Black & White Street Series

happy new year again...

i know u can complain the chef's food is lousy, that is the only thing u can say, but you can't improve the chef's skill of cooking.. so the complains doesn't help. And it is just a complains like general publics. And most of the ppl here always like to said will not spoon feed and etc. But for me, if want to improve.. learn from a better person, not the complains.

It is like the old time kung fu master, if need to improve skills, they will look for another master that are better to learn, no master like to learn of the small fries that can only complains only.

if I want to say something nasty is "son dun teach the father how to fxxxx". :nono:

one more time to clarity, I still accept comments if the comments are constructive. It is more for discussion for learning.. until now I have not scold ppl on their face. I only voice out my opinions.

Here's my comments. The photos like everyone said, looks like snapshots. You pretty much shot just for the sake of shooting. And all you pretty much do is just get a person in the picture regardless of what he/she is doing and snap. That isn't street photography.
Street photography is telling a story of a random person through a picture.

Be selective about your subject. Wait for the proper moment. Judge by the rate, you'll probably have 10000 pictures if you went to Orchard Road.

And PLEASE! Listen to people's comments and don't give excuses such as this person doesn't have a good picture so he can't critique my work. Who are you to judge that this person's work is so crap that he can't judge your picture? It's pretty snobbish of you.

It's like food. Unless you are Gordon Ramsey, you definitely can't make any comments about anyone's cooking then?

Photography is aesthetic. People CAN see what's good and bad regardless of how well he/she can shoot or not.

happy new year again...

i know u can complain the chef's food is lousy, that is the only thing u can say, but you can't improve the chef's skill of cooking.. so the complains doesn't help. And it is just a complains like general publics. And most of the ppl here always like to said will not spoon feed and etc. But for me, if want to improve.. learn from a better person, not the complains.

It is like the old time kung fu master, if need to improve skills, they will look for another master that are better to learn, no master like to learn of the small fries that can only complains only.

if I want to say something nasty is "son dun teach the father how to fxxxx". :nono:

one more time to clarity, I still accept comments if the comments are constructive. It is more for discussion for learning.. until now I have not scold ppl on their face. I only voice out my opinions.

Er...

Not really danny...

If you complain to the chef that his food isnt up to the mark, it is actually up to the chef to sit down, taste his own food, go around asking for opinions on how to improve etc. Some initiative on his part.

Or....... he can just sit around & just "submit to faith" that he is a bad chef.

Bottomline improvement comes from one self really. You can shift the blame all around & get nothing done or you can just be simply sorted out within yourself

Last edited:
Er...

Not really danny...

If you complain to the chef that his food isnt up to the mark, it is actually up to the chef to sit down, taste his own food, go around asking for opinions on how to improve etc. Some initiative on his part.

Or....... he can just sit around & just "submit to faith" that he is a bad chef.

Bottomline improvement comes from one self really.

ok cheese, I will take ur advise, u r a better one.. hahahaha:sweatsm:

aiya, I'm not better la....

just shoot more, pratice more, see more on how other shoot then try improve.

Everyone started somewhere, my pictures used to be really bad, they still are but just keep trying... ;p

Mmm... I think a good way to start will be going thru Flickr. Looking at how people capture moments, emotions, etc. Study the composition, how the photographer sees light, etc. Open the photo you like from the photographer in one browser window and open yours in another side by side then study how different the 2 photos are, what you're lacking and learn from there. My 2 cts.

Hi dannyfoxy,

I don't dare to give comments leh cos I'm ain't any better also. hahaha.
Anyway, just to share my golden rule:

Only show the best shots

I believe most of us have lots of wasted shots, hundreds, thousands of it. Dun worry, keep shooting, one day we will just have a breakthrough.
Lastly, the breakthrough will only come after we ourself spend time from the very start to end: compose pic -> shoot -> selection of pic -> pp if needed -> self-critique -> re-shoot same pic.

Last edited:
Hi dannyfoxy,

I don't dare to give comments leh cos I'm ain't any better also. hahaha.
Anyway, just to share my golden rule:

Only show the best shots

I believe most of us have lots of wasted shots, hundreds, thousands of it. Dun worry, keep shooting, one day we will just have a breakthrough.
Lastly, the breakthrough will only come after we ourself spend time from the very start to end: compose pic -> shoot -> selection of pic -> pp if needed -> self-critique -> re-shoot same pic.

shoot a bit more, read a bit more, feel a bit more. You will improve a bit more.:)

This reminds me of a radio commercial.

I can't understand why you seem to be so on edge once people either say its like random snaps or when people ask u to be more receptive to critiques. I think if one individual say that to you, it may mean nothing, but its quite clear a few are asking u to be more open to critiques. Doesn't that signal anything to you?

I read through all the comments and feedbacks on my thread, no matter they had shown their work or not. Their work has no relation to mine so i won't judge the value of their critique by their work or whether they display or not. You can choose not to agree with other's feedback, eg, someone said jeep is a lousy subject. If you disagree, think about why and how u can turn it into a good subject. No point getting defensive.

No one here scolded or insulted you. Its all in the mind. Of course, i rest my case if you insist.

Last edited:
no worries.. these not even snap shots, I just hang the camera on my chest and shot while I walk on street. Mr Moby don't even have a link to show any of your photos.. I shall learn from you what is work for you.

I'm trying to learn from Junku, one of my contact on flickr, I like his style of street.
here are the linkm you can say there don't work for you but it work for others ppl.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/junku-newcleus/

V nice street photos from Junku-newcleus!!:thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing this link, danny! :thumbsup:

This reminds me of a radio commercial.

I can't understand why you seem to be so on edge once people either say its like random snaps or when people ask u to be more receptive to critiques. I think if one individual say that to you, it may mean nothing, but its quite clear a few are asking u to be more open to critiques. Doesn't that signal anything to you?

I read through all the comments and feedbacks on my thread, no matter they had shown their work or not. Their work has no relation to mine so i won't judge the value of their critique by their work or whether they display or not. You can choose not to agree with other's feedback, eg, someone said jeep is a lousy subject. If you disagree, think about why and how u can turn it into a good subject. No point getting defensive.

No one here scolded or insulted you. Its all in the mind. Of course, i rest my case if you insist.

hey bro, u missing something when u reading all the threads ? I already admitted the shots are worse than snapshot, in my 2nd reply.. since when I never admit the shot was bad? And i explained the shot was not properly composed. I even said I will shoot more and make it better.

I never defense that my photos are good at all. :nono:

PS:
I'm only not happy with those ppl that talk a lot without basics. Eg. karkias that nv run biz in the company everyday complain about how bosses bad in running biz..

Last edited:
I won't comment on the photos, i believe everyone likes their own photos, and so be it, it's their art.. But, yes, i think if we put a picture here, although for the sole purpose of sharing, someone from somewhere will definitely say something, just accept it.. If you happen to say something, explain with rationale, don't just say it's bad, and that's it.. Explain why you think this doesn't work, that will help the photographer to improve himself/herself.. And i think it is a good thing to give some encouragement as well.. I am not referring to anyone, but rather to the general people here, cus this is what i feel.. People give comments but without explaining why they give such comments.. If they sincerely want to give comments for improvements, go a longer way by explaining what are your thoughts, why certain things don't work.. hope i don't offend anyone and i hope we all can help each other to improve..

Cheers..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Very true. By saying something something sucks without saying in what aspect it sucks doesn't help anyone. You learn through criticism, receiving and giving. Then again, i feel the photographer should be the first filter, the first person to critic on his own photos and learn from it.

I won't comment on the photos, i believe everyone likes their own photos, and so be it, it's their art.. But, yes, i think if we put a picture here, although for the sole purpose of sharing, someone from somewhere will definitely say something, just accept it.. If you happen to say something, explain with rationale, don't just say it's bad, and that's it.. Explain why you think this doesn't work, that will help the photographer to improve himself/herself.. And i think it is a good thing to give some encouragement as well.. I am not referring to anyone, but rather to the general people here, cus this is what i feel.. People give comments but without explaining why they give such comments.. If they sincerely want to give comments for improvements, go a longer way by explaining what are your thoughts, why certain things don't work.. hope i don't offend anyone and i hope we all can help each other to improve..

Cheers..

i agree with some here.

to me i find these are more like candid snapshots. Candid as in, it seems like u are capturing candid moments. Snapshots as in ignoring all the technicalities (which includes composition).

anyway i dun really like doing street shoots in singapore. most singaporeans are too camera shy or camera unfriendly. cos of the existence of stomp website, many feared their photos got uploaded for this purpose. hence even uncles and aunties appears tense when u take their photos. i have better luck taking street shoots of tourists or foreign workers in singapore, they are more open up and allows u to take their pictures.

Last edited: