Bonsai Kittens ... anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sensires

Oct 25, 2003
[QUOTE - from a post on my Friendster bulletin]
A site that we were able to shut last year has returned. We have to try to shut it down again! A Japanese man in New York breeds and sells kittens that are called BONSAI CATS. That would sound cute, if it weren't kittens that were put in to little bottles after being given a muscle relaxant and then locked up for the rest of their lives. The cats are fed through a straw and have a small tube for their faeces. The skeleton of the cat will take on the form of the bottle as the kitten grows. The cats never get the opportunity to move. They are used as original and exclusive souvenirs.These are the latest trends in New York, China, Indonesia and New Zealand.

If you think you can handle it, view www.bonsaikitten.com and have a look at the methods being used to put these little kittens into bottles. This petition needs 500 names, so please put your one name on it!!!

Copy the text into a new post and put your name ...​
[UNQUOTE]

It reads horrible enough :angry:, and seeing the pictures on website made me wonder how someone could be so cruel to subject a living thing to such treatment. How did the thought even crossed his mind.

Couldn't tahan :complain: So I wrote to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or ASPCA (signing off as an individual from Singapore - you'll see why I emphasize). I referred them to the website and attached some information about the owner of the domain that I managed to uncover (which revealed him as an American) ... well, fortunately and unfortunately, this is the reply I received:

[QUOTE - ASPCA]
Dear Sir/Madam:

The Bonsai Kitten Web site has generated a lot of feedback from concerned individuals in the animal welfare community. The ASPCA shares your anger and concern about Bonsai Kitten. While the Internet has made a positive contribution to our society, it has also resulted in the rapid expansion of publicity for individuals who promote animal abuse. The ASPCA as well as other major humane organizations across the U.S. have attempted to discourage the promoters of this Web site from their activity. Our Humane Law Enforcement Department, as well as other law enforcement agencies, is aware of the Bonsai Kitten site and has determined that it is a hoax site operated by an MIT student in Massachusetts, (not in New York, as had been stated on the Web site). Moreover, thanks to the active participation of Web-users such as yourselves, the Web site has been forced to shut down and move a number of times before finding its present host.

In the United States, individuals have the constitutional right to freedom of speech; therefore, they may discuss and advocate for animal abuse on the Internet and in other public forums as long as they don’t practice what they preach. As such, the matter becomes the responsibility of the particular Internet service providers (“ISPs”). Since contacting the Web site directly has only increased the creators’ resolve to maintain the site, we recommend that concerned citizens NOT contact the person running this site or any other Bonsai Kitten related sites. These are obviously individuals who are just looking for attention. The best thing that we can do is ignore the Web site creators and complain to the host Web site and its advertisers. You can find the address of an ISP by connecting Network Solutions at http://www.networksolutions.com and inputting the name of the Web site.
(NOTE: Network Solutions merely registers domain names and is not responsible in any way for the content of the Web sites it registers)

We appreciate your effort in contacting us, and would like to give you some general information on how to fight against this and any other similar sites that you may encounter...​
[UNQUOTE]

I think the creator of the website is totally sick and, "bo liao" ... think if it was based in Singapore the authorities wouldn't have much trouble shutting it down ... what? totalitarian?? Gladly so!! :bsmilie: .... in this instance at least :sweat:

FYI ... so you won't be a "swaku" and go email them like i did ... :p And btw, Do e-mail petitions work? :eek:

dementate said:
Dude, I think that site's a hoax. The email too.
does this sound familiar?

do you feel it?

do you feel it all around you?

do you feel the matrix?

=p

dementate said:
Dude, I think that site's a hoax. The email too.

erm ... u sure you read my post? :eek: ... correctly? :)

sensires said:
erm ... u sure you read my post? :eek: ... correctly? :)

Ah yes, :embrass: missed the link to salon.com, have seen this before and was in a hurry to save you (and everyone else) the aggravation of falling for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.