Avoid PHOTOCAM ELECTRONICS CITY @ #01-04 Peninsula Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... Both the Nikon D300 and the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR are discontinued. Assuming Photocam kept them all the while, and assuming that prices have not moved since they were discontinued (i.e they retain their lowest publicity published street price), then:

Nikon D300 dSLR - S$2,000
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - S$1,000

Therefore, the total for the 2 items is S$3,000. S$200 for the rest of the items may be a little costly, but well, I won't be so hasty to call this a scam yet.

TS, have you tried to go back and get a receipt? Also, can you clarify if the products you purchased were new? Or were there indication that they were 2nd hand?

Ya, the TS please clarify

The model I bought is D300 no "s". I recalled, on the day of purchase the salesman took so long to get the goods. Also before I made this post, I was sold a Sunblitz ND4 72mm filter for $90 and a thrid-party battery (ittou EN-EL3e) for $80. Still a newbie in photography I just bought it. I was told that filters are not that expensive and the price of the third party battery is way too high. Therefore I posted this thread. And I will find time to go down there and request for a receipt.

The model I bought is D300 no "s". I recalled, on the day of purchase the salesman took so long to get the goods. Also before I made this post, I was sold a Sunblitz ND4 72mm filter for $90 and a thrid-party battery (ittou EN-EL3e) for $80. Still a newbie in photography I just bought it. I was told that filters are not that expensive and the price of the third party battery is way too high. Therefore I posted this thread. And I will find time to go down there and request for a receipt.

yah, do update us on the requesting for the receipt part :)

What makes TS think that $3200 for D300 and 18-200VR is a scam price? Pls enlighten.

Anyway Who to blame? U know I know lah.

Filter wise, it's hard to say. it might be a good filter but all i know is Hoya, Tokina, Emolux and premium B+W.

For the price you paid for the battery you can easily get 5 third party EN-EL3e batteries or even 1 original nikon battery (You might even get some change).

You should really do your homework before splurging into heavy purchases. No matter if it's computer parts or camera. I'm assuming you are 18 or older, if you wanna redeem yourself, please take out part time or freelance jobs to repay your mum.

You are lucky to have such a great mother who is willing to spend $3k on a camera for you. Be a good son/daughter.

Filter wise, it's hard to say. it might be a good filter but all i know is Hoya, Tokina, Emolux and premium B+W.

For the price you paid for the battery you can easily get 5 third party EN-EL3e batteries or even 1 original nikon battery (You might even get some change).

You should really do your homework before splurging into heavy purchases. No matter if it's computer parts or camera. I'm assuming you are 18 or older, if you wanna redeem yourself, please take out part time or freelance jobs to repay your mum.

You are lucky to have such a great mother who is willing to spend $3k on a camera for you. Be a good son/daughter.

yah, i dnt even dare to ask my mum last time for this kind of money

What makes TS think that $3200 for D300 and 18-200VR is a scam price? Pls enlighten.

Anyway Who to blame? U know I know lah.

TS paid 3200 for a D300 + 18-200mm VR1 (?), flash (?) ,filter (90) and 3rd party batt (80)?.

He did not mention how much is the flash, but exclude filter, batt and assume the flash cost est 100, the D300 and lens costs 2930. As TS still has not clarify if the d300 and lens are brand new or 2nd hand, thus there are BIG room for argument.:think:

"I got Scammed by this shop. Sold me a D300 body, AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-20mm f/3.5~5.6G, EMOBLITZ DPZ420AF flash with a 1mm UV and 72mm CPL for SGD$3200." -> he did not mention batt here but in later pm.

well,my friend got her 500D from the shop and everything(price,package,etc) is ok,
and usually I went to peninsula,I will just chit chat with the photocam boss,
even no buy the boss won't scold me or what,feel like a friend more than a customer,
so I usually get some accessories(blower,monopod,etc) from them.

I like the service offer by the boss compare with other shop like MS/Cathay/etc.
when I shop at other shops like MS/Cathay/etc,if you ask for price,
they will just tell you the price then remain silence.some even scold me for not buying.
I know I shouldn't ask for more like a pepsi if I am not going to buy:bsmilie:

but the boss "offer" chit chat service if there are no other customers,
I just like to visit photocam when the boss are in,
because the boss is friendly compare with other photocam stuff,especially his wife:sweat:

I didn't know photocam sold 2nd hand stuff.
Most probaly old new stock. And like been said by a bro here dealing with the boss is much better than dealing with the wife or the other old guy.
If new to photography totally avoid the shop research before stepping in.
End of the day it's a business with high competition, if don't know anything and walk in even reputable shop will chop carrot.
Cheers

The problem is except that the receipt isn't issued (Maybe shop owner is blur sleepy), TS post doesn't states what is the problem that cause a scam.

TS paid 3200 for a D300 + 18-200mm VR1 (?), flash (?) ,filter (90) and 3rd party batt (80)?.

He did not mention how much is the flash, but exclude filter, batt and assume the flash cost est 100, the D300 and lens costs 2930. As TS still has not clarify if the d300 and lens are brand new or 2nd hand, thus there are BIG room for argument.:think:

"I got Scammed by this shop. Sold me a D300 body, AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-20mm f/3.5~5.6G, EMOBLITZ DPZ420AF flash with a 1mm UV and 72mm CPL for SGD$3200." -> he did not mention batt here but in later pm.

D300 body + AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-20mm f/3.5~5.6G + EMOBLITZ DPZ420AF flash + a 1mm UV and 72mm CPL + Nikon EN-EL3e batt. I then later bought a filter(90) and a 3rd party batt (80).

I cannot tell whether the body and lens are 2nd hand cause both looks new to me and I am still a newbie in photography. But on that day of purchase, the salesman went off quite long to get the product which has been in my mind for a long time that something is not right. I concluded as a scam cause my last purchase was a 3rd party battery cost SGD$80 and sunblitz 72mm ND4 filter SGD$90. As for the price of the flash, I had forgotten. I only remembered the packaged price.

Please tell me If I had misunderstood this shop?? Cause I read the previous posts made by other members, some say that shop is good and some say not???? I am quite confused here. And as for the receipt, I will head to the shop to ask one, next week.

i think it's a typical case of selling accessories at escalated price but price for body + lens seems reasonable. Original Nikon EN-EL3e i got a fews back for $49 so definately got chopped for that, Sunblitz filter, don't know what kok brand is that... EMOBLITZ flash :think:

actually I think is a case of TS being too eager once his mum pass him the money, since not hard earn money just go and wack. with that budget of $3K, could have gotten a better overall set up if plan wisely. oh well, it's not that bad... time to move on n enjoy shooting

I won't say Photocam is a shop who always try to scam people.

Well, since I'm free, let me share my view towards Photocam shop.

I myself do shop for accessories at Photocam. However, I did my homework before, and went to check prices of various accessories. Photocam doesn't quote me high and unreasonable price.

However they don't give the best price around in town.

I've seen honest cases, like a Ang moh who bought a D3000 with kit and all neccessary free gifts for $780.

I've also seen dishonest cases, like selling normal aluminium tripods and filters at unreasonable prices.

Their marketing Strategies is that they will quote you at a very high price first, and let u negotiate.

From $300 item, I can negotiate till $230-240.

Their marketing Strategies is that they will quote you at a very high price first, and let u negotiate.

like that waste everybody's time :thumbsd:

I won't say Photocam is a shop who always try to scam people.

Well, since I'm free, let me share my view towards Photocam shop.

I myself do shop for accessories at Photocam. However, I did my homework before, and went to check prices of various accessories. Photocam doesn't quote me high and unreasonable price.

However they don't give the best price around in town.

I've seen honest cases, like a Ang moh who bought a D3000 with kit and all neccessary free gifts for $780.

I've also seen dishonest cases, like selling normal aluminium tripods and filters at unreasonable prices.

So which is true? :dunno:

I'm assuming that you didn't hand over that amount in cash, right ? If you paid by credit card you have proof of purchase via your credit card statement. Take that to the shop and demand a proper tax invoice. If they refuse just mention sending their details to the tax office. You would be amazed how attitudes change after that threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.