Breaking News! Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just can't see the logic of a mirrorless with K mount. Can't imagine what a dissaster it would have been if the NEX were to be A mount.

K mount MILC for K-mount lenses :D
A bit narrow in the casting of the net, but still not totally illogical. :)

Looking from an all mount user perspective, yes, of course the best would be another NEX like, short flange distance system to mount all those M lens and other exotics.
But looking from a Pentax or brand perspective, it certainly isn't wrong to keep to an existing mount.
Esp. when one already has a rather large base of legacy lenses (and customers) and already have smallish primes for APS-C ( 'A' mount can't have a claim to "smallish' lenses).
It also means straight forward compatibility to existing lenses. Not via adapters, not by workarounds and such.

As to why NEX has quite a few users (a success as you call it), look at it this way :
1. Sony brand will always sell better due to brand visibility (esp for the layman in SEA region)
2. Its often a 2nd system for the serious enthusiast, just like a m4/3 or GXR.
3. Its a body success, not a system success since most folks use their M; EOS; AI or other mount lenses on it.

Don't forget, M lenses are not cheap, and many of the exotics are not that cheap too.

Last edited:
As to why NEX has quite a few users (a success as you call it), look at it this way :
1. Sony brand will always sell better due to brand visibility (esp for the layman in SEA region)
3. Its a body success, not a system success since most folks use their M; EOS; AI or other mount lenses on it.

Don't forget, M lenses are not cheap, and many of the exotics are not that cheap too.

haaa Bro... you selling your G3 for this... ;)

Damn, K5 boh stock, D7000 boh stock, Nex 7 haven cum..... nothing to try..... kena poison but no cure.... :sweat::p......

Till now, still not decided whether to go DSLR, M4/3 or SOOONEEE... :devil:.... need to touch lar... but all not available.....

I have X10... so leaning towards a DSLR for more serious work.... but think of size, maybe wanna try Nex 7.... but afraid not up to par with DSLR and also the price..... damn.... :rolleyes:

haaa Bro... you selling your G3 for this... ;)

Damn, K5 boh stock, D7000 boh stock, Nex 7 haven cum..... nothing to try..... kena poison but no cure.... :sweat::p......

Till now, still not decided whether to go DSLR, M4/3 or SOOONEEE... :devil:.... need to touch lar... but all not available.....

I have X10... so leaning towards a DSLR for more serious work.... but think of size, maybe wanna try Nex 7.... but afraid not up to par with DSLR and also the price..... damn.... :rolleyes:

The G3 fills my needs for a "Photography as an afterthought" 2nd camera.

Look at the whole system and rough overall costs.
Question what lenses you need to have and what overall encumbrance is acceptable to you.
Then make your decision.

K mount MILC for K-mount lenses :D
A bit narrow in the casting of the net, but still not totally illogical. :)

Looking from an all mount user perspective, yes, of course the best would be another NEX like, short flange distance system to mount all those M lens and other exotics.
But looking from a Pentax or brand perspective, it certainly isn't wrong to keep to an existing mount.
Esp. when one already has a rather large base of legacy lenses (and customers) and already have smallish primes for APS-C ( 'A' mount can't have a claim to "smallish' lenses).
It also means straight forward compatibility to existing lenses. Not via adapters, not by workarounds and such.

I look at it from a business stand point. If the potential of the product is narrowed it will reach only a small part of the market. If the NEX were to have just A mount, core Sony/Minolta users would have celebrated but would Sony make money by selling in much smaller numbers. And, from the NEX story, we now know why it is so popular, excellent IQ and adaptability.

I look at it from a business stand point. If the potential of the product is narrowed it will reach only a small part of the market. If the NEX were to have just A mount, core Sony/Minolta users would have celebrated but would Sony make money by selling in much smaller numbers. And, from the NEX story, we now know why it is so popular, excellent IQ and adaptability.

Did they really make money? selling lenses?
I know you like unique lenses, so NEX is surely the camera for you.
But there are those who want nice, small, native lenses and best with AF. (Some, don't know or even care for MF lenses)
Just like my G3 (and maybe the coming Fuji Xpro1)
I'd get one for the native lenses. Small; fast; designed for the system (focal length and sharpness wide open), AF
I won't even bother with adapted lenses and such on systems such as these.
Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
The G3 fills my needs for a "Photography as an afterthought" 2nd camera.

Look at the whole system and rough overall costs.
Question what lenses you need to have and what overall encumbrance is acceptable to you.
Then make your decision.

ya bro, just use my X10 for an event this evening.... cannot lar.... not meant for that.... AF is not fast enough, couple with lack of skills.... :sweat:

Though the compact size is a plus... not so tired... :p

For serious shooting, I am using it for events and portrait mainly..... if got time maybe a bit scenery...... thus my next cam will prob couple with a 17-55mm range and a prime 35mm/50mm..... for leisure free and easy, my X10 can fill in....

Looking at it, K5 seem to fit the bill.... but wanna touch touch NEX to see if it can do the job..... if NEX7 too ex, may look at Nex 5N...... see how lar..... K5 got to cum first then can compare.... :devil:

of course mass production and cheap labour will produce more finance resource to throw into next product in R&D room hahaha, popular ar? Don't know! Excellent IQ?, well as technology progress wait another 4 5 yrs. Sensor sponsor nikon and pentax but label its own as Exmor hahaha.Whats new? I really interested in a PSP with an APC EXMOR sensor as DSLR

Did they really make money? selling lenses?
I know you like unique lenses, so NEX is surely the camera for you.
But there are those who want nice, small, native lenses and best with AF. (Some, don't know or even care for MF lenses)
Just like my G3 (and maybe the coming Fuji Xpro1)
I'd get one for the native lenses. Small; fast; designed for the system (focal length and sharpness wide open), AF
I won't even bother with adapted lenses and such on systems such as these.
Different strokes for different folks.

It's not about you or me but what the market wants. I am always a poor example, but you will be surprised I use my legacy lenses more for video. The kit lens is always stuck to the NEX for stills.

It's not about you or me but what the market wants. I am always a poor example, but you will be surprised I use my legacy lenses more for video. The kit lens is always stuck to the NEX for stills.

Precisely.
This is not just you and me.
Each company and their marketing decides based on their ability, knowledge and 'educated' guesses.
So this is what they think is the direction forward with a new system.

Look at it this way.
If everyone comes up with NEXes (and if you look at it the GXR and Xpro1 are close), and mounts types become irrelevant.
Who can guarantee their shareholders that they still make money from selling lenses?

Actually it has a small part to do with NEX lenses being not that great, so a lot of people would want to hunt outside of the NEX-mount for additional options, I thought?

wow..so much passionate discussions! Well, the NEX is still small when used with the pancake lens which is the one I used most. Sadly, its also the one with the worse image quality. I added the 30mm macro lens recently and that one was much better.

Most of you argued on why should not be K-mount but you also need to see it from Pentax's standpoint too. Having k-mount for thir mirrorless system allows them to tap a segment they are not in presently which is less likely to significantly cannibalize their DSLR range which is important when you want expand your market and not reconfigure it. Also, a k-mount system would create more demand for all their existing lens products without stretching their limited resources to support a new line. And of course, give them bragging rights to say "it can be used with ALL k-mount lenses ever produced".

If I were Pentax, I would highlight the manual lens compatibility as a selling point but would prefer that you buy the new ones. because trading in the second hand market does not result in direct profit for them but selling new lenses do.

:)

Most of you argued on why should not be K-mount but you also need to see it from Pentax's standpoint too. Having k-mount for thir mirrorless system allows them to tap a segment they are not in presently which is less likely to significantly cannibalize their DSLR range which is important when you want expand your market and not reconfigure it. Also, a k-mount system would create more demand for all their existing lens products without stretching their limited resources to support a new line. And of course, give them bragging rights to say "it can be used with ALL k-mount lenses ever produced".

I would like to add on that Pentax has a beautiful range of Limited lenses, which are small in size, and would work perfectly with a mirrorless camera.

Not all of the other brands who started going into the mirrorless market have the luxury of this. Why not K-mount?

wow..so much passionate discussions! Well, the NEX is still small when used with the pancake lens which is the one I used most. Sadly, its also the one with the worse image quality. I added the 30mm macro lens recently and that one was much better.

If I were Pentax, I would highlight the manual lens compatibility as a selling point but would prefer that you buy the new ones. because trading in the second hand market does not result in direct profit for them but selling new lenses do.

:)

Yup yup.. It is still small if you put the DA pancake lens on it. But the lost of AF and the feel of MF with the DA lens, no fun leh.. :(
So why people love the NEX is that it can use with Manual lens (M Mount, The Contax G mount, the CZ lenses are giving new life!) with ease and the focusing peaks does help.

Creating another lens setup with a new mount is good but after using NEX, I am not intrigue in getting E-mount lens, was so tempted with the Sony CZ 24, but in the end, i could not bring myself in buying it at all.

Keeping it as K-mount, it can tap straight out of the cuurent DA limiteds and it AF without any adapter...... People who don't have those lenses will still buy DA limited which is still selling as new lenses . hee...And also, space saving as I need not have two different mount of lenses.. It's a adv to me.

How the NEX look with my Pentax lens. Can't wait for the annoucment and put it on a Pentax MirrorlesS!! Pray that it is as good!!!
NEX with DA 40
NEX with A50 1.4
NEX with FA85

How i wish it has autofocus though :X
But if they could make a smaller Zoom lens, it will be more cool!! hee...

I'm curious to see how fast is the AF with one of the DA limiteds in K5's Liveview. I'm sure there will be some improvements on this model's CDAF, but K5 should be a good baseline.

I would like to add on that Pentax has a beautiful range of Limited lenses, which are small in size, and would work perfectly with a mirrorless camera.

Ah! That says it all for me.

The only reason I'm willing to use a DSLR -- I really, really dislike big camera bodies -- is because of the Limiteds. They make the entire package small enough, and with the bonus of biggish APSC sensor and superb lens quality. (These matter to me. When I take photos, I always do it with the final biggish print in mind, whether or not I eventually do prints.)

May the rumour be true!

Mm. It looks awkward, as in even the super-skinny DA40 sticks out so much! The adaptor is too bulky.

Yup, I also hope :)

Bulky ar, never see haiz. Toto no tio if not I buy a brand new NEX and Da 40 and force it in until spoil then throw away nex and call for next better player please

I think why Nex can sell is just because of 2 point...

1. it have the biggest sensor in mirrorless market... just like ppl aim for FF...
2. It is should be able to use adaptor for almost all lens...

Not all of the other brands who started going into the mirrorless market have the luxury of this. Why not K-mount?

True.. but with the flange distance necessary, it ends up a bit impractical and unwieldy, especially with the FA31!

378134_10150511398676138_748241137_11186329_324349441_n.jpg

Pentax NEEDS a mirrorless camera because it will stop all current Pentax lens owners from putting nice Pentax glass onto hideous other brand bodies. :bigeyes:
Aside from stopping current Pentax users to migrate to mirrorless brands from other makers, (blasphemous and sinful behaviour) :nono: :eek: it will hopefully also allow other lenses to be used onto a Pentax body.
If the sensor is APS-C or bigger, all the better.
I got the money, but when is it coming? I'll believe it when I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.