At the heart of Nikon is a Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thread that has no meaning...

Why is the discussion of the internals of an important Nikon product not meaningful in a "Nikon Equipment" forum?

At least some folks pointed out that the "sum is bigger than the parts". The key question is then "ok - how important is this part?" Are you saying, "sensor not important, just use any tom, dick, and harry will do."

What matters more is how the whole product works. I don't care if Nikon uses Canon sensor, Leica sensor, Samsung sensor or what. If it takes good pictures and it's easy to use, it's a good camera.

Why is the discussion of the internals of an important Nikon product not meaningful in a "Nikon Equipment" forum?

At least some folks pointed out that the "sum is bigger than the parts". The key question is then "ok - how important is this part?" Are you saying, "sensor not important, just use any tom, dick, and harry will do."
well, you're entitled to feel that knowing the manufacturer of the sensor is important.

I'm with most of them. I feel that as long as it delivers, knowing who made it is not really important.

For example, Volkswagen produces a lot of the engines found in Audi's range of cars. This is an example of 'economies of scale', and it should take nothing away from Audi as a premium brand. I would hazard a guess that the main reason why people buy an Audi is not because they think the engine is made by Audi.

well that's my 2c.

ZerocoolAstra said:
well, you're entitled to feel that knowing the manufacturer of the sensor is important.

I'm with most of them. I feel that as long as it delivers, knowing who made it is not really important.

For example, Volkswagen produces a lot of the engines found in Audi's range of cars. This is an example of 'economies of scale', and it should take nothing away from Audi as a premium brand. I would hazard a guess that the main reason why people buy an Audi is not because they think the engine is made by Audi.

well that's my 2c.

Just to add, skoda now uses vw engines too. The Octavia is a rebadged Jetta. The vw 1.8t engine is in so many brands and models.

It is the same how many old CRT monitors uses Sony and nec tubes.

Also how most telcos lease lines from singtel in SG. And most telco lease lines from AT&T in the US.

This practice is not new. Economies of scale and specialization.

Last edited:
Samsung supply LCD for Apple iPhone

well that's my 2c.

OT: but vw really screwed up the porsche cayenne 3.0 v6 engine with many calling this variant barely worthy of the badge :D turbo and turbo s using porsche engines though

It's an open secret. Most lens/camera companies has ties in one way or another be it in the past or currently... Fuji and Nikon? Fuji used Nikon body design. Canon and Nikon? Nikon use to supply lens to Canon. And all of them survive well :)

UncleFai said:
Just that the history is interesting lor... Nikon began life as a lens manufacturer for Canon. When Nikon had their own camera range, Canon kicked them out. Nikon's first digital cameras were in partnership with Kodak. Now they use Sony sensors, but then Sony launched their own DSLR range. Some forums I have seen says "no pride solution." Well, we shall see... will the new Sony 24MP APS-C sensor be used in the D400? The saga continues...

-Nikon (Nippon Kogaku) made military optics.
-Canon (Kwannon) contracted them to make lenses for their cameras.
-Canon decided to make their own optics.
-Nikon decided to make their own cameras.

blah blah blah..
Digital age..
-Nikon designs their own sensors but contracted to someone else to make.
-Nikon supplies litho/stepper to Sony for full frame sensors. There was an agreement to run Nikon designed sensors in the fab. Sony has their own variation of the sensors.
-Nikon adopted the Sony designed sensors in their newer cameras mainly due to Sony sensors having a better Liveview and contrast detect circuitry.

Bottomline, don't fool with Japanese companies. Even though they appear to be competitors, they have very good relationship with each other. That's why they are able to dominate the market. Each manufacturer takes turn to release compelling products. They give each other a lot of room to grow and to compete. Their competition is always healthy and many have big banks backing them.

"At the heart of Nikon is a Sony"..... and the blood of nikon power the heart. ;)

PS. it is not too much of a surprise for me when I know about it the first time. :)

Last edited:
Once Nikon uses Fujifilm sensors.... it would be invincible ..... keke

ZerocoolAstra said:
Oh my gawd!!!
You mean the iPhone isn't made in the states???

Hahaha

It is made by foxconn in china.

China!!! *faint*

Btw, iPhones never saw light of day in any apple building in Cupertino. Once manufactured and packaged, it is directly drop shipped to distributors all over the world. Even the packaging ordered by apple is shipped to foxconn direct, not apple.

I thought this is long known fact already. What's the big hoo haa? :dunno::dunno:

Nikon is a camera company. Imaging sensors are electronic chips, have to be made by electronic companies with waferfab capability. We'd be more likely to see sensors from Casio or Samsung (or even Intel) before seeing one from Nikon (or Leica, or Zeiss, or any pure camera-making company). Sony was not a camera company before the digital era; they fast-tracked into the camera market with their huge deep pockets by buying out a camera company. Canon is a special case, they were into cameras as well as electronics well before the digital wave.

There's nothing to stop Nikon from acquiring their own waferfab, but it would mean sustaining an entire electronics r&d and manufacturing arm. To make it financially viable the sensors would have to at least match up to what they're buying from Sony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.