Batteries in flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxbaosxx

Nov 25, 2009
I just bought a new Nissin flash and I was wondering whether the batteries can be put there for a long time. Does anyone know whether they will they leak and damage the flash?
:dunno: My batteries are those cheap ones btw.(no money buy rechargeables.:()

I just bought a new Nissin flash and I was wondering whether the batteries can be put there for a long time. Does anyone know whether they will they leak and damage the flash?
:dunno: My batteries are those cheap ones btw.(no money buy rechargeables.:()
For your information, those cheap alkaline batteries will not last long for you to fire flash.
If you intend to use alkaline, maybe can consider Energizer and Duracell batteries.

Batteries are better to be taken out from your flash unit. ;)

Cheap batteries generally have a higher tendency to leak, discharge faster when not in use, and may not give your flash enough juice when the need arises, and this reduces your effective recycle rate. Over time the replacement cost of these batteries will probably outweigh your initial investment in a good set of rechargeables.

Just think - if you use and discard 4 cheap batteries after a shoot, or even 4 good alkalines like Duracell/ Energizer after 2-3 shoots, how many times can you do that before breaking even with say, 4 Sanyo Eneloops which can be recharged 1000 times. :think:

You can have a read of user experiences on said rechargeables yourself, just do a search on "Sanyo Eneloop" or "Maha PowerEx" in this forum.

Oh and yes please remove your batteries from the flash after shooting. I have had no leaks with my set of rechargeables though, probably good insulation and sealing. :p

For your information, those cheap alkaline batteries will not last long for you to fire flash.
If you intend to use alkaline, maybe can consider Energizer and Duracell batteries.

Batteries are better to be taken out from your flash unit. ;)

Noted. thanks. Taking out the batteries now.

Last edited:
Cheap batteries generally have a higher tendency to leak, discharge faster when not in use, and may not give your flash enough juice when the need arises, and this reduces your effective recycle rate. Over time the replacement cost of these batteries will probably outweigh your initial investment in a good set of rechargeables.

Just think - if you use and discard 4 cheap batteries after a shoot, or even 4 good alkalines like Duracell/ Energizer after 2-3 shoots, how many times can you do that before breaking even with say, 4 Sanyo Eneloops which can be recharged 1000 times. :think:

You can have a read of user experiences on said rechargeables yourself, just do a search on "Sanyo Eneloop" or "Maha PowerEx" in this forum.

Oh and yes please remove your batteries from the flash after shooting. I have had no leaks with my set of rechargeables though, probably good insulation and sealing. :p

Okay i'll keep that in mind. thanks btw:) . Now I have to find some money for rechargables.:sticktong What kind do you recommend?

Last edited:
From the way you are putting, it is unlikely you are a heavy user of the flash. So stay with normal battery and save up. You can figure out the lifespan and usage later.

Do bear in mind that the cheap batteries or even those on sales ones are near expiry and will very likely to leak. So keep them out all the time.

For the rest of the folks, people who has never think about rechargeable AA/AAA batteries will hesitate a lot as the initial price is very high. It is a common hurdle for many which is why trickle payment is often seen a better choice for them.

But once they embarked on it, the outcome is either better utilization or simply becomes another white elephant gathering dust. In the end, it is the equipment utilization pattern.

Whether its a cheap or expensive alkaline battery, it'll leak. Best is to remove them from your flash when you are not using it. Batteries left by itself will also leak in time to come. Its cheaper to buy batteries be it alkaline or rechargeables than to buy a new flash.
If you shoot very often using your flash, get rechargeables. You save in the long run. ;)

Okay i'll keep that in mind. thanks btw:) . Now I have to find some money for rechargables.:sticktong What kind do you recommend?

Erm.. you ask about "what types" as response to a posting that mentioned two brands which are commonly recommended here in the forum. :dunno: Feed the search function with 'battery charger' and you'll get more information. Don't get the cheapest charger. If you save money for rechargeables then do it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.