Avoid PHOTOCAM ELECTRONICS CITY @ #01-04 Peninsula Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

bababong

Aug 13, 2010
I got Scammed by this shop. Sold me a D300 body, AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-20mm f/3.5~5.6G, EMOBLITZ DPZ420AF flash with a 1mm UV and 72mm CPL for SGD$3200.
I do not know much about where are the best place to buy/shop for a DSLR. Really angry when I found out I got scammed. I should had do some homework properly before going out to buy one.

Just to WARN all people who are new to photography and passionate about it. Do avoid PHOTOCAM ELECTRONICS CITY @ #01-04 Peninsula Plaza or just avoid most camera shops @ Peninsula Plaza. Never buy a DSLR no matter how cheap it is. Warranty is equally important.

Felt angry and sad after I found out that I was scammed. They didn't even gave me a receipt.
Was so happy about the new camera that I forgotten about the receipt. I had learn that receipts are important for Nikon services that are covered by the warranty.

I thought that I could get DSLR camera and accessories at cheap prices. Cause as a student, I do not have much cash to spend and the cash I had, are my allowances given by my mum. Felt really guilty that I got my mum's hard earn money been scammed.

Don't Really knew how to post images here since I am new. Do avoid PHOTOCAM ELECTRONICS CITY @ #01-04 Peninsula Plaza or just avoid most camera shops @ Peninsula Plaza.

If this is too long here's another post by another member:http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4445329

Hope this helps many newbies like me who are passionate about photography.

err.. Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza is still ok lar..no need avoid the whole place..

How come don't go back to the shop to ask for the receipt? Since most probably they won't refund you, just get the receipt for future warranty purposes...

Sorry to hear that, next time try to go to the recommended shops by CS

Yup its too late to go back and ask for a receipt. No point crying over the split milk. Was thinking how to avoid these kinds of shops and tips in shopping for a DSLR and DSLR equipment.

so wat went wrg?

sorry, might be i slow but i read the whole post and i can't seem to figure wat the TS is talking abt?

price too expensive? no receipt given? He forgot to ask for receipt?

getting a receipt should not be a problem. Getting one with the $3,200 amount on it might. You should go back and ask them to provide you with an official receipt. This will allow you to claim warranty should there be a problem. Of course, unless they sold you a gray set...

It should benamed PHOTOSCAM.... What do you think....:dunno:

TS: "Sold me a D300 body, AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor 18-20mm f/3.5~5.6G, EMOBLITZ DPZ420AF flash with a 1mm UV and 72mm CPL for SGD$3200".

From what TS mentioned, both items D300 and 18-200mm VR I are already EOLed, so he bought 2nd hand or old stock??? TS also did not breakdown each items.
If the shop charged close retail price for D300 ($2688) and 18-200mm VR I ($1329), both can be easilty > 3K already.
All big retail stores like Courts, Harvey Norman, Challenger, charges full retail price for the cam body and lens, unless promotion.
Before TS labelled the shop he purchased the items as scammer, he needs to be careful, else the shop can counter sue him for slander.

err.. Cathay Photo in Peninsula Plaza is still ok lar..no need avoid the whole place..

How come don't go back to the shop to ask for the receipt? Since most probably they won't refund you, just get the receipt for future warranty purposes...

And K13 is ok too...

Yup avoid the shop.. the people there used pushy tactics to make u buy when u asked..

just go back and askfor receipt.They have no reason not to give u one.

After that, go to CASE.

Is it the D300 or D300s? A missing letter like that makes a lot of difference to the price. If it's an "s" model then you didn't get scammed. Without the "s", can consider you paid a premium for it. Either way, go out and use the camera, enjoy photography - priceless. ;)

Hmm... Both the Nikon D300 and the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR are discontinued. Assuming Photocam kept them all the while, and assuming that prices have not moved since they were discontinued (i.e they retain their lowest publicity published street price), then:

Nikon D300 dSLR - S$2,000
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - S$1,000

Therefore, the total for the 2 items is S$3,000. S$200 for the rest of the items may be a little costly, but well, I won't be so hasty to call this a scam yet.

TS, have you tried to go back and get a receipt? Also, can you clarify if the products you purchased were new? Or were there indication that they were 2nd hand?

look on a bright side, the 2nd hand set in the Bns is still going for unrealistically price, around 1.5-1.6k
it same era models like the a700 and 40d is going for around 750-1000...
so u just paid a slightly premium price for yr gear. btw have u check with friends before buying?

The price to pay for 2nd hand items from shop and CS BnS section can be different, as the shop needs to pay for overhead such as rental and staff. Agreed with rests, go down to demand for a receipt, the shop has no reason to deny you a receipt, even if they are 2nd hand and no more warranty.

Guys please justify this.

I was at Photo Cam one Saturday to take a look at some accessories.

One Caucasian guy, seems to be from overseas, came in and bought a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 kit Lens for $780 with free normal UV filter 8gb, normal bag and a cleaning kit. So is this a good deal ?

One Caucasian guy, seems to be from overseas, came in and bought a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 kit Lens for $780 with free normal UV filter 8gb, normal bag and a cleaning kit. So is this a good deal ?

Fair price, may not be lowest, for the D3000 kit set. Retail price is 888:bsmilie:

Its a good price (used to be 840). A successor has been launch, expect the price to go further down

ya, now wanna get 2nd hand even cheaper... just go Bns see..

Status
Not open for further replies.