Backup your photos to hard disk without computer

It's a good idea to back up. I guess as photographers, we get comfy at times. I can't remember the external HDD brand name, but I used to use it every time when I traveled a lot last time.

Chances of SD card failing are slim. But they DO happen. It just needs to happen once to make you feel enough pain. So getting more cards is not the solution of a back up.

I think if you shop around those good shops selling camera accessories or memory cards, you might see such back up drives.

kiwi2 said:
It's a good idea to back up. I guess as photographers, we get comfy at times. I can't remember the external HDD brand name, but I used to use it every time when I traveled a lot last time.

Chances of SD card failing are slim. But they DO happen. It just needs to happen once to make you feel enough pain. So getting more cards is not the solution of a back up.

I think if you shop around those good shops selling camera accessories or memory cards, you might see such back up drives.

Tell me about it...my CF failed on me once and that's the end of all the photos inside. Luckily I had my backup camera...better than nothing.

It is always a case of do you have the money or not.

Cheapest way is to bring your existing laptop/netbook and thumbdrive to make 2 extra copies on top of your memory card, and this is for redundancy on the road but heavy.

Another way is to borrow a computer at the hotel to transfer to another thumbdrive but have render your SD/thumbdrive corrupted or with virus.

3rd way is to get those device to make a copy. This is expensive. The Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA 2 from Memory World costs $399 with no disk. Add a disk it will cost $470-$500++.

Another way is to use an Android phone, USB On-The-Go adapter and connect to transfer between SD (on reader) and Thumbdrive. This takes a long time (5MB-10MB per second depending on phone). Some Android Phones does not work with USB OTG adapter and some thumbdrive.

One more way which hardly anyone will use it unless important and got FREE WiFi. Setup a cloud at home. Transfer images back to your local hdd. Confirm safest n no scare lost. (Unless you super unlucky)

I just found out my router from Asus can support n its first model that support external hdd. I will setup one once I got fibre connection up. Heh heh!

Possible, provided you have fast upload. A consistent 2mbps upload you will need 4.5 hours just to upload to any cloud for a 4GB of data. I would not want to bet on something that I have no control on.

One more way which hardly anyone will use it unless important and got FREE WiFi. Setup a cloud at home. Transfer images back to your local hdd. Confirm safest n no scare lost. (Unless you super unlucky)

I just found out my router from Asus can support n its first model that support external hdd. I will setup one once I got fibre connection up. Heh heh!

Agree.. backing up thru wifi is not really practical. Even for 4GB of data, its going take hours.. and if it is only 4GB, might as well buy a few more memory card ...

Possible, provided you have fast upload. A consistent 2mbps upload you will need 4.5 hours just to upload to any cloud for a 4GB of data. I would not want to bet on something that I have no control on.

But buying extra memory card alone is not enough, because it is not backup.

I am going to try my android phone as backup host to transfer from sd card to thumb drive.

nothing much has changed for the past 2 years. iPad/Android/Surface do not have larger than 256GB storage. SSD at 256GB remains expensive. At the moment, the best on the go travel storage is still netbook. If you need anything less than 256GB, maybe just buy a few more memory cards.

Last edited:
yes, of course still need to back up on 2nd source ... but at least don't need to delete off the images from the card if it is only 4GB of data.
I think the method used for backup also depends on how much data you have and how important the images are :)

But buying extra memory card alone is not enough, because it is not backup.

I am going to try my android phone as backup host to transfer from sd card to thumb drive.

yewkwang said:
yes, of course still need to back up on 2nd source ... but at least don't need to delete off the images from the card if it is only 4GB of data.
I think the method used for backup also depends on how much data you have and how important the images are :)

Those who think by transferring card to drive and reuse card is save, that is not backup lor, just transfer of data :p