Bad experience with Alan Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the cam look used? Wear and tear, accessories packaged opened?

dlee said:
Don't you realize a new marketing strategy is spreading?? Giving same goods with cheaper prices, but no service at all. The choice is yours. Buy from them at the cheapest price, but don't expect any service. Or, buy from others, but more expensive.... :eek:

It's not only AP. It's happening everywhere...

many times, it is lower prices because they quote the selling price of product without batteries or bag or accessories. If you are smart enough to notice some standard accessories or giveaways are not included, they will up the prices if you want them included. So, buyers beware if you want to patronise such shops. If you did not notice, good luck to you when you walked away with the product, thinking you got a 'good' price.

Arrogant service is always included.

I have always disliked Alan Photo. Once i went there and asked to view a lens and the salesman told me out of stock. And i saw the lens right in front of me. Sucks :thumbsd:

I rather buy from CP although they are usually more ex.

seems like the shop is not a gd one to shop for camera afterall....
wonder how they got the award then??
:dunno:

mudsoap said:
as i said, the file numbering should be independent of the memory card, as i have tried formatting card and the filename continues. i believe the only way to restart the filename counter is to reset it.
Why don't you just go to Sony to solve all this guessing for all? Just ask first if all Sony cameras leave the factory with a zero file count, if they don't know, leave your camera behind and ask them to check for you (if they are willing, explain to them your situation and that you have reasons to believe the camera was not new).

You get all these kinds of different explanations here, as it seems to me no one knows EXACTLY how it lies with the file numbering, and you are still here wondering what is going on....... Then let us know what Sony says.....you may even try to contact Sony Japan or USA as they may be even more knowledgeable about this?

As said before it could be due to some one in the past testing the same camera with a used card that had a file no of 9000+ (you installing a formatted card apparently won't change this file numbering), if I understood this correctly.....

Good luck! Now I need to check the shutter count of my Nikon F2 and FE's......any software available?
Hong Sien

mudsoap said:
as i said, the file numbering should be independent of the memory card, as i have tried formatting card and the filename continues. i believe the only way to restart the filename counter is to reset it.

using my 10d as an example, there 2 types of file numbering - continuous and auto reset. for auto reset, the sequence number is reset to 0 when formatting the cf card. for continuous, formatting does not affect the number.

i think from the start, my case is to find out whether the filename has any issue with shutter count, as i was worried from seeing 9000+ . after which, as some of the posts mentioned it's not an problem with digi cams. also madmacs mentioned, there's no guarantee that the cam leaves the factory with '0'.

if this is not mentioned, then i guess only sony can tell you for sure. just to clarify, what i meant was there is no guarantee the cam leaves the factory with image sequence number reset to 0. as for shutter count, i'm not sure whether it will leave factory at 0 considering that qa testing would probably require some test shots. then again this number should be reasonably small.

My intention was to find out if the cam has been used intensively before (even though it looks new), hopefully through the filename or shutter count. And, i just learnt today, even some DSLRs have filename starting from few thousand when being sold.

conclusion is , i probably will never know the shutter count anytime soon, or ever. cos if i choose ask sony to check for me, it'll prob take some weeks. or some one may write a software to decode some hidden counters in v3??.

good luck in your quest bro. hope you find the answers you need to put you at ease. :)

Good point/qns. If the camera already has taken >9000 shots, there are sure signs of it being "used", imagine each day 10 shots, it will take more than 2 years!

afbug said:
Does the cam look used? Wear and tear, accessories packaged opened?

mudsoap said:
Hi,

I'm quite a newbie to photography, and recently got a sony v3 from AP, since it has quite a good 'name'. However I'm dissapointed with the quality of service it given me in two occasions.

Executive Summary:
My first photo taken with v3 starts with filename DSC.. 9000++ . I'm need to know how can I check the shutter count/click for the cam.

Full story:
Went to AP to enquire about the cam. Spoke first to a a very young guy. As i know from the promo, there's a ms stick voucher and 2 yrs extended warranty along with the cam. I asked him, and he said there's no more vouchers for the new stock anymore. and the warranty is one year. I asked him whether he wants to check with other 'older' guys, he stilll said there isn't.

So I waited a while and checked with another (older) guy. Well, viola, he confirmed there IS ms stick voucher and the warranty can be exchanged at sony bugis. Fine, I'll give the young guy the benefit of the doubt for the warrantly part, but for the memory stick?? I asked him to confirm and yet he insisted there's no voucher. don't know he's really ignorant or act blur!

So, i got the cam from AP on thursday. went back and found out the filename started from DSC.. 9000+ .jpg. Was shocked! Has the cam already taken 9000+ photos?

Went back on Sat 18 Dec to ask the same guy. At first he just give a reason that i need to format the card and it'll be alright. Luckily i brought a laptop + card reader along. I formatted the card using my laptop. put it back, and the counter is still the same.

I went back to shop, then he try to put a memory stick in and took four pictures and said "see, now it's 1/4, 2/4".. c'mon. I'm not an idiot. The filename is right below, and he's try to bluff me off by showing the no. of pictures in the card! I asked him to bring out a new cam and show me whether it's the same, then he said they are very busy (implying can't entertain me), and no more stock, even the display set! He ask me to go to sony gallery @ bugis to check. What kind of customer service is this?

I decide to go sony gallery to give it a try. and before i leave, I checked on the display, and THERE! I see a v3 displayed on the shelf! so is he trying to CHEAT ME by saying "there's no more stock, even the display is sold off"??!!

I'm utterly dissapointed by this kind of service it's providing. it's as though i look 'new' to photography and they not giving me a damn! Is it those who spend a lot on the shop/ or know the sales persons get better service?? I wonder??

All I can read here is speculations and accusations.

Filename continuation is inaccurate. Using a used MS Stick, the file count will continue from your MS Stick number.

Filename continuation is not shutter count.

9000 over shots taken without leaving a trace on the camera body is almost impossible. The only way you can get an answer is to send your camera back to Sony, let them evaluate it.

I'm closing this thread before anyone get sue for Defamation.

Status
Not open for further replies.