Bicycle Race - Individual Time Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulu29

Jan 31, 2007
The Individual Time Trial (ITT) is a bicycle race where riders are not allowed to draft each other, they leave the starting line one at a time at 1 to 2 min intervals and the rider with the shortest course time wins. A typical time trial course is usually flat, mostly straights with long sweeping curves and the emphasis on riding on a time trial is aero-dynamics, which is why rides usually adopts a low, tucked position, keeping frontal surface area to a minimum and using the lightest equipment possible.

This ITT was held on 30 March 2008, at Changi Coast Road, as part of a 4 race series organised by ANZA cycling club and SACA (Singapore Amatuer Cycling Association). A team time trial (TTT) will be held this month at the same location.

I took this photo at around 8am, rider is doing roughly 40KM/hr. I was using Canon EOS 350D with Tamron 70~300mm f4/5.6. ISO: 400, Shutter: 1/125 sec, Aperture: f/8.0, Focal Length: 145mm. Picture was shot in JPG and post process I put an S-curve and unsharp mask filter on it.

IMG_7087.JPG

Personally I like the panning, capturing the speed of the rider, and the way the rider is looking up and concentrating. If I can get some tips on improving my shots (everything from equipment, techinque, post-processing) I will be very grateful

Cheers!

Oops, should be ok now

dun realli know much about shots like this.. but i realise that the colour of the road is like very bright for normal tarred road.. give an impression that the bicycle is "floating" a bit.. ha.. maybe cyclist going too fast? lol.. =)

dun realli know much about shots like this.. but i realise that the colour of the road is like very bright for normal tarred road.. give an impression that the bicycle is "floating" a bit.. ha.. maybe cyclist going too fast? lol.. =)

Hi there, thanks for stopping by. Could it be I post processed too much? Hows the rest of the saturation or contrast look? One thing that bothers me when doing post processing for photos to be uploaded to the web is how it will look when displayed on other ppl's computer, is there a proper way to do it?

A slightly lower shooting perspective may work better.

A slightly lower shooting perspective may work better.

Hi thanks, I will try that for the next race.

clear off the white stone at the cap end. Distracting:)

100 marks for the detailed explanation

5 marks for the picture.

Why? - there is simply not enough movement, you cant expect to pan properly with 1/125s, a VERY ROUGH guideline will be 1 over km/h which will roughly translate to 1/40 TOPS. Step out of your flat, go to the hdb carpark and snap a couple with this in your mind. Worth a try.

100 marks for the detailed explanation

5 marks for the picture.

Why? - there is simply not enough movement, you cant expect to pan properly with 1/125s, a VERY ROUGH guideline will be 1 over km/h which will roughly translate to 1/40 TOPS. Step out of your flat, go to the hdb carpark and snap a couple with this in your mind. Worth a try.

Really? Wow, I didn't know that. But how do you keep your hands stable enough (I was hand holding it at around 150mm focal length)? But I shall try it. Thanks for your suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.