Better alternatives to the Wimberley tripod plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I've been using the Wimberley tripod plate for some time and wonder if anyone has any recommendation for a better brand whose surface is not so rough?

The Wimberley plate is so rough that the bottom plastic and rubber surfaces of my camera has many tiny "indentations" or "holes" caused by the plate when I tighten it.

Ok, this may be a non-issue to some but I was wondering if there are plates with smoother surfaces, why not.

Do other tripod plates also has this issue?

Thanks.

I thought Wimberley plates have a rubberised material on their quick release plates? Did you try Markins?

They call the material "rubber" as is described here:

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/camera-body-main.cfm

But it so coarse and rough (you can easily tell even from the picture) that it leaves behind unsightlly marks at the camera bottom.

Aren't there any other better surfaces which can grip the cam to the plate?

I haven't tried Markins.... will check it out. Thanks.

Any other opinions please do chip in!:thumbsup:

An alternative, if you're not adverse to tape, is to either stick some gaffer to the bottom of your camera, or the top of the plate, but I suspect the cam bottom would work better.

Markins camera plates are good and they have a big selection to fit each cam at reasonable price.

They call the material "rubber" as is described here:

http://www.tripodhead.com/products/camera-body-main.cfm

But it so coarse and rough (you can easily tell even from the picture) that it leaves behind unsightlly marks at the camera bottom.

Aren't there any other better surfaces which can grip the cam to the plate?

I haven't tried Markins.... will check it out. Thanks.

Any other opinions please do chip in!:thumbsup:

I use Markins for my setup and hence no experience with other brands (except a few which I have tried from my friends). I've used the generic quick release plate from Benro and it was not that bad. I'm pretty comfortable with Markins as they fit like a glove ;)

Acratech ones seems to be free of rough surface too.

Thanks Guys... Do you know where I can buy the Markins or Acratech plates? Seems like the local stores don't have them. And that's why I eneded up with the Wimberley in the past. :(

Did you all order from overseas?

Thanks again. :):thumbsup:

I bought mine from CP @ Peninsula Plaza. Why not give them a visit. They carry a wider range of all premium brands.

Thanks Guys... Do you know where I can buy the Markins or Acratech plates? Seems like the local stores don't have them. And that's why I eneded up with the Wimberley in the past. :(

Did you all order from overseas?

Thanks again. :):thumbsup:

The little ad on top of your this page sometimes post acratech products. :)

http://shop.phototoolkit.com/sg/acratech/qr-camera-plates.html

actually for lens plate, if there is any which have the stopper for the lens, it shd work well isnt it?

as for camera plate for specific body, I recommend Arcatech... got 1 from them, work very well...

Status
Not open for further replies.