Bimbotic Question #1- Shutter Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
ok #1 meaning i bet theres loads of bimbotic questions coming your way. hahah

i tried the TV mode in my S5 IS , its around 6.30 pm , twilightish sky, not really dark yet quite bright. hmm i used the TV mode to ge that silky smooth waters at pasir ris beach and what i got was just mega bright results. hmm, my cousin used a fujifilm 6500fd and also get this annoying bright results.

i've read this somewhere bout some settings but i cannot recall. please help me out. any sites or tutorials to avoid that?

is it the exposure , ISO perhaps?

tried to go minimum on exposure still very very bright. argh

ok #1 meaning i bet theres loads of bimbotic questions coming your way. hahah

i tried the TV mode in my S5 IS , its around 6.30 pm , twilightish sky, not really dark yet quite bright. hmm i used the TV mode to ge that silky smooth waters at pasir ris beach and what i got was just mega bright results. hmm, my cousin used a fujifilm 6500fd and also get this annoying bright results.

i've read this somewhere bout some settings but i cannot recall. please help me out. any sites or tutorials to avoid that?

is it the exposure , ISO perhaps?

tried to go minimum on exposure still very very bright. argh

If you want to upgrade yourself from a "bimbotic" to a photographer you can start here. Learn the basics about photography, read and understand your camera manual. Otherwise you will not understand any advice given to you.

do you understand exposure?

the analogy someone used a while back comes to mind, it is very easy.

having correct exposure is like filling up a container of water. the camera is the channel where the water is from.

iso speed is speed of water, shutter speed is length the water channel is open, aperture is the diameter of the water channel.

they are all linked to other things as well, iso has a relation with noise (which can be used to your advantage), shutter speed has relation to amount of motion, aperture has relation to depth of field. the basics are important and key to achieving what you want. you should not just shoot and hope that you get what you want. life doesn't work that way.

I agree with the importance of knowing the basics.

That said, I usually use the M mode, lowest ISO setting, smallest aperture my camera can have, and the lowest shutter speed combo that yields the right exposure. You'd need a tripod for that. And sometimes it's just too bright for my camera, so bo bian, cannot take such shots. The only way round is to use ND filters to darken your scene. As to what grade of ND filters to use, that's really up to you... and the scene, of course.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.