Blurry pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken a few pictures in some light deficient areas, the pictures turn out blurry when the object moves. I know that it's due to lack of light. So I tried adjusting the shutter speed and iso, but it helps to a small extent. So i will like to ask if it's because of th lens i use?

To what extent did u adjust the shutter speed?

In dim light situation, the only deciding factor is the shutter speed. You adjust iso, increase aperture, all is to increase the shutter speed. If u increase ur shutter speed from a slow 1/15 to a still slow 1/60, it won't help much. Especially for sports, it will need at least 1/150 - 1/200 to get a satisfying results.

If ur shutter speed is fast enough, the blurry effects may come from wrong focusing. In dim light, the auto-focus is difficult to function correctly and it's also difficult with manual focus. It needs more practice! :)

However, when the person moves his hand, the hand went blurry but the face still sharp. So it's due to the focusing? or is it because of the lens? I am using kit lens.

I'm guessing its because the shutter speed is still not fast enough...... esp if you want to create the "freeze" effect....

i tried to increase the iso and change the shutter speed but it's still blur.

Post ur pics with exif intact so ppl here can advise you better.... rather than guess here and there

In order for others to help you, you must provide more information. exif information (shutter focal length, speed, iso, aperture, flash yes/no, etc etc...) is a good start. Best is to post the picture with exif intact, and additional info would be whether or not you used tripod and remote trigger.

You're being very confusing. First you said that "I know that it's due to lack of light", then you ask "So it's due to the focusing? or is it because of the lens?"

Based solely on the text that I've quoted below, and your statement "...in some light deficient areas...", I think that your shutter speed is probably too slow to freeze any motion. If increasing ISO/Aperture doesn't help enough, then you need additional light, like more lighting, or a flashgun.

chikubang said:
However, when the person moves his hand, the hand went blurry but the face still sharp....

speaking in general, if you're shooting a moving subject in low lighting conditions, use slow sync flash (or fill flash if movements are fast)! no matter how good your lens is, it wouldn't be possible to achieve shutter speeds high enough to eliminate quick hand movements and such in low lighting conditions.. otherwise, it won't be called low lighting conditions..

for APS-C DSLRs, try not to go above ISO800.. I never go more than 400.. :D

Sorry for being so misleading. Anyway, I am not sure if it's becasue of the quality of lens that result in those blurry images after i have varies the range of shutter speed and iso to counter the blurry images. I didnt use flash because it will not capture the background. I will try to upload the picture if i have (dunnoe deleted away or not):think:.But the picture is just blurry hands when they are moving.

Sorry for being so misleading. Anyway, I am not sure if it's becasue of the quality of lens that result in those blurry images after i have varies the range of shutter speed and iso to counter the blurry images. I didnt use flash because it will not capture the background. I will try to upload the picture if i have (dunnoe deleted away or not):think:.But the picture is just blurry hands when they are moving.
it WILL capture the background if you use Slow Sync flash.. it won't if you use Fill flash..

Inside a restaurant, I am certain that the blurry pics must have been caused by shutter speed not fast enough to freeze movements.
You may want to bump your ISO higher (e.g. 1600 or even 3200) with your kit lens as the aperture is not large enough to freeze motion. So you got to compensate by increasing your ISO which may cause noisy picture in return, but at least by doing that, your shutter speed can be adjusted faster to be able to freeze movements.

Another alternative is to get a prime lens like the 50mm 1.8, fast and cheap lens! :)

when there isn't enough light, there are only 4 things i can think of that can be done:
1) increase ISO setting
2) increase aperture (smaller f number)
3) use of additional light (eg flashgun)
4) reduce shutter speed

basically in a restaurant, lighting is minimal. If you only do point #1 and #2, unlikely to get a fast enough shutter speed to freeze action. Furthermore, high iso = more noise; kit lens max aperture usually only f3.5. Not very large.

I usually use a standard M mode setting for restaurant as a guideline and adjust a bit.

Shutter: 1/60
F 5.6
ISO 800
Flash + 2/3 bounce card (on 580EX)

I just adjust the settings if the light fall differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.