Bringing camera out everyday and humidity.

allenleonhart said:
while doing so, remember not to put ur raynox on the lens. my friend had a nice meltdown inside :)

Talking 'bout me? Lol

if you use your camera daily, you do not have to worry about fungus

I'm almost sure the photojournalists working for the ST etc dont put their cams and lenses into the cab everyday. Ask them to confirm. Their lenses are always in their bags, ready to grab and run. Maybe only during their leave.

Hi All,

I am totally new to cameras. I just bought a Panny GX1 on 30 Jan 2012.
I am not aware of all this fungus stuff only recently, and been doing lots of research on websites.

Frankly speaking, I am quite terrified by the prospect of fungus,...it can damage your lense,..reduce contrast and so on,...and how easily they breed.

Now I got a question, I had not been storing my camera and lense properly since 30 Jan 2012 when I purchased it,...do you think I need to take my lense for inspection? I know we can do our own inspection by shining torchlight through it (but what if there are fungus not visible without microscope view?)
Recent history of how I recall I did my storage -
First seven days - In the camera bag in my masterbedroom (with Air Cond switched on from 10pm till 2am) Lens cap is covered on both prime and zoom lense.
I also had about 3 to 4 days with the camera in my beside wooden drawer,...this is without the camera bag
About 1 day with the camera on the floor with Air Cond switched on from 9pm till 5am.

Only yesterday I bought a airtight container, and today I will be buying silica gel to put inside.

For all those concerned that their cameras and lenses can "catch" fungus, my recommendation to them is Sell Them Away and Don't Own Any. Your worries are over.........

Unless your camera and lens are made out of bread, they won't grow fungus so easily... :nono:

If you are using the airtight container, do get a hygrometer as well to monitor the humidity level. Not sure how low humidity may affect the GX1, might have to refer to other more experienced members to know.

Bring out camera every day is a way to prevent fungus as u let sunlit to go in yr cam.

No it won't, the bag is not airtight. The silica won't help

NOT true, I've experimented 250g of silica gel with different bags (Lowepro, Think Tank, Crumpler, Timbuk2) and conclusion is: silica works!

Fresh silica (re-dried) takes about 2hours to bring the bags' interior to 50-65%, exterior humidity 70-80%. If bag left sealed, humidity kept between 55-60% for up to 4 days. Need to re-dry the silica for best results.

p.s. I still recommend a dry cab but silica gel works for me when I go on 5-8 weeks trip.

I put my lens in a zip lock with silica gel....will fungus grow because of stalled air?

To be honest about myself. I have never put my d5000 in a dry cab or box, I just put it in my camera bag all the time. No gels, nothing. Not a single speck of fungus has been spotted. For 2 years

To be honest about myself. I have never put my d5000 in a dry cab or box, I just put it in my camera bag all the time. No gels, nothing. Not a single speck of fungus has been spotted. For 2 years

i have an old film SLR (Kyocera/Yashica)... has never been put it into a dry box for about 10 years. The 35-70 lens is fungus free, while on the 70-210 lens, one element of the lens has fungus (no fungus on the other elements). I think fungus is a hit/miss thing. There's always a possibility that you'll get it, but no guarantee that you'll get fungus.

Hallo All,

Just to share my little findings yesterday. I bought a Hydrometer, Pro's Kit NT311, it costs RM 36 and its digital...
With such a budget cost, not sure about the accuracy level.
I work in a warehouse with quite expensive hydrometer units,....maybe one day I will take my cheap unit and compare against the expensive ones to see what is the variance like.

I measured several areas (just for your info, I am from Penang, Malaysia) -
Yesterday was one of those usual hot days.

About 7.00pm outdoor - more than 70%RH.

In one of the rooms in my house without Air Cond, 9.00pm - about 59% RH

In my toilet, 9.00pm - about 61% RH
In my toilet, 6.30am - about 65% RH

In my master bedroom with Air Cond switched on, 10.00pm - about 49% RH

In my master bedroom without Aircond, 6.00am - about 54% RH
In the wooden bedside small cabinet drawer without Aircond, 6.00am - about 59% RH (so it does indeed increase, inline with popular believe.

In my airtight box with 2 very small paper packets of silica gel (taken from other box products), 6.00am - 54% RH
So looks like I would need to put in alittle bit more silica gel into the airtight box.

Last edited:
NOT true, I've experimented 250g of silica gel with different bags (Lowepro, Think Tank, Crumpler, Timbuk2) and conclusion is: silica works!

Fresh silica (re-dried) takes about 2hours to bring the bags' interior to 50-65%, exterior humidity 70-80%. If bag left sealed, humidity kept between 55-60% for up to 4 days. Need to re-dry the silica for best results.

p.s. I still recommend a dry cab but silica gel works for me when I go on 5-8 weeks trip.

Using 2hrs and 250g can only bring down to 65%?
oh no... I was thinking of using 10g only!

spawnx said:

250g and have to refresh the silica every 4 days and that's if you don't open your bag. Do you think it's practical?

Last edited:
fungus,mold grows only in de dark,humidity 70%up and stationary air .

You are safe ,but not those office near the sea or reservoir .

ps :your only worry is DUST ,keke

Last edited:
Actually sinned77 is sinned79's bro? :bsmilie:

Ello everyone! Newbie here..Have a Canon 400D for 5 yrs, no dry cabinet, no silica. Fun(guy) developed only after 5 yrs in the kit lens. Telephoto still ok.. *keep my fingers crossed*
Has a 7D, telephoto n kit will be in the dry cabinet from now onwards.. ;p

fungus,mold grows only in de dark,humidity 70%up and stationary air .

You are safe ,but not those office near the sea or reservoir .

ps :your only worry is DUST ,keke
is this confirmed? only in the dark and >70% in stale air?
Then I dont have to worry anymore lor, just put it lying on my table will do since no stale air and is bright.

The safest way without dry cabinet is to sun your lenses every now and then near the window imho.

Even with dry cabinet fungus can develop if lens is left alone too long.