Avid MC or Premiere CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
In this case is it Apple to Apple or Apple to Orange?

do enlighten.

Apple to windows.. not orange.. ;) just kidding

Personal preference...1st choice FCP, 2nd choice Premiere CS4, 3rd AVID.

Sorry, i don't mean AVID no good.. infact it is powerful and most broadcaster's choice.. but also many moving towards FCP instead.

is just my personal preference..
Anyway premiere is getting better and better nowdays.

:)

The choice will lie mainly on your workflow requirements.

If you're doing mostly corporate work where you finish your product entirely on your own, limited to maybe DV/HDV or file-based delivery, then both software will not be an issue as long as your job gets delivered, and client is happy.

If you're doing broadcast or film related work where you need to be sending your work to different departments for finishing, then my choice is Avid Media Composer if you're stuck in the Windoze domain.

And if you have clients paying real money & sitting beside you and breathing down your neck to get the work done, I'd choose Avid if stuck on a Windoze platform, but give me FCP anytime if Mac platform is in the selection. :thumbsup:

I think it depends on what you gonna do...

if you're editing mainly DV/HDV, get a Premiere CS4 with some matrox realtime card, and you can have a pretty efficient realtime system...with fancy effects to play with, relatively easy to use.

otherwise get a FCP...very easy to learn and work with, but FCP can take quite long to render if you're working with many effects, corrections and multi-format transcodings between HD/SD, etc.

Media Composer is real high-end. Its like driving a real powerful rally car...full manual with differentials and stuff....but there's abit of a learning curve. The new MC3.5 and 4 allows true seamless playback across different formats/frame rates, useful in the Broadcast world.

Media Composer is available on both Mac and Windows. :cool:

so which versions of Media Composer & Nitris DS are you running and on what platforms? :thumbsup:

"The new MC3.5 and 4 allows true seamless playback across different formats/frame rates, useful in the Broadcast world."

I believe FCP does the same thing from version 5 or 6. If I am not wrong, Premiere can do it now too.

I think it is a matter of cost. Avid systems used to cost tens of thousands and was hardware-dependent, while FCP works on any Mac that is reasonably configured at below $10K. Even today, MC software cost 5 times more than FCS. Some people might say windows machines are cheaper. But when you are running Avid, you'll also likely be getting a high-end workstation or Nitris.

So my take is that FCP is now the market leader mainly becos of lower cost. Avid wanted to go the exclusivity high-end route or was slow to react. Look at Da Vinci... $100K becomes $1K... $50K broadcast cameras are now replaced by $10k-$20k Panasonic hpx370 or sony PMW-350.

Avid is still in the game simply only because of old birds who stuck with it or legacy systems such as those owned by MediaCorp. If there is a new broadcast station tomorrow, they could very well be building FCP studios instead?

Don't forget about the aft sales support from Avid!
They are killing themselves.. :dunno:

Last edited:
Media Composer version 5.0 (Mac and PC) and Avid DS v 10.3

At your time of posting, Media Composer 5 isn't even out for retail or upgrades yet.
If they are already available, then i'll answer your next question:

I don't see why that is stupid.

Because Avid support SUCKS! Avid only support 'big' clients who buy off 5-10 workstations.
As an independent facility buying and configuring my own system, they don't even give a ****.
If not for my training requirements, I wouldn't even have considered upgrading my old XpressDV system to MC4.

:nono:

At your time of posting, Media Composer 5 isn't even out for retail or upgrades yet.
If they are already available, then i'll answer your next question:

Because Avid support SUCKS! Avid only support 'big' clients who buy off 5-10 workstations.
As an independent facility buying and configuring my own system, they don't even give a ****.
If not for my training requirements, I wouldn't even have considered upgrading my old XpressDV system to MC4.

:nono:

You ask me what version I am using, I am just answering exactly what i am using.

As for support, everything come with a cost. If you have use the product as based on qualified system and a valid support contract even if you buy just 1 MC, Avid will obligated to service you. It is not true that Avid only support people who buy multiple systems.

Support has certain boundary, no manufacturer will guarantee performance and operation in any kind configuration and use. There will always be some terms and condition.

You ask me what version I am using, I am just answering exactly what i am using.

As for support, everything come with a cost. If you have use the product as based on qualified system and a valid support contract even if you buy just 1 MC, Avid will obligated to service you. It is not true that Avid only support people who buy multiple systems.

Support has certain boundary, no manufacturer will guarantee performance and operation in any kind configuration and use. There will always be some terms and condition.

If certain Avid products had meant to be based only on 'Qualified' & 'Recommended' systems and that end users cannot build their own systems, then why even bother to release software-only versions?

This totally defeats the point of allowing users to buy software-only products from Avid and that they refuse to support customers who don't buy 'Qualified' turnkey systems from the authorised dealers.

I'll tell you what local Avid reseller told me when I gotten my 1st Avid XpressDV 3.0 a couple of years back. It goes exactly like what you've mentioned about support, "Sorry, you've only bought the software from us...we aren't able to support you..."
When 3.5 version came out, reseller told me same thing...."sorry, you aren't eligible for crossgrade upgrade package because you're not under our support." It's not like I'm asking for free upgrade! Hell I was willing to pay!

Since then, I've edited with Avid products for a couple more years, running XpressDV, old AVBV based MediaComposer v5.6 & v7, before jumping ship to FCP and am happy with that till today.
Pre-complete switch over to FCP in the previous post house I worked for, we wanted to get Avid Adrenaline system, but again, reseller proved to be 'too busy' to entertain us. Ended up that we've spent the same amount of money on two FCP suites instead of a single Adrenaline system.

I have more nightmare stories about Avid support I can tell, but am not going to start an Avid bashing thread here.....End of the day, I must admit that Avid is a good editing interface, and that my FCP shortcuts are still mapped to what I am using for Avid. :D

I use FCP from version 1 till now, never call Apple once. Even if I did, I think they probably blame me for installing 3rd party software. Their standard advice, re-install the OS and FCP :bsmilie:

Anyway, the best support I got then was the formal WWUG forum which is the famous Creative Cow now:thumbsup:

I remember when I was working in TCS/Mediacorp, the maintenance told me to give them a chance to troubleshoot the AVID before we call the AVID maintenance. I ask him why so, he said the management is concerned with the $400 AVID charges for every trip. So the first level of repair should come from the in-house maintenance.

But I really pity the maintenance cause they were quite clueless with computers. Non linear editing was new then. Here's their famous steps for troubleshooting:

1) insert in the famous Disk Warrior and pray.
and if that doesn't work :D
2) they will strongly advise you to re-install everything.

Imagine all this happen when you are rushing out a programme.:bigeyes:

9.99999 times out of 10 they ended up paying AVID. I remember I see Christopher Tay (for those who know him) in TCS/Mediacorp more than I see my father at home in a month.:bsmilie:

If certain Avid products had meant to be based only on 'Qualified' & 'Recommended' systems and that end users cannot build their own systems, then why even bother to release software-only versions?

This totally defeats the point of allowing users to buy software-only products from Avid and that they refuse to support customers who don't buy 'Qualified' turnkey systems from the authorised dealers.

I'll tell you what local Avid reseller told me when I gotten my 1st Avid XpressDV 3.0 a couple of years back. It goes exactly like what you've mentioned about support, "Sorry, you've only bought the software from us...we aren't able to support you..."
When 3.5 version came out, reseller told me same thing...."sorry, you aren't eligible for crossgrade upgrade package because you're not under our support." It's not like I'm asking for free upgrade! Hell I was willing to pay!

Since then, I've edited with Avid products for a couple more years, running XpressDV, old AVBV based MediaComposer v5.6 & v7, before jumping ship to FCP and am happy with that till today.
Pre-complete switch over to FCP in the previous post house I worked for, we wanted to get Avid Adrenaline system, but again, reseller proved to be 'too busy' to entertain us. Ended up that we've spent the same amount of money on two FCP suites instead of a single Adrenaline system.

I have more nightmare stories about Avid support I can tell, but am not going to start an Avid bashing thread here.....End of the day, I must admit that Avid is a good editing interface, and that my FCP shortcuts are still mapped to what I am using for Avid. :D

You've only used up till MediaComposer v7? Wahahahahahahaha!! Uncle! Nitris liao lah! Whahahahahahahahahahah!

You've only used up till MediaComposer v7? Wahahahahahahaha!! Uncle! Nitris liao lah! Whahahahahahahahahahah!

Actively (Day-in & day-out) used up till MC 7. Non-actively used and cut broadcast programs with all versions of Media Composer up till v11, meridian systems, Adrenaline DNA based system, Nitris, and Symphony.

This uncle got keep up...otherwise how to be in the industry?! ;)

Last edited:
9.99999 times out of 10 they ended up paying AVID. I remember I see Christopher Tay (for those who know him) in TCS/Mediacorp more than I see my father at home in a month.:bsmilie:

Even he jump-shipped to become SI for FCP products! heheheheh...that says a lot about Avid isn't it? :bsmilie:

By means of software version only provides customer the choice of having or not having the I/O interface to reduce cost to the customer. Especially nowadays with file based cameras, there is a trend of not needing a I/O box or a low cost I/O device.

Avid do qualify CPU for both high end and also cost effective systems. In order to guarantee performance it not likely to support all types of system configurations. It is impossible to cater to all sort of DIY configurations system. When Avid put on paper this systems works this way and with this system it is backup by many hours of testing and quality assurance, and should any thing breaks as stated as "qualified" Avid will fix it. I believe you do know for professional video playback performance everything need to be real time and must be frame accurate, color accurate and no drop frame nonsense. In order to have such performance there must be some minimum specifications.

It is this guaranteed performance Avid products are used by broadcasters and many of those big budget films you seen recently and previously.
Even customer like you would benefit, delivering your project on time for your customer and should it come to a crunch it is a system you can depend on.

Avid believe and value customer like yourself that have use and supported Avid products in long term. I am sorry for the bad experiences you had with the reseller you have contacted.
I can only say, should you have interest in any Avid product and the reseller is not talking to you. Feel free to PM me and I'll ensure someone will talk to you. Avid would definitely like to clear this "bad air" that has been around for years and that is the aim of the new management.

Should anyone like to know more about MC do feel free to PM me or download the 30 days trial version from Avid website. If more people like to know more about MC I can always organize a short training session and demo.

Avid or not Avid is just like Nikon vs Canon and that the arguments have been on and on for so long.

At the end of the day, I would say as an Editor, use what you are most familiar and happy with because getting that job done faster and make more money that is the most important, just to link back to the original topic of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.