Backing up Ur Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockmastez

Mar 22, 2009
West Coast
Hi guys!!

Im new to this photography hobby.

Would like to know which format do u guys save n backup?
in DEF? RAW? or .....?

It will be depending on your need.

For my personal work, I tend to keep the RAW and the final Jpeg file and delete the rest.

For work, I generally only keep a few jpeg file which I like to use in the future and delete the rest once the client has placed their order.

Both of them are in raid configuration so I have at least double back up all the time.

Hope it helps.

At the end, it comes down to the cost and practicality.

Regards,

Hart

Would like to know which format do u guys save n backup?
in DEF? RAW? or .....?

RAW is the same as negative film. Why would you throw it?
Backup is a second set of your data, ask yourself which data are the most precious to you. Which data do you need to recover pictures that got lost (e.g. hard disk failure)?
A good idea is to have working data on RAID storage. For backup chose a different drive (external disk, external file storage box) and consider regular backups to DVD as alternative media. Store backups at a second place.

RAW is the same as negative film. Why would you throw it?
Backup is a second set of your data, ask yourself which data are the most precious to you. Which data do you need to recover pictures that got lost (e.g. hard disk failure)?
A good idea is to have working data on RAID storage. For backup chose a different drive (external disk, external file storage box) and consider regular backups to DVD as alternative media. Store backups at a second place.

Ouh ok ithink i got the spelling wrong its either raw or dng..

Ouh ok ithink i got the spelling wrong its either raw or dng..

It's not the spelling, I made a comparison with film cameras. The most original and unmodified version of a picture is either the RAW file (be it Canon's CR2, Nikon's NEF etc.) or the negative for film cameras. That's the data / material to keep by all means. In addition, processed intermediate versions might be worth keeping as well: PSD files with all layers etc, Lightroom catalog settings or wherever such data are stored.

Raw and final jpg file. Storage is cheap now. backup to portable.

I store my jpeg and raw to a Raid 5 server.
I upload all high res jpg to flickr, this act as a 2nd backup.
I burn all jpeg and raw to dvd, act as a third backup.

I know, I'm KS. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.