Black & White Street Series

None of the pics work for me.

First, the jeep is a lousy subject for a street shot. No life in that.

The rest, just random snaps in black and white.

None of the pics work for me.

First, the jeep is a lousy subject for a street shot. No life in that.

The rest, just random snaps in black and white.

not every people or should i say most people don't start out as genius in street photography... give the man a break, he might improve if he pursue shooting streets!

anyways, TS is not even asking for comments... maybe you can post your shot to give TS an example of a street shot that "works"!;)

happy new year!

no worries.. these not even snap shots, I just hang the camera on my chest and shot while I walk on street. Mr Moby don't even have a link to show any of your photos.. I shall learn from you what is work for you.

I'm trying to learn from Junku, one of my contact on flickr, I like his style of street.
here are the linkm you can say there don't work for you but it work for others ppl.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/junku-newcleus/

Hi DannyFox, I think my comments drew more "emotion" than your pictures posted. I admit my comments had a little "sting" in it but not "insulting".

First, you have to give some context to your pictures. If you think that you can achieve a certain "Look" to your pictures by snapping from your chest level without a view finder than ask yourself if you have managed to achieve that "look". From my view point........No.

Secondly, I am not an expert nor claim to be. But everyone has comments and even if you are a professional artist, your works will get comments from the guy on the street. Better to evaluate if your works are achieving the intended objective.

THird, I believe you posted ur pictures on the forum for certain amount of comments. Otherwise, please place them on ur harddrive or private album where no one can see them.

We all learn from one in one way or another.........maybe your pics dont work for me, but they may work for someone else.

All in all, this is just a hobby and not ur profession, so if we still have a long way to go to be even considered "good" then so be it. Push urself to the next level.

Cheers and Happy New Year!!

Hi DannyFox, I think my comments drew more "emotion" than your pictures posted. I admit my comments had a little "sting" in it but not "insulting".

First, you have to give some context to your pictures. If you think that you can achieve a certain "Look" to your pictures by snapping from your chest level without a view finder than ask yourself if you have managed to achieve that "look". From my view point........No.

Secondly, I am not an expert nor claim to be. But everyone has comments and even if you are a professional artist, your works will get comments from the guy on the street. Better to evaluate if your works are achieving the intended objective.

THird, I believe you posted ur pictures on the forum for certain amount of comments. Otherwise, please place them on ur harddrive or private album where no one can see them.

We all learn from one in one way or another.........maybe your pics dont work for me, but they may work for someone else.

All in all, this is just a hobby and not ur profession, so if we still have a long way to go to be even considered "good" then so be it. Push urself to the next level.

Cheers and Happy New Year!!

Bro.. happy new year to you too. I can accept comments but your comments sucks :thumbsd::thumbsd:. :devil:

Ps..Photography is visual art, no picture no talk. If wanna have discussion about how bad is the work then please do so. I'm not here to debate good or bad, I will just shot more and improve.

Last edited:
hmmm..

Shooting from the chest without looking through the VF always puts a frown in my face. Its a big no no for me but thats just me.

I think shooting street, you need to build a concept & your own style so that even random shots have your signature in it.

PS: I agree with moby on his points. I think before you can even improve, you gotta learn to take hard comments....

Last edited:
hmmm..

Shooting from the chest without looking through the VF always puts a frown in my face. Its a big no no for me but thats just me.

I think shooting street, you need to build a concept & your own style so that even random shots have your signature in it.

PS: I agree with moby on his points. I think before you can even improve, you gotta learn to take hard comments....

Helo Mr Cheese,

Comment can be discuss.. I will learn from comments, but comments that cannot help me to improve my skill = no value..

Anyway the chest or hip shot is no no for this forum, I should move the photos to LOMO forums.:bsmilie:

Helo Mr Cheese,

Comment can be discuss.. I will learn from comments, but comments that cannot help me to improve my skill = no value..

Anyway the chest or hip shot is no no for this forum, I should move the photos to LOMO forums.:bsmilie:

Hmm..

I think hard comments or comments with so called help you improve should be both considered as valuable feedback.

With hard comments, yes, it does sting but it puts you back to the drawing board & ask yourself, how can you take better pictures, how you can better improve etc.

Cant be spoon fed on how to improve all the time. I believe it takes an individual to re-think concepts on their own to improve ;)

Hmm..

I think hard comments or comments with so called help you improve should be both considered as valuable feedback.

With hard comments, yes, it does sting but it puts you back to the drawing board & ask yourself, how can you take better pictures, how you can better improve etc.

Cant be spoon fed on how to improve all the time. I believe it takes an individual to re-think concepts on their own to improve ;)

So, can I have comment on the photos? No on the chest or hip shot? :devil:

I think while moby is harsh in his comments, i guess TS should be open about it. Not everyone will sayang you and give u sweet criticisms. Moby did not insult you and i think as far as that is concerned, at least he bothered to comment. Take it which way you'd like, i think it does have its constructive side.

If you want to only hear good comments or "nice" criticisms, then i'm not sure why you should put it up here. You can put it on facebook and your friends will most certainly go gaga over it. There was no cynicism or sarcasm in moby's comment, so i think that sits fine. It take courage to write such harsh critique after all. I guess, we should help each other to improve instead of degenerating into searching for your critic's shot to hit back at your critic. I think that is absolutely not in the spirit of learning.

Just a general feedback, from someone just starting out in streets (i.e. me), i was drawn to your thread by the black and white in your title. I have to admit i hoped to see some emotions brought out by the bnw or some theme which is conveyed. However, to be honest, i think it seems a little snap-shottish, which i think i tend to do also. Hope that sits fine with you.

Last edited:
I think while moby is harsh in his comments, i guess TS should be open about it. Not everyone will sayang you and give u sweet criticisms. Moby did not insult you and i think as far as that is concerned, at least he bothered to comment. Take it which way you'd like, i think it does have its constructive side.

If you want to only hear good comments or "nice" criticisms, then i'm not sure why you should put it up here. You can put it on facebook and your friends will most certainly go gaga over it. There was no cynicism or sarcasm in moby's comment, so i think that sits fine. It take courage to write such harsh critique after all. I guess, we should help each other to improve instead of degenerating into searching for your critic's shot to hit back at your critic. I think that is absolutely not in the spirit of learning.

Just a general feedback, from someone just starting out in streets (i.e. me), i was drawn to your thread by the black and white in your title. I have to admit i hoped to see some emotions brought out by the bnw or some theme which is conveyed. However, to be honest, i think it seems a little snap-shottish, which i think i tend to do also. Hope that sits fine with you.

bro, i nv reject bad comments, and i dun delete or close threat, but i just dun like ppl talk a lot and cannot show good work. It won't help. It won't help both the viewers of the photographer.

I though CS is a place to sharing and learning.... I still respect Mr. Royal Cheese for his comments. I normally don't add title or description to my photos, I let the photo speak by itself. If the photos can't speak then I should junk it and shoot a better one.

Hi Dannyfoxy,

CS is indeed a place to learn. And part of the learning curve is also receiving harsh critics. But I think one can learn faster from open and direct feedback.

I suggest 2 things to take away for the new year.

1. Go and shoot more. Enjoy the hobby with the gear you got.

2. We all learn from comments and even sharp critics.

Well, I hope you have a good time shooting more pictures. THough this series of pictures may not be good, it does not matter so long as you learnt something.

As mentioned by other forummers, not everyone bothers to give you comments and feedback.

Cheers
Moby

So, can I have comment on the photos? No on the chest or hip shot? :devil:

Er..

My personal honest opinion is that the pictures have no mood or feel, they look just like random snap shots.

Shooting B&W isn't just about setting the camera to gray scale or converting the pictures to gray scale in any photo editing software. Its really a lot more than that.

At the start is seems quite hard to compose pictures for street due to its fast moving nature but with more practice you will get the hang of it.

My camera has no build in metering, aperture, shutter & focusing is completely manual. I used to struggle with it at the start but currently I'm able to composure, frame & do exposure at the same time. Just a lot of practice goes a long way.

Shooting street isnt just about just having people in the picture. Its about how they stand out in the environment, what makes them so special, I would wanna take their picture, how in contrast the subject is to the environment around him etc.

Its up to the photographer to make the split second decision on how to frame & compose the picture to showcase to the audience his view behind the lens.

For me, I love being up close. My lens choices are prime 35mm or 50mm. 35mm is my hot favorite.
You can see from the picture, my reflection on how close I get:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/5290184315/

Try not to shoot pictures without looking through the VF. Why try a 50/50 hit & run method when you can get a proper good well composed shot by looking through the VF?

Thats my humble opinion, just take it with a pinch of salt as I'm a noob in street shooting as well ;)

Last edited:
Er..

My personal honest opinion is that the pictures have no mood or feel, they look just like random snap shots.

Shooting B&W isn't just about setting the camera to gray scale or converting the pictures to gray scale in any photo editing software. Its really a lot more than that.

At the start is seems quite hard to compose pictures for street due to its fast moving nature but with more practice you will get the hang of it.

My camera has no build in metering, aperture, shutter & focusing is completely manual. I used to struggle with it at the start but currently I'm able to composure, frame & do exposure at the same time. Just a lot of practice goes a long way.

Shooting street isnt just about just having people in the picture. Its about how they stand out in the environment, what makes them so special, I would wanna take their picture, how in contrast the subject is to the environment around him etc.

Its up to the photographer to make the split second decision on how to frame & compose the picture to showcase to the audience his view behind the lens.

For me, I love being up close. My lens choices are prime 35mm or 50mm. 35mm is my hot favorite.

Try not to shoot pictures without looking through the VF. Why try a 50/50 hit & run method when you can get a proper good well composed shot by looking through the VF?

Thats my humble opinion, just take it with a pinch of salt as I'm a noob in street shooting as well ;)

hi,

Firstly wish u a happy new Year!!
Do you mind sharing why did u took this photo
as in, what are you trying to show, thanks:)

Er..

i agree with wat GWC says. shooting street is not easy. sometimes i feel paiseh to shoot ppl on the streets if too close, feel they will wallop me. but those hit and run shots turn out quite meaningless after i develop them :cry:

these days as i walk around, even though i may not bring my camera out, i also look around more to see anything interesting and train myself how i can visualise some shots :p

guess practise makes perfect? cheers... i am no expert but lets enjoy and shoot more to improve :)

Here's my comments. The photos like everyone said, looks like snapshots. You pretty much shot just for the sake of shooting. And all you pretty much do is just get a person in the picture regardless of what he/she is doing and snap. That isn't street photography.
Street photography is telling a story of a random person through a picture.

Be selective about your subject. Wait for the proper moment. Judge by the rate, you'll probably have 10000 pictures if you went to Orchard Road.

And PLEASE! Listen to people's comments and don't give excuses such as this person doesn't have a good picture so he can't critique my work. Who are you to judge that this person's work is so crap that he can't judge your picture? It's pretty snobbish of you.

It's like food. Unless you are Gordon Ramsey, you definitely can't make any comments about anyone's cooking then?

Photography is aesthetic. People CAN see what's good and bad regardless of how well he/she can shoot or not.