back street

rahulv

Jul 27, 2011
StreetBoatquay216DxO-L.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

composition and light

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

NOOB in street photography. found this back street interesting with just one person working there

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

i think i did a good job

Last edited:
1. in what area is critique to be sought?

composition and light

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

NOOB in street photography. found this back street interesting with just one person working there

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

i think i did a good job

Familiar Scene, should be near Singapore River at the Clarke Quay area. Also pretty near a bank. Came across this back alley, but without my camera. :)

Anyway back to the photograph, composition wise can be improved. A wider angle will be nicer. It might be a constraint with the chopped off top area, but if the top area towards the left is captured, it will be more wholesome. I suppose some near balance of air cons on the right will be better.

One way is take a shot inclined upwards and then use the keystone to make it vertical again. It shouldn't be too obvious that the keystone is re-aligned. You can use the following as an example, The Scarlet | Flickr - Photo Sharing!. I changed the keystone to make the buildings look vertical.

For post-processing, I will say a nostalgic mood will be suitable for this picture to bring out the mood.

thanks david, very good review

like your idea to distort the perspective little bit to get the composition right.

on that day i was carrying only 50mm. even if i had a wider lens, i could not have taken this. within minutes, the person cleaning his shop was gone and a lorry came in the scene.

and now say something good about it. :)