for shooting film is to get the film look , other than Fujifilm developed X- trans sensor cameras there is another recourse which is to use a digital camera with a ccd sensor introduced before the cost saving CMOS image sensor that is now predominant in digital photography but caveats exist in the type of memory storage used in those ccd cameras , either compact flash or SD card which require small memory capacity and the availability of batteries for power but these can be found online as well as the memory cards.

A bachelor's thesis on analogue photography.

Do note that Nikon ccd cameras like d40/X, d60 do not have built in focus drive motor in the body so cannot use d type lenses that d50, d70/a or d200 can. I don't know about d80.

Apparently Robin Wong does not think ccd cameras colours are anything special but do compare photos taken by Steven ( above ) to Robin's that were shot in bright afternoon.

Maybe off topic as thread title is

Serious discussion about CCD Vs CMOS and colour science of various brands may seem to be classified under some other thread.

About Robin's video.
If Robin is able to win a $$$$$$$$$$ professional assignment to shoot products for Coca Cola, it is not a good idea to turn up with a M43 camera.

Maybe off topic as thread title is

Serious discussion about CCD Vs CMOS and colour science of various brands may seem to be classified under some other thread.

About Robin's video.
If Robin is able to win a $$$$$$$$$$ professional assignment to shoot products for Coca Cola, it is not a good idea to turn up with a M43 camera.

Haha, I don't think I'm off topic as mentioning reasons for people wanting to shoot film is relevant because the younger generation and newbies have not come across such info but you are off topic as this is not about Robin Wong using m43 camera but about he saying colour accuracy in commercial photography vis-a-vi ccd Vs CMOS. Anyway Panasonic has added Lumix G9 MK2 so your argument about m43 being dead is irrelevant. More important is I'm providing content here but not you hor.

Gents, keep it simple and straight on topic. Neither did OP ask for color science of certain chip / sensor types, nor did he ask for any sensor size specific arguments carried over from other threads. Thank you.

Reactions: Simon_84