Batteries can't charge flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

genegoh

Mar 20, 2006
Simei
www.photosbymarbles.com
Got a problem with my Sanyo 2300mAh rechargables.
I'm using them with my Suntax 328DTZ flash. I fully charged the batteries, and used them in my camera just 2 days after that. Upon turning on my flash, it took forever to charge up. My batteries are pretty old. Should be coming to 2 years already, but not used that often.

Is it a battery problem? Are they too old? Using Alkalines is ok, but getting expensive. Anyone with the same flash has similar problems?
Is it cos the total voltage for 4 rechargables is 4.8V compared to 6V for 4 alkalines?

Thanks for any help.

The voltage doesn't really have a big impact cos I'm also using rechargables for my 580EX and so far no probs. You might wanna check the conditinon of the batteries though. ;)

genegoh said:
Can I use back my sanyo 1hr quick charger if I get a new set of batteries?
Can. Should be compatible with all Ni-MH battery.

Regards,
Arto.

Rechargables have a certain lifespan, and they either die due to age or number of charging/discharging cycles. 2 years is considered pretty old for rechargables.

In fact, because of the discharging characteristics of rechargables, they offer better performance for flash (quick charge up) compared to alkalines, but they don't last as long.

Your Sanyo Quick Charger - you may want to research futher how does it detect full charge for the batteries. The cheapest chargers don't use voltage detection etc. but will shut off after a certain pre-determined time - so it may shut off before your large-capacity batteries get fully recharged.

Think my charger is those that detects the voltage, so should be alright.
Anyway I just checked. A set of 4 Powerex 2700mAh batteries cost less than $20. Think I'll just get that. will definitely last longer than 2x12pack energizers which cost $20.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.