black out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lytefunk said:
"stated" cause on channel news asia is that there is a disruption of natural gas from Indonesia....

Is a gas disruption going to kill us??? Don't we have redundant systems? or storage/reserves?

Yeap. I think Singapore will be in deep **** when all these resources are taken away from us. Streets were dark & there was an orgy at the cross junction of paya lebar road.

River Valley blacked out too.. Was in the middle of transferring files.. Alone at home somemore.. *freaked out*

Tried not to let my eyes wander around too much in the dark.. Finally found 3 torchlights with no batts.. :what:

Ended up with three little candles (after much fumbling around in the darkness, still trying not to let eyes wander around too much)..

Lights finally came back on after the longest time.. And then everyone decides to come home.. (@*$&*&#^$*&^$

Starhub down.. No internet connection for an even longer time.. Gave up.. Went out instead to pass my time (I cannot live without internet)..

Got caught in the #*&kîng rain, on the bike, on my way home.. :what: :what: :what:

And now my air con has mysteriously decided to die on me. It just stopped working.

Yes. I had a great day.

Hope you guys had it much better than me..

*go find people to kill*

hollland also blacked out :cry: even house phone and hand phone cannot call out, but people can call in my house phone.... heng at least sms works :sweat:

VampTreSS said:
River Valley blacked out too.. Was in the middle of transferring files.. Alone at home somemore.. *freaked out*

Tried not to let my eyes wander around too much in the dark.. Finally found 3 torchlights with no batts.. :what:

Ended up with three little candles (after much fumbling around in the darkness, still trying not to let eyes wander around too much)..

Lights finally came back on after the longest time.. And then everyone decides to come home.. (@*$&*&#^$*&^$

Starhub down.. No internet connection for an even longer time.. Gave up.. Went out instead to pass my time (I cannot live without internet)..

Got caught in the #*&kîng rain, on the bike, on my way home..

And now my air con has mysteriously decided to die on me. It just stopped working.

Yes. I had a great day.

Hope you guys had it much better than me..

*go find people to kill*
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

adsl is working almost immediately after the blackout comes back

No water from Malaysia, build newater plants. No electricity from Indonesia, use sewage to build methane gas power plants and solar cells on top of all HDB buildings.

yoyoyoyo guys!! judging from the areas mentioned thast were affected last night, i think i am quite lucky to have survived the entire black out situation. :sweat: my bunk's in SERANGOON RD, Race course. surprisingly, all the estates (eg. hougang + macpherson) surrounding mine all kenna blackout but mine never kenna leh! hahahaha.... lucky sia....if not cannot watch 'wo cai, wo cai, wo cai cai cai!!!' wahahahaha.... :bsmilie:

btw, anybody watched not? alot of chiobus :lovegrin: last nite.... :devil:

junyang said:
lol

so the cause of the problems is the mats over there @ indon. heh. malays :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

don get too finger pointing manz. it's just a blackout. please think twice before you post remarks like these thank you.

evildolly said:
hollland also blacked out :cry: even house phone and hand phone cannot call out, but people can call in my house phone.... heng at least sms works :sweat:
dolly...u also stay at holland rd area ar? :D

lytefunk said:
"stated" cause on channel news asia is that there is a disruption of natural gas from Indonesia....

Is a gas disruption going to kill us??? Don't we have redundant systems? or storage/reserves?

from a power generation, transmission and distribution point of view:

there are backup generators connected to the power grid. these generators were started up in emergencies. generators have to build up their turbine rotating speed before any electricity is produced. connecting a generator to a power grid is tricky business. you have to synchronise the line voltages and voltage phase angle.

it's only natural that the GenCos can resupply you with power only after a certain reaction time.
electrical power cannot be stored in huge quantity.

skfoo said:
For the first time, I am travelling through a cross junction with traffic coming from all directions! :sweat:

After climbing 11 storey, the power came back. During the black-out even the handphones (mine and others around me) has NIL signal. Strange! :dunno:

From Serangoon North.

NIL signal cos the cell phone base station is switched off from the power outrage

charvy said:
wonder if the NEL is affected.. i mean ppl stuck in the train with no lights..

NEL has their own power substation and emergency power generating systems

AReality said:
None here also.
NTU

NTU wasn't affected. I was at Hall 12 for orientation dance prac. drove home then saw no street lights on PIE

wondering will minister place, house kenda blackout.....

What happen if Istana is holding a party or dinner for some1 very di BIG shot...
then in the middle of 'yang seng', black black black... :bsmilie:

can't imagine... :bsmilie: :blah:

Eh, how come AMK area didn't affected? :dunno:

Anyway, i'm quite amused with some ppl who panicked & hog the emergency lines...I hope they could keep calm & dun anyhow think its terrorists...:rolleyes:

i walked down the stairs of my block. The lifts were lit and open, though not operating. i think they designed it with enough backup juice to bring lift to the next landing (and open the door) in an outage. That's a comfort. (Note: that's MY block - YMMV. :D)

In all this, did anyone noticed the wonderful numerous stars in the darken night skies? :)

The blackout has surged my TV, now I can only see green image, can I ask PUB for compensation :cry:

Lenscapes said:
In all this, did anyone noticed the wonderful numerous stars in the darken night skies? :)

er... the moon was bright.. cant see stars

therat said:

What happen if Istana is holding a party or dinner for some1 very di BIG shot...

Such places will have emergency generators for such situations, so they don't have to worry. Many of the public facilities' emergency generators would have kicked in last night. Would be a good test to see if the contingency provisions and ops plans worked.

Facilities such as hospitals would have their 100% backup supplies to critical rooms like Operation theatres and so on, so that such blackouts do not cause risk to any life.

therat said:

No big deal. It is timely for them to seriously consider our dependency on our neighbours. Water, natural gas, rice, flour,etc

On a more serious note, it exposes our vulnerability. It also exposes how Singaporeans react to emergencies. Civil Defence needs to seriously educate us on how to respond positively in such situation. Wonder how many families have stock up on essential items eg batteries, candles, matches, batteries powered radio, readily cooked foods, water, etc ?

Jamming up 999 hotlines ??? Leave them alone for other emergencies which are likely to occur in a prolonged blackout situation eg. people trapped in lifts, road accidents, increased fire risks, etc

ST today reported Ivy Singh's remarks "I cant believe this". Such remarks demonstrate the typical Singaporean's reactions. It does not help the situation at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.