beginner looking for a wide angle lens. advice needed !!

Kenny Neo

Apr 16, 2011
keen to do landscape and building photography, it seems like my normal 18-55mm and 50-250mm cant do any justice for the angle as it is too narrow..

need help from seniors here whom can recommend me a good set of starter wide angle lens or prolly explain to me the differences .

help is much appreciated . many thanks !

keen to do landscape and building photography, it seems like my normal 18-55mm and 50-250mm cant do any justice for the angle as it is too narrow..

need help from seniors here whom can recommend me a good set of starter wide angle lens or prolly explain to me the differences .

help is much appreciated . many thanks !

focal length affects the Angle of View. wide angle lenses give a wider Angle of View so that more can be seen. zoom lenses at the telephoto end have a narrower angle of view so what you see is a tightly cropped background.

wide angle lenses also have little to much distortion, while at certain focal lengths (e.g. 50mm) will give you the same perspective as what your eyes see.

taken from wikipedia Angle of View
Focal_length.jpg

so for places with lack of space to maneuver to get the landscape shot, wide angle lenses will come in handy.

btw, what system are you using? that will determine what wide angle lens to recommend you rather than everyone specifying lenses for their own brands

Last edited:
wow !! thats handy !! ohh i am using a 550D bro , what do u recommend ??

wow !! thats handy !! ohh i am using a 550D bro , what do u recommend ??

For UWA, there are quite some options available. Consider the following. (not in any specific order)
- EF-S10-22 (~1.1k)
- Sigma 10-20 (~750)
- Tokina 12-24 (~750)
- Tokina 11-16 (~?)

There are alot fans for the UWAs listed above.

Thou not really a UWA, but can consider 15-85 also if the 15mm is wide enough.

Shahmatt said:
If you look at this website: http://www.syopt.co.kr/

under "interchangeable lenses", a 14mm wide angle prime lens is available for the Canon EOS mount.

This might be a good option.

Good lens for landscape but terrible for architecture. And it is not an easy lens to use. Not recommended for people new to photography.

And that lens only makes sense for full frame cams. Non FF cam users should look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Good value lens though.

14mm x 1.5 CF = 21mm effective field of view, which is not so bad. Barrel distortion is also fairly well controlled according to reviews given the type of lens. :)

skystrike : how come the vast difference in prices btw canon and tokina and sigma lenses ??? are there any much difference ? and what are the difference ??

i was intending to go for the 10-20mm ..what do u guys think ...??

dare devil : non-ff users should b recommended for which model ??

thanks so much for the replies !!

Kenny Neo said:
dare devil : non-ff users should b recommended for which model ??

thanks so much for the replies !!

I would say the 11-16 is a pretty good choice for cropped sensors

spree86 : how do u determine if its good for cropped sensors ??? whats the formula behind that ?? i must x1.5 isit ?

oh ya !! btw does f value affects the shot ??

Kenny Neo said:
spree86 : how do u determine if its good for cropped sensors ??? whats the formula behind that ?? i must x1.5 isit ?

To get the field of view you should multiply by 1.6 since you are using a Canon. 11-16 should be wide enough for cropped and further more its made for a cropped sensor. The distortion is also quite well controlled.

Shahmatt said:
Yes, the 550D uses an APS-C sensor which means all numbers get multiplied by 1.5.

The Samyang 14mm/F2.8 is about 700SGD I think.

1.6X since it's Canon

skystrike : how come the vast difference in prices btw canon and tokina and sigma lenses ??? are there any much difference ? and what are the difference ??

i was intending to go for the 10-20mm ..what do u guys think ...??

Canon vs 3rd party price difference lies mainly in the branding and in terms of R&D cost since some 3rd party does not do the R&D themselves. But some 3rd party UWA not listed here (e.g. Sigma 8-16) is as expensive (if not more) than the Canon. All lens have their own strength and weakness.

U gotta read the reviews of individual lens and make this decision... but just keep this in mind, if you can't notice the difference between the lens when you try it out, get the cheapest one.

Last edited:
i see !! thanks guys for all these valuable info !!

Highest F-stop of a lens do matters, depends how you look at it.

If I want the entire frame to be in focus, it doesn't becos you will shoot at F/8 or smaller F-stop.

If you want to isolate a subject in frame to be focus while blurring everything else out, the bigger the f-stop being available, the easier u can achieve your shot.

There is a "sweet" spot for F stop also. Doesn't mean one should shoot at the smallest aperture always. Generally F8-16 are pretty good

Shahmatt said:
Yes, the 550D uses an APS-C sensor which means all numbers get multiplied by 1.5.

The Samyang 14mm/F2.8 is about 700SGD I think.

Canon APS-C is 1.6x crop factor.

And samyang 14/2.8 cost around 580.