Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernLights

Dec 17, 2002
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Just want to get comments...

Do brands that always change models say twice a year...do people who use that system feel insecure?

Eg. DSLR models.

comments please.:)

One should judge a component by basis of its own functionality on an absolute scale rather than whether it has been replaced or not.

A good product will still be good, even when other models are introduced, to take its place.

A mediocre product, even if its not replaced will still be a mediocre product.

A good product will still be good, even when other models are introduced, to take its place.

Not really... good or not good can be relative. Something can be good... until something better comes along.

Of course, if it is still able to serve you well, it 's still good.

But with digital, there's always the threat of being obsolete.

Originally posted by Freed
Not really... good or not good can be relative. Something can be good... until something better comes along.

Of course, if it is still able to serve you well, it 's still good.

But with digital, there's always the threat of being obsolete.

Yes, but the question is "how much better", digital will progress, but there will come a time when the limits are reached and progress stagnates. This has occurred for film cameras, which is why their prices remain stable. However, one should differentiate between actual functionality and perceived value, as the latter bears little consideration unless one intends to swap equipment often rather than to properly use it.

As for the previous point I mentioned, it was with regard to NorthernLights original post:

I believe the comparison is being made between someone who owns a system that has new models coming out, vs someone who has a system that doesn't seem to have replacements.

The key point here is whether the replacements are actually significantly better than the predecessor.

And that if a competing system without new replacements has a decent product or not.

Why should one feel insecure compared to another that has no replacements if he owns a superior product in the first place? He should be happy that the company is continually trying to advance the state of the art rather than to sit back on its laurels.

An owner of a system that has no replacements would feel even less secure if the component he owns is lacking and that there is no replacement coming out.(e.g Minolta) On another note, if the component he has is already very capable both on an absolute scale and also relative to a competing system, then he has nothing to worry.(e.g nikon)

you shouldn't be feeling insecured, unless every new DSLR model comes with a new lens mount

I hope with the falling prices of CCD sensor. Every DSLR will have a full frame sensor to eliminate the need to remember to multiply the lens focal length by 1.5 or 1.6 to get the actual focal length.

And this limits the Wide Angle lens, as it would be difficult to get a true 15 or 17mm Wide on a DSLR due to the multiplication factor

Just like I hope the Plasma TV, drop to below $4000 or $3000 from their > $10K now.

Well, why let what they churn out bother you? So long you continue to make good pictures, then it shouldn't really be an issue at all...

If they simply feel insecure over something as trivial over brand names that bring out new camera models ever so often, then leave the person be.

He/she is probably insecure to start with. ;p

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Well, why let what they churn out bother you? So long you continue to make good pictures, then it shouldn't really be an issue at all...

If they simply feel insecure over something as trivial over brand names that bring out new camera models ever so often, then leave the person be.

He/she is probably insecure to start with. ;p

Wise words indeed. :thumbsup:

Quoting from a good photography book, that I am reading now...

"It's the photographer that takes the picture, not the camera"

Agree with Zerstorer and Wolfgang. It does not matter what new cameras come along, as long as you have spent enough time mastering the camera that you already have. If you can take good photos with it, then what does it matter if there are new models or not ?

There are many people who take excellent photos with mechanical cameras manufactured 20-30 years ago. So the thing that we can learn from these people is that it doesnt matter how many new cameras come out after the camera you own -- as long as you are completely comfortable with the one you have.

Just my thought on a different aspect.

When a product is current. It is still being manufactured, parts are almost readily available. :)

When a product is discontinued. That means no more manufacturing. No more new parts churned out of the factory. Though the US law specificed that manufacturer must maintain availability of spare parts for at least 6 years after a product is discontinued. It can get pretty expensive as time passes by as inventory diminishes.

Hence, if I were to pay top dollar ($3000) for a product and it was discontinued 6 months later, I would have trouble getting replacement parts let say after 2 years as it would be deemed an obsolete product even though it is a good product and served me well and I wish to continue using it. It would be better off to get a newer product than to replace faulty components. :cry:

Unlike PC where we could salvage parts to be used in a new PC. DSLR body come and go as one.

BTW, aside from shutter openings/closing how many of us knows that DSLR cmos/ccd sensor has a relative limited lifespan depending on usage pattern? By allowing free to shoot away since no flim cost is involved, one would have also reach the 100,000th shutterclicks in a short time. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.