hi, can anyone tell me the difference between PowerEX 2700 mAh
powerex2700.jpg

& PowerEX 2400 mAh
powerex2400.jpg

on my Canon 430EXII?
- Does it affect the recycle time?
- Does it give a stronger flash?

Thanks =)

PowerEX i think is those normal rechargeable batteries, whereas the Imedions are so call those new generation slow discharge batteries where you can store them for some time and they will still have power when you need to use them. They are like the Eneloop from Sanyo.

Flash power should be decided by the specs of your flash, i think batteries does not affect them but i am not so sure about recycling time.

here's a useful link
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/batteries.htm

If you want to skip the long (but pretty information-packed, and clears many misconceptions about batteries) essay, go for the NiMH batteries. They have the fastest recycling time for flashes. And it's best to fully use up these guys every time, then fully charge them back. Otherwise, Li-ion batteries offer the most number of flashes per charge, but their recycling time is slow

- Does it affect the recycle time?
- Does it give a stronger flash?
1) No. It would affect how many times your flash can be recharged. mAH define the capacity (indirectly, to be precise).
2) Isn't your camera supposed to tell the flash how much light is needed? Please read up about ETTL. The maximum output by the flash is defined by other specs, the batteries have to charge it. Once the pilot light is on there is enough charge for a flash with maximum output.

thanks for the useful links and comments, does it take longer to charge the 2700 mAh than the 2400 mAh?

thanks for the useful links and comments, does it take longer to charge the 2700 mAh than the 2400 mAh?

The "mAh" rating is similar to a car's fuel tank, hence would a 80L fuel tank takes longer to fill up than 60L?

The "mAh" rating is similar to a car's fuel tank, hence would a 80L fuel tank takes longer to fill up than 60L?
Yes, but also because the pump is the same, only pumping so much fuel per minute. But batteries have different charging currents. Higher capacity batteries have higher charging currents, so in the end the charging time can be the same. Need to check the specs of the battery. Newer chargers can detect cell type and capacity and can adjust.
But I' recommend using the 'slow charge' option to reduce the warming up of the batteries during charging.

Last edited:
Yes, but also because the pump is the same, only pumping so much fuel per minute. But batteries have different charging currents. Higher capacity batteries have higher charging currents, so in the end the charging time can be the same. Nest to check the specs of the battery. Newer chargers can detect cell type and capacity and can adjust.
But I' recommend using the 'slow charge' option to reduce the warming up of the batteries during charging.

ok thanks for the info =)