Back grounds are too bright

For D7000, one way is to bracket and fire 3 shots, then program U1 and U2 for another 3 shots each. so at the end, you will get all 9 shots different exposure. I've done and it worked too.

Check this out. - Nikon D7000 | HDRI Blog

lol,

ok, lets take the CDB scene for an example, if taken from esplanade or MBS side, other than night shots, the best time to take is in the morning, where as all skyscraper are in frontal lighting.
if shots are taken in the afternoon, all the building facing you will be in shadows, the colors will not be that vibrant, and it look hazy too, so would you prefer to photoshop/HDR it or come back in the morning?

Of course in the morning la!

But sometimes people like backlit images, i.e. near silhouette, so I guess that's where Photoshop will come into play.

Take for example this image:

6175506494_c95683aff2.jpg

Naturally the rock is better lit in the morning, etc... But you won't get those colors. And having all the rock in shadow (which is the actual base photo without blending) is just plain ugly...!

That said, all other things being equal, i.e. if you are going to get a blue sky in the morning and a blue sky in the evening and you really just want to see all the details, then the right timing is best. :)

lol,

ok, lets take the CDB scene for an example, if taken from esplanade or MBS side, other than night shots, the best time to take is in the morning, where as all skyscraper are in frontal lighting.
if shots are taken in the afternoon, all the building facing you will be in shadows, the colors will not be that vibrant, and it look hazy too, so would you prefer to photoshop/HDR it or come back in the morning?

Of course in the morning la!

But sometimes people like backlit images, i.e. near silhouette, so I guess that's where Photoshop will come into play.

Take for example this image:

6175506494_c95683aff2.jpg

Naturally the rock is better lit in the morning, etc... But you won't get those colors. And having all the rock in shadow (which is the actual base photo without blending) is just plain ugly...!

That said, all other things being equal, i.e. if you are going to get a blue sky in the morning and a blue sky in the evening and you really just want to see all the details, then the right timing is best. :)

agree with edutilus, if all things equal then morning on CBD will be better. but sometimes the best sky for the CBD is in the afternoon sunset where it's a magical orange/blue mix that sunrise just can't sometimes give. so i get 2 (or more) exposures and blend. IMO what's more important is you know what image you want in your mind's eye, you know the right timing and lighting for it, you know the techniques to achieve it, and the final output (image) is what you intended it to be. and not just shoot shoot shoot and rely on PP to hopefully get a decent image out of it. =)

off course I know the lighting at magic hour, I'm referring to TS taking shots at the board daylight.

these are some snapshots taken some time ago.

stock-photo-16947563-merlion-and-cbd-skyline.jpg

stock-photo-16947644-marina-bay-singapore.jpg

catchlights said:
off course I know the lighting at magic hour, I'm referring to TS taking shots at the board daylight.

these are some snapshots taken some time ago.

Ts is a student taking o levels this year so can't really come back another time haha. But thanks for all your comments la. I nvr really thought of all these :p

pbear1973 said:
Think student got more chance to go at other times.. we old people got too many other commitments even on weekends. >.<

You thought wrong my friend.

A simple solution is to use the EV compensation, add ev+ if you want the background brighter or ev- if you want the background darker.

You thought wrong my friend.

i got A lvls... i also went out to take photos... in fact i did an exhibition set...

oh did i mention i *****ed up my a lvls? so yes. pls study first.

heheh

A simple solution is to use the EV compensation, add ev+ if you want the background brighter or ev- if you want the background darker.
please read the question carefully before offer a solution.

there is a subject and a background TS's scenario, apparently the subject is exposed correctly but the background overexposed, if dial the EV compensation up or down, it will not balance up the exposure of these two.

please read the question carefully before offer a solution.

there is a subject and a background TS's scenario, apparently the subject is exposed correctly but the background overexposed, if dial the EV compensation up or down, it will not balance up the exposure of these two.
this one might be a little creative, and not sure if it might work. just throwing out random ideas

get 2 hard edge gnds and see what it can do? assuming ur obelisk allows taht much room for filters...

TS is too busy to go out to shoot, just let him photoshop whatever he want.

Yeah, he's busier than us old folks with long working hours on weekdays, "homework" on weekends, bringing the kids around all sorts of activities on the weekends, taking care of parents, etc, etc. Feel sorry for him. No childhood.

TS is too busy to go out to shoot, just let him photoshop whatever he want.
tilt screen backwards and read the quote again hahaha

but yes. if u really wanna take photo, go back repeatedly.just make sure u study.

tbh, taking 1 photo doesn't take too much extra effort. just go down 2-3 times can already

Last edited:
allenleonhart said:
tilt screen backwards and read the quote again hahaha

but yes. if u really wanna take photo, go back repeatedly.just make sure u study.

tbh, taking 1 photo doesn't take too much extra effort. just go down 2-3 times can already

True true. Go shooting with me la. Haha. Always go alone damn Sianz one

pbear1973 said:
Yeah, he's busier than us old folks with long working hours on weekdays, "homework" on weekends, bringing the kids around all sorts of activities on the weekends, taking care of parents, etc, etc. Feel sorry for him. No childhood.

Kids like us report to school earlier than u old folks usually reach the office thn go home around de same time use to extra lessons, CCA etc. at least old folks dun need to run around in the office like some madman finding teachers and ppl who ponteng CCA etc. week ends have tuition and study groups. Naggy parent etc. no childhood indeed

Likely you mean EV -1 or -2 for the sky, right? Nevertheless, have a look at the size of the obelisk, consider the daylight, which hotshoe flash would be of any help here...? Even at FEV +2 quite impossible.

+1 or +2 is correct, because you are metering the sky.

Ya the size is an issue... TS never mention how big. HDR using bracketing is the best bet liao...

Kids like us report to school earlier than u old folks usually reach the office thn go home around de same time use to extra lessons, CCA etc. at least old folks dun need to run around in the office like some madman finding teachers and ppl who ponteng CCA etc. week ends have tuition and study groups. Naggy parent etc. no childhood indeed

This is getting OT.. but nevermind, some day you will know. :)