Borobudur

pigs_can_fly

Oct 21, 2004
Singapore
www.alvinteo.com
Sunrise at Borobudur.

20100517213410__dsc7031a.jpg

Superb ....

nice mood. may i ask where is the sunrise?

nice.........

beautiful shot.

Alvin, wow... nice. did i miss this from your facebook acc :dunno:

Very, very nice.
Could be a backdrop for a Lord of The Rings sequel, should Peter Jackson ever make one (more).

Is that Mt Doom I see in the distance? ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks, guys.

Alvin, wow... nice. did i miss this from your facebook acc :dunno:

I didn't upload this pic to Facebook. :)

nice mood. may i ask where is the sunrise?

Perhaps, I should change the title to Sun Rising. :bsmilie:

This was taken at around 0520 hrs Indonesia time.

lovely shot!! i have plans to visit this place sometime this year... any tips from you??
:)

many thanks in advance!!

lovely shot!! i have plans to visit this place sometime this year... any tips from you??
:)

many thanks in advance!!

It's quite easy to get around in Yogyakarta. It's best to stay at Manohara Hotel where it is just 200m away from Borobudur. Spent 2D1N there and went up Borobudur 3 times at different hours. Traveled to Yogyakarta on the second day and spend the day shopping at Malioboro. Didn't visit the other temples as I don't have much time. Need to be back in SG the following day.

The sunrise is something that you do not want to miss. You need to start walking to Borobudur from Manohara at around 0430 hrs. So, staying at Manohara is an advantage. Those who stay in Yogyakarta will have to wake up very early to catch the sunrise as they need about 1.5 hrs to travel to Magelang.

The crowd will start to come in at around 0830 hrs. The crowd will mainly hang around at the top of the temple. So, during this period, you can shoot the bas reliefs at the galleries at the lower levels.

Great shot, conveys the mood of morning :)
Thanks for the tips, have always wanted to go, I'm guessing there are already many people when you were there for the sunrise?
Am curious though, the left portion looks dark but looks normal after the leftmost stupa's spire - artifact from processing? or just the way the sun worked? The clouds seem seamless though

It's quite easy to get around in Yogyakarta. It's best to stay at Manohara Hotel where it is just 200m away from Borobudur. Spent 2D1N there and went up Borobudur 3 times at different hours. Traveled to Yogyakarta on the second day and spend the day shopping at Malioboro. Didn't visit the other temples as I don't have much time. Need to be back in SG the following day.

The sunrise is something that you do not want to miss. You need to start walking to Borobudur from Manohara at around 0430 hrs. So, staying at Manohara is an advantage. Those who stay in Yogyakarta will have to wake up very early to catch the sunrise as they need about 1.5 hrs to travel to Magelang.

The crowd will start to come in at around 0830 hrs. The crowd will mainly hang around at the top of the temple. So, during this period, you can shoot the bas reliefs at the galleries at the lower levels.

nice tips! :thumbsup: will mark this post so i can refer to next time when i go.

Great shot, conveys the mood of morning :)
Thanks for the tips, have always wanted to go, I'm guessing there are already many people when you were there for the sunrise?
Am curious though, the left portion looks dark but looks normal after the leftmost stupa's spire - artifact from processing? or just the way the sun worked? The clouds seem seamless though

I was quite fortunate on that day that there ain't a lot of people there for the sunrise because it rained from 0200 hrs to 0400 hrs. And, it rained again from 0510 hrs to around 0545 hrs. A number of people probably gave up making a trip from Yogyakarta to Borobudur to catch the sunrise.

This image was shot in a drizzle on a tripod. So, everything was wet and I was drenched.

After you mentioned, I took a look at the original image and it seems to be correct and not because of the post-processing. I suppose it just happen that the leftmost portion of the image after the stupa is slightly darker than the rest. It's not a result of the post-processing.

:thumbsup: wow many thanks!!