Born free - Hover series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccplim

Jan 6, 2004
BN
www.avianwatchasia.org
I noticed that they did this pretty often. Wondering are they looking at some target on the ground?

Any bros can advise?

Pic #1
10102004-123.jpg

Pic #2
10102004-125.jpg

Pic #3
10102004-131.jpg

Pic #4
10102004-132.jpg

Newguy69 said:
Wow...veri swee series :thumbsup: Well done bro!

Cheers

Wah, another nice series. In #4 it seems to be ready for the kill :think:
What happened after that ?

harlequin2902 said:
Wah, another nice series. In #4 it seems to be ready for the kill :think:
What happened after that ?

It flew away after hovering for about 5 mins :(

Thanks to bro harlequin2902 and newguy69 for the kind comments :)

This bugger is ready for a strike. We waited for it to strike but it just flew off after that. But we were lucky as it hovers very close to us and for a long time too. Mine is still in RAW format. Too busy now:cry:.

Good catch there bro! Nice shots of the hovering BSK. :thumbsup:

ccplim said:
I noticed that they did this pretty often. Wondering are they looking at some target on the ground?

Any bros can advise?
Yes, you are right, this is one of their techniques for hunting prey, hovering in the air at one spot before swooping down onto their prey. One of the few species of raptors that hunt by hovering over its prey, the American kestrel family also uses the same technique.

jbma said:
This bugger is ready for a strike. We waited for it to strike but it just flew off after that. But we were lucky as it hovers very close to us and for a long time too. Mine is still in RAW format. Too busy now:cry:.

Yah man. Too bad it flew away. If only we know that he will be there for so long, I will have setup my tripod.

Garion said:
Good catch there bro! Nice shots of the hovering BSK. :thumbsup:

Yes, you are right, this is one of their techniques for hunting prey, hovering in the air at one spot before swooping down onto their prey. One of the few species of raptors that hunt by hovering over its prey, the American kestrel family also uses the same technique.

Wow! Then these guy must have real good eye sight :bigeyes: I estimated that BSK was about 40-50 meters above ground level.

I did saw a similar scene a few weeks back when shooting in SG. But then, the bird was too far away for me to ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.