black out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
junyang said:
lol

so the cause of the problems is the mats over there @ indon. heh. malays :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Hi Junyang,

Please be aware that the whole world read what you have written....
As like what WolfGang have already wrote.......
If you are not sure of what to say i.e with multiple :dunno: then please keep these remarks to your self....

rgds,
sulhan

Illuminated by lights of passing vehicles... part of AMK Ave 3

30756082.jpg

Lasted less than 30 min here, but damn SCV did not come up till this morning.

One of the few "lucky" blocks in the Bukit Batok area to be hit and lasted about 1.5 hours.

Just goes to show terrorists dun even have to target Singapore to bring us down...

ST1100 said:
i walked down the stairs of my block. The lifts were lit and open, though not operating. i think they designed it with enough backup juice to bring lift to the next landing (and open the door) in an outage. That's a comfort. (Note: that's MY block - YMMV. :D)
Yup each lift has its own battery-powered backup generator which kicks in if the power fails. The lift is programmed to use this power to go down to the nearest lift landing and open its doors. The doors will remain open to prevent ppl from using the lift until power is restored. It can power the fan and lights for at least 3-4 hrs I think.

But I think some ppl were still trapped in the lifts. ST reports that CD received more than 20 calls to rescue ppl trapped in lifts.

Garion said:
Yup each lift has its own battery-powered backup generator which kicks in if the power fails. The lift is programmed to use this power to go down to the nearest lift landing and open its doors. The doors will remain open to prevent ppl from using the lift until power is restored. It can power the fan and lights for at least 3-4 hrs I think.

But I think some ppl were still trapped in the lifts. ST reports that CD received more than 20 calls to rescue ppl trapped in lifts.

why then are people still trapped in lifts?

oeyvind said:
Gosh, sorry for those ppl stuck in lift....

http://sg.search.news.yahoo.com/search/news_sg_pf?p=ukey:6036567

Think this is the 1st time I kena blackout in this part of the world... the last blackout I experienced was the rolling blackout a few years ago in Sunnyvale (then it happened only in the day).

don't they had a spare key and at least a master key.

edwgoh said:
The blackout has surged my TV, now I can only see green image, can I ask PUB for compensation :cry:

Hey... happened to my TV too... :confused: Does dat mean I have 2 get a new one??? :D

Haha...

I tell u la... my story best... i was happily surfing and PSing when i decided to click on the Kopitiam Forum... after which I saw the BLACKOUT thread..

Then as i clicked it, my internet died! haha.... Think the Cable substation thing also kena no power... haha...

Then i was like... Champion liao lor..=)

Haha... ok sorry for all the lahs, lehs, and lors... I think these kinda stories are best told with a generous dose of Singlish ( and in the Army, Hokkien vulgarities!

reachme2003 said:
No big deal. It is timely for them to seriously consider our dependency on our neighbours. Water, natural gas, rice, flour,etc

On a more serious note, it exposes our vulnerability. It also exposes how Singaporeans react to emergencies. Civil Defence needs to seriously educate us on how to respond positively in such situation. Wonder how many families have stock up on essential items eg batteries, candles, matches, batteries powered radio, readily cooked foods, water, etc ?

Jamming up 999 hotlines ??? Leave them alone for other emergencies which are likely to occur in a prolonged blackout situation eg. people trapped in lifts, road accidents, increased fire risks, etc

ST today reported Ivy Singh's remarks "I cant believe this". Such remarks demonstrate the typical Singaporean's reactions. It does not help the situation at all.

With regards to power faliure of this sort, its unneccessary to call police or CD.

Can inform the EMSU, they have access to ALL HDB blocks in Singapore. Except certain area under different political party.

How many of you ever remember the number at you lift lobby?

Different sectors in Singapore will have a number to call. How ever there are 2 such number, both are call EMSU
emergency/essential maintenance service unit.

1800-275-5555 or 1800-354-3333

These are 24 hours manned contact centre. These personnels are train to handle situation such as
1)MANTRAP - man trap in lift
2)Minor Pwr failure
3)Plumbing/sewerage problem.
4)Conservancy/cleaning issues
5)They have contact numbers to ALL other emergency services.

Or visit this link to understand more.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/ISOA040p.nsf/...2982358d29e6206b48256a3a0033ded0?OpenDocument

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/ISOA040p.nsf/...46effa621289344048256a3a0033ded1?OpenDocument

Aton said:
With regards to power faliure of this sort, its unneccessary to call police or CD.

Can inform the EMSU, they have access to ALL HDB blocks in Singapore. Except certain area under different political party.

How many of you ever remember the number at you lift lobby?

Different sectors in Singapore will have a number to call. How ever there are 2 such number, both are call EMSU
emergency/essential maintenance service unit.

1800-275-5555 or 1800-354-3333

These are 24 hours manned contact centre. These personnels are train to handle situation such as
1)MANTRAP - man trap in lift
2)Minor Pwr failure
3)Plumbing/sewerage problem.
4)Conservancy/cleaning issues
5)They have contact numbers to ALL other emergency services.

Or visit this link to understand more.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/ISOA040p.nsf/...2982358d29e6206b48256a3a0033ded0?OpenDocument

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/ISOA040p.nsf/...46effa621289344048256a3a0033ded1?OpenDocument

i didn't know got this...
my colleague keep on calling 995 to tell them...
'hello, some1 kenda trap inside the lift"

but of course didn't get thru' :sweatsm:

therat said:
i didn't know got this...
my colleague keep on calling 995 to tell them...
'hello, some1 kenda trap inside the lift"

but of course didn't get thru' :sweatsm:

Actually all the lifts that are down, instantly sent a signal to these centre. So even before the person call any number, the centres should have received the signals.

I heard there were around 200 over mantrap last night, most were rescue by lift maintenance unit from Town Councils. They were most likely to be activated by the EMSU.

A asked B, "Where do you stay?"

B answered, "Pinnical@Duxton (wrong spelling i know)... The new one you know? With the modern bridge in the middle."

A was impressed.

"Which floor do you stay then," asked A.

"50th floor." B said proudly.

A said, "Congrats. There was a blackout."

:sweatsm: :sweat:

Ever wondered if Joo Chiat was affected? If so, for once there's peace there. Spotlights will not be working.

Zheng Jia Luo Jiang Zheng Jia blah blah blah - remember that?
:blah:

last time when i was in kindergarten my fanily went to my grandma house. then on the way there we got stuck in the lift. at night. after like 1 hour then we saw some rescue guys pry open the lift door. but the lift itself had stopped at a lower alignment position w.r.t. the actual doorspace in the wall...ie when the lift door was pried open, all i saw was a brickwall all the way up until a fairly small opening at the top. when it was my turn to go, my father carried me up and at same time the rescue guys grabbed me by the hands. the opening was just wide enuff for us to crawl thru...when my waist was thru the opening, i was thinking what if the lift suddenly moved downwards...then probably i would end up like darth maul (when he got sliced into half by obi wan during star wars Eps 1) :sweat: :bsmilie:

clive said:
last time when i was in kindergarten my fanily went to my grandma house. then on the way there we got stuck in the lift. at night. after like 1 hour then we saw some rescue guys pry open the lift door. but the lift itself had stopped at a lower alignment position w.r.t. the actual doorspace in the wall...ie when the lift door was pried open, all i saw was a brickwall all the way up until a fairly small opening at the top. when it was my turn to go, my father carried me up and at same time the rescue guys grabbed me by the hands. the opening was just wide enuff for us to crawl thru...when my waist was thru the opening, i was thinking what if the lift suddenly moved downwards...then probably i would end up like darth maul (when he got sliced into half by obi wan during star wars Eps 1) :sweat: :bsmilie:

really :sweat:

But think they have changed the rescue procedure since.
Lifts should be levelled with the landing before the internal and external landing door can be opened.

If all back-up systems failed, there is still a crank at the lift motor room right at the roof top.

one rescuer will go up to manually wind the lift to the nearest landing. Imagine if its the older type lift.......level 1, 6, 11

you guys should have seen the confusion at a traffic light in Bedok man... everybody was :dunno: or :angry: or :mad2: or just simply blowing up :rbounce: , wished I got my cam with me, ;p

heheheheheh...

yocoolboy said:
A asked B, "Where do you stay?"

B answered, "Pinnical@Duxton (wrong spelling i know)... The new one you know? With the modern bridge in the middle."

A was impressed.

"Which floor do you stay then," asked A.

"50th floor." B said proudly.

A said, "Congrats. There was a blackout."

:sweatsm: :sweat:

Ever wondered if Joo Chiat was affected? If so, for once there's peace there. Spotlights will not be working.

Zheng Jia Luo Jiang Zheng Jia blah blah blah - remember that?
:blah:

Ya Joo Chiat bo lights too.. maybe they willl take the chance to throw stuff into each other's house instead ;)
kekekekeke

Status
Not open for further replies.