Bed Bugs at Harris Hotel Batam Centre

encounter this during my army time,

carry the bed down to carpark put under hot sun for the whole day.
Someone once complained of bed bugs during my time as a NSF in an active unit.

"Standby Universe" (along with bed frames / mattresses and metal cabinets basically everything at parade square for inspection) next 3 days for the entire company, turnouts at 0700 hours, 1200 hours, 1700 hours respectively with multiple repeats due to people dragging furnitures.

Someone once complained of bed bugs in my NSmen unit during ICT.

Deputy Camp Commandant came and apologise to us, moved us to regular officer's bunks and contacted pest controller for fumigation ASAP.

Last edited:
on bed bugs:

All bed bugs mate by traumatic insemination.[4][23] Female bed bugs possess a reproductive tract that functions during oviposition, but the male does not use this tract for sperm insemination.[4] Instead, the male pierces the female's abdomen with his hypodermic genitalia and ejaculates into the body cavity. In all bed bug species except Primicimex cavernis, sperm are injected into the mesospermalege,[4] a component of the spermalege,[4] a secondary genital structure that reduces the wounding and immunological costs of traumatic insemination.[24][25][26] Injected sperm travel via the haemolymph (blood) to sperm storage structures called seminal conceptacles, with fertilisation eventually taking place at the ovaries.[25]
Male bed bugs sometimes attempt to mate with other males and pierce the latter in the abdomen.[27] This behaviour occurs because sexual attraction in bed bugs is based primarily on size, and males will mount any freshly fed partner regardless of sex.[28] The "bed bug alarm pheromone" consists of (E)-2-octenal and (E)-2-hexenal. It is released when a bed bug is disturbed, as during an attack by a predator. A 2009 study demonstrated the alarm pheromone is also released by male bed bugs to repel other males who attempt to mate with them.[26]

violent...

:bsmilie:

they might have been trying to mate with you

:bsmilie:

Someone once complained of bed bugs during my time as a NSF in an active unit.

"Standby Universe" (along with bed frames / mattresses and metal cabinets basically everything at parade square for inspection) next 3 days for the entire company, turnouts at 0700 hours, 1200 hours, 1700 hours respectively with multiple repeats due to people dragging furnitures.

Someone once complained of bed bugs in my NSmen unit during ICT.

Deputy Camp Commandant came and apologise to us, moved us to regular officer's bunks and contacted pest controller for fumigation ASAP.
different time, different treatment. ;(

the most disturbing thing is that bed bugs belongs to spider family. i love spiders .

now i am conflicted

I stayed at Harris Hotel Batam centre recently and was bitten by bed bugs.
Managed to kill a few bugs. The freshly bitten blood actually spilled on the bedsheet and on the ledge which I placed them on.
The duty manager at Harris hotel was shown the condition in the room.

The itch was horrible and lasted for days.
My belongings were damaged when I try to de-pest my stuff with hot water.

Hotel refuse to take responsibility. Any suggestion on what I can do?

Rub Tiger Balm all over the body except between legs for obvious reasons.

Bed bugs will run to the other rooms to bite.

I stayed at Harris Hotel Batam centre recently and was bitten by bed bugs.
Managed to kill a few bugs. The freshly bitten blood actually spilled on the bedsheet and on the ledge which I placed them on.
The duty manager at Harris hotel was shown the condition in the room.

The itch was horrible and lasted for days.
My belongings were damaged when I try to de-pest my stuff with hot water.

Hotel refuse to take responsibility. Any suggestion on what I can do?

You can give feedback to the hotel.

How long were you there? I thought people usually only discover bed bug bites a while after, from my reading when worrying about bringing this problem home after travels. It shouldn't surface immediately? Are you sure those were bedbugs? I've never kena before though, so this is really just based on online descriptions when trying to find out how to detect bedbugs.

To be fair, it seems that bedbugs are an escalating problem and sometimes the hotels won't even know until they get feedback from customers. It could well be that the bedbugs came from one of the incoming customers and multiplied after. What did the hotel do thereafter, did they change your room?

It seems to me that the damage of belongings using hot water is your own doing, and in my view, you should not blame the hotel for that part. Cheers.

Last edited:
Ah bed bugs... annoying things, I got it few times from travelling around. For my case, the bugs came complimentary from airlines, SQ, Airasia, Jetstar, all same, when my luggage are mix with others inside the plane stomach.

Some characteristics of bed bugs I experimented myself, and through reading in the internet.
1. They bite mostly at night. So you will notice it after you wake up. Sometime during sleep when they bite too hard, I woke up and accidentally kill them, leave small blood trails on the bed.
2. Their bite come in 3-in-1 package, call "breakfast-lunch-dinner set meal". The 3 "bumps" will appear in a straight line, following your blood vessel, few cm apart. I got it few times in different case, most of the time it appear to be 3-in-1 package.
3. If you bring it back to your house, good luck, your whole house get it, all get it if one of us went travelling and bring back the bugs in the luggage.
4. The bite are not harmful or infectious according to few websites, just cause itchiness.
5. Very hard to kill, sun is the best weapon, but only for landed house people. I spray half a can of pesticide in my room to kill it totally. They sleep at the edge your mattress, or around the slits at your bed. You can look for them in the morning, they mostly sleeping, take some macro shots and post for us ;).

Just wondering.
If the previous tourist at the same room in Harris Hotel Batam Centre, had full blown Aids, was bitten by these bed bugs that ingest his/her Aids infected blood. The tourist checked out and left.
Then a few hours later on the same day, you checked into the hotel and was assigned this room. Now the bed bugs bite you.
Any germs/virus that it may be carrying goes into your blood stream.
As your photo showed, lots of blood.
Theoretically can a person be re-infected/transmitted with HIV virus through bed bug bites?
Guess answer is no. Since that would be a known issue by now if it can be transmitted this way.

But even so, other things can be spread by bites from pests, bed bugs, fleas, etc...

Guess that was how bubonic plague (a.k.a Black Death) was spread through bites by infected fleas that were on rodents.
So watch out even if Aids cannot be transmitted this way by bed bugs.

This case is obviously not bubonic plague. But what if it was something else that is nasty.

You were probably not wrong to wipe out your belongings with hot water. In my view, that was not stupid.

You lost the value of the belongings that you cannot claim back from the hotel. But you may have saved yourself, your home and your family members from rampant infection by bed bugs. It would have been very costly to get pest killer company to rid your house of them.
And if the bed bugs can bring some disease infection to your family, then the trouble is potentially much worse.

Don't bring this home.

http://theweek.com/article/index/205392/americas-bedbug-invasion-by-the-numbers

Last edited:
ricohflex said:
Just wondering.
If the previous tourist at the same room in Harris Hotel Batam Centre, had full blown Aids, was bitten by these bed bugs that ingest his/her Aids infected blood. The tourist checked out and left.
Then a few hours later on the same day, you checked into the hotel and was assigned this room. Now the bed bugs bite you.
Theoretically can a person be re-infected/transmitted with HIV virus through bed bug bites?
Guess answer is no. Since that would be a known issue by now if it can be transmitted this way.

But even so, other things can be spread by bites from pests, bed bugs, fleas, etc...

Guess that was how bubonic plague (a.k.a Black Death) was spread through bites by infected fleas that were on rodents.

This case is obviously not bubonic plague. But what if it was something else that is nasty.

You were probably not wrong to wipe out your belongings with hot water. In my view, that was not stupid.

You lost the value of the belongings that you cannot claim back from the hotel. But you may have saved yourself, your home and your family members from rampant infection by bed bugs. It would have been very costly to get pest killer company to rid your house of them.
And if the bed bugs can bring some disease infection to your family, then the trouble is potentially much worse.

Don't bring this home.

http://theweek.com/article/index/205392/americas-bedbug-invasion-by-the-numbers

HIV cannot survive out of the host and in the environment. Only through blood transfusion I.e. direct contact with the infected, will it work. It's not leishmania. It doesn't work that way.

http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/top-10-myths-misconceptions-about-hiv-aids

Educate yourself about the myths and we can lessen unnecessary panic.

HIV cannot survive out of the host and in the environment. Only through blood transfusion I.e. direct contact with the infected, will it work. It's not leishmania. It doesn't work that way.

The Top 10 HIV and AIDS Myths and Misconceptions

Educate yourself about the myths and we can lessen unnecessary panic.

This must be a new level of FUD :bsmilie:
I change my mind about voting for uncle ;p

You can give feedback to the hotel.

How long were you there? I thought people usually only discover bed bug bites a while after, from my reading when worrying about bringing this problem home after travels. It shouldn't surface immediately? Are you sure those were bedbugs? I've never kena before though, so this is really just based on online descriptions when trying to find out how to detect bedbugs.

To be fair, it seems that bedbugs are an escalating problem and sometimes the hotels won't even know until they get feedback from customers. It could well be that the bedbugs came from one of the incoming customers and multiplied after. What did the hotel do thereafter, did they change your room?

It seems to me that the damage of belongings using hot water is your own doing, and in my view, you should not blame the hotel for that part. Cheers.

Sounds like you are working for Harris Hotel.... Take a look at the photo in my link. Search the net and see whether it matches.
When you kill it, blood that it suck from you will spill out.
The duty manager who came up to the room, acknowledged that it is bed bug.
Nothing was done. I bath and checked out.

There is no reason why the bugs were not detected.
1) housekeeping. Changing of bed sheets. 1 of the bug I killed isn't that small. Probably the size of a small beetle.
I believe there are more...
2) pest control. Do you know that hotels have a set of routine pest control practice?

Just wondering.

Don't bring this home.

Whether it's political threads or medical ignorance, you seem to enjoy spreading FUD.

Please do try to educate yourself about things before posting nonsense like this.

Sounds like you are working for Harris Hotel.... Take a look at the photo in my link. Search the net and see whether it matches.
When you kill it, blood that it suck from you will spill out.
The duty manager who came up to the room, acknowledged that it is bed bug.
Nothing was done. I bath and checked out.
Oh here we go again, another one who says that a person, who posts something disagreeable with their opinion of anything, works for that organization. As if only Harris Batam employees would disagree with you. :rolleyes:

I didn't accuse you of working for Harris Batam's competitors, did I? So stop with the silly conspiracy theories, I doubt Harris Batam will have people snooping online to ensure that their Internet street cred is stellar. :rolleyes:

I've never encountered bed bugs before, just trying to find out more so that I can recognise the problem when I encounter it. Merely sharing some of the stuff I've read online (which I stated very clearly as that, not my own opinion). :dunno:

If you google "Bed bugs", you'd probably come across quite a number of articles echoing this article (just posted)'s views: http://finchannel.com/news_flash/Tr...urged_not_to_sweep_bed_bugs_under_the_carpet/

Hotels and guest houses are especially vulnerable to infestations because of the high turnover of occupants.

Last edited: